Pages: 1
  Print  
Author Topic: Animated tiles/tilesets  (Read 2697 times)
Offline (Unknown gender) luiscubal
Posted on: August 08, 2011, 08:34:45 AM

View Profile Email
Using RPG Maker 2000, I remembered the concept of animated tiles.
Of course, I don't suggest a tiling algorithm nearly as complex as RPG Maker's, but still I figured a small useful subset of it could be interesting in ENIGMA.

Here's what I propose for ENIGMA:
Create an image. Specify that the tileset has only one column, and each tile has 32x32.
Now, make the tileset have (32*N)x32, and specify in the tile editor that the animation has N frames.

Of course, some extra options would be useful, to better specify animations and ensure backwards compatibility with GM, but I just wanted to give an idea of what I meant.

Here's some options ENIGMA would need to have:
Number of animations
X delta per animation(32 in the example above)
Y delta per animation(0 in the example above)
Animation speed?
Animation order?(1-2-3 or 1-2-3-2) RPG Maker has this but I don't know if it's really necessary. What do you guys think?
Offline (Male) RetroX
Reply #1 Posted on: August 08, 2011, 09:12:00 AM

Master of all things Linux
Contributor
MSN Messenger - classixretrox@gmail.com
View Profile Email
If you're going to have an animation order, that might as well apply to sprites, too.  It overcomplicates things, but avoids extra space being wasted for duplicate frames.
My Box: Phenom II 3.4GHz X4 | ASUS ATI RadeonHD 5770, 1GB GDDR5 RAM | 1x4GB DDR3 SRAM | Arch Linux, x86_64 (Cube) / Windows 7 x64 (Blob)
Quote from: Fede-lasse
Why do all the pro-Microsoft people have troll avatars? :(
Post made August 08, 2011, 09:40:30 AM was deleted at the author's request.
Reply #3 Posted on: August 08, 2011, 10:26:04 AM

View Profile Email
@Fede-lasse I propose this would just be an additional set of options, which did not change the current behavior.
By setting a tileset's "number of animated frames" to "1"(the default), the behavior would be exactly like GM's.
Offline (Male) Josh @ Dreamland
Reply #4 Posted on: August 08, 2011, 12:34:04 PM

Prince of all Goldfish
Developer

View Profile Email
Two words: Static sprites.
"That is the single most cryptic piece of code I have ever seen." -Master PobbleWobble
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -Evelyn Beatrice Hall, Friends of Voltaire
Reply #5 Posted on: August 08, 2011, 01:42:50 PM

View Profile Email
@Josh
Not sure what you mean. Could you be a bit more clear?
Reply #6 Posted on: August 08, 2011, 07:41:09 PM

Prince of all Goldfish
Developer

View Profile Email
I think static sprites is something Yoyo has implemented. If not, they should have. Basically, you place sprites in the room along with the tiles.
"That is the single most cryptic piece of code I have ever seen." -Master PobbleWobble
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -Evelyn Beatrice Hall, Friends of Voltaire
Offline (Unknown gender) TheExDeus
Reply #7 Posted on: August 09, 2011, 05:57:11 AM

Developer

View Profile
I agree. Modifying background resource could be too much pain in the ass. So just allowing to place sprites in the room would be a good and relatively easy solution.
Reply #8 Posted on: August 09, 2011, 08:15:31 AM

View Profile Email
@Josh but then you lose the ability to have multiple tiles in one single tileset, which is one of the greatest advantages of using tiles.
(although I admit it would be better than nothing)
Reply #9 Posted on: August 09, 2011, 02:30:45 PM

Developer

View Profile
It would be pain in the ass to have multiple frames for multiple tiles in one tileset anyway. Either we need to add frames to background resource or allow static sprites. You wouldn't animate every tile on the screen anyway (or I wouldn't) as animations would be for things like grass or trees, not dirt or rock.
Reply #10 Posted on: August 09, 2011, 04:01:48 PM

Prince of all Goldfish
Developer

View Profile Email
besides, we could easily present a directory full of sprites as a tileset to choose from.

Anyway, animated tiles would screw up the whole scheme I drew up for fast tile drawing. Static sprites can be tacked on after each layer.
Reply #11 Posted on: August 09, 2011, 05:41:10 PM

View Profile Email
Sprites could be enough if the room editor is properly done.

Suppose I have a world with land and water, then multiple objects on top of that. I want to be able to edit the objects independently of what's underneath. So if I click in the wrong place I won't have the sea be accidentally removed. GM allows this today with tiles. Would LGM have this feature for sprites-on-rooms?
Reply #12 Posted on: August 09, 2011, 06:59:55 PM

Developer

View Profile
I think it would probably just work like the normal tiles. So if you meant that you can't delete tiles while editing objects, then yes, of course you won't be able to delete sprites while editing instances. You could maybe delete background tiles while doing that though. But as there isn't any implementation for static sprites, and knowing the speed things get done here - I doubt we will have to worry about this for quite a while.

Also, just to make people less sad about the slow progress - paths and motion planning (mp_) are being worked on. Paths are basically done and mp_ is slowly made as well. I commit them together even if paths are not totally finished. I was waiting on the extension system but it will apparently not be done in the coming weeks. Also, mp_ doesn't really work without paths, so they both would be probably the same extension (or at least mp_ would be dependent on paths while paths wouldn't be dependent on mp_).
Offline (Female) IsmAvatar
Reply #13 Posted on: August 09, 2011, 07:00:45 PM

LateralGM Developer
LGM Developer

View Profile Email
If ENIGMA can support it, LGM support won't be far behind.
At some point, though, before we start mass introducing these GM-incompatible features, we need some proposals on how to deal with when the user tries to press "Save As GMK" on a game full of EGM-specific features... This is not the topic to discuss that, though.
Pages: 1
  Print