Pages: 1 2 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ENIGMA Project Icons  (Read 3729 times)
Offline (Male) RetroX
Posted on: April 22, 2011, 08:32:08 PM

Master of all things Linux
Contributor
MSN Messenger - classixretrox@gmail.com
View Profile Email
Might make sense to have some kind of icon for both GM projects and ENIGMA projects (not made yet), so that they can be used for file associations.

I've mentioned this a million times before, but whatever.  Does anyone have enough artistic ability to work on this?  We really only need two icons.
My Box: Phenom II 3.4GHz X4 | ASUS ATI RadeonHD 5770, 1GB GDDR5 RAM | 1x4GB DDR3 SRAM | Arch Linux, x86_64 (Cube) / Windows 7 x64 (Blob)
Quote from: Fede-lasse
Why do all the pro-Microsoft people have troll avatars? :(
Offline (Unknown gender) luiscubal
Reply #1 Posted on: April 22, 2011, 08:43:11 PM

View Profile Email
I'm guessing the usual ENIGMA icon won't do it for some reason?
Offline (Male) Josh @ Dreamland
Reply #2 Posted on: April 22, 2011, 09:44:30 PM

Prince of all Goldfish
Developer

View Profile Email
Luis, your post made me genuinely laugh. Very apt; A+.
"That is the single most cryptic piece of code I have ever seen." -Master PobbleWobble
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -Evelyn Beatrice Hall, Friends of Voltaire
Post made April 23, 2011, 04:56:51 AM was deleted at the author's request.
Offline (Male) RetroX
Reply #4 Posted on: April 23, 2011, 08:56:14 AM

Contributor
View Profile Email
You don't just take the project logo and use it to identify projects. :V

You need to like, put it on a piece of paper or something.  Or a box.  But not the ugly Win7/Vista/XP/2k/98/95 paper.

Eh, screw it; I'll just work on making it a box like the ZIP icons.
My Box: Phenom II 3.4GHz X4 | ASUS ATI RadeonHD 5770, 1GB GDDR5 RAM | 1x4GB DDR3 SRAM | Arch Linux, x86_64 (Cube) / Windows 7 x64 (Blob)
Offline (Unknown gender) TheExDeus
Reply #5 Posted on: April 23, 2011, 11:57:14 AM

Developer

View Profile
It would also kick arse if compiled Enigma projects used icons as well. Maybe change the default LGM icon into the Enigma logo.. and make the exe's actually show it.
Offline (Male) RetroX
Reply #6 Posted on: April 23, 2011, 01:06:11 PM

Contributor
View Profile Email
It would also kick arse if compiled Enigma projects used icons as well. Maybe change the default LGM icon into the Enigma logo.. and make the exe's actually show it.
That's kind of different from what I'm trying to do, but I'm going to say that it'll only work on Windows.  And I really don't see much point in it, really; I don't see why you can't have a default of no icon rather than requiring an icon to obliterate the default, like GM does.
Post made April 23, 2011, 04:54:13 PM was deleted at the author's request.
Offline (Female) IsmAvatar
Reply #8 Posted on: April 23, 2011, 04:59:02 PM

LateralGM Developer
LGM Developer

View Profile Email
The icon gives a hint of 1) That the file opens with a specified program, and 2) Which program. Having no icon makes one think that the file is just a binary/library that you don't open with a program, or that it's an executable that the programmer was too lazy to apply an icon to.
Reply #9 Posted on: April 23, 2011, 06:00:41 PM

View Profile Email
OK: Here's the proposal:

1. ENIGMA icon for ENIGMA/LGM application;
2. ENIGMA icon in paper for ENIGMA project;
3. ENIGMA icon inside an window for ENIGMA game(default icon, anyway).

Would this work?
Offline (Male) RetroX
Reply #10 Posted on: April 23, 2011, 08:00:56 PM

Contributor
View Profile Email
OK: Here's the proposal:

1. ENIGMA icon for ENIGMA/LGM application;
2. ENIGMA icon in paper for ENIGMA project;
3. ENIGMA icon inside an window for ENIGMA game(default icon, anyway).

Would this work?
1. Yes.
2. I hate the usage of paper for everything.  It makes more sense to have it in a box, but I don't know how many people would like to create that.
3. That will be best if we have a default icon, but there should always be an option for no icon.
Offline (Female) IsmAvatar
Reply #11 Posted on: April 23, 2011, 11:24:51 PM

LateralGM Developer
LGM Developer

View Profile Email
1) LateralGM can be re-branded, but there's a certain value in being able to differentiate between LGM, Enigma, and The Plugin, especially for hunting down bugs.
2) Don't care, although the paper might make sense on Debian Linux because that's kinda the de-facto standard (looking at torrent, they have a down arrow on a paper). The package icon usually indicates to me that it is a zip-like structure that can probably be renamed to zip and extracted. This is not the case with GM. It will be the case with the new Enigma Format - of which we haven't defined a solid extension.
3) This *should* be defined by the IDE, and I mean fully LGM-side (not plugin). Currently LGM handles the icon, with a default (except for GM's default) set to LGM's Red Ball without the "LGM" letters inside. That was essentially a placeholder, and can be changed, but more importantly right now, whatever it is, it should be displayed in the running game. It is not because the backend was never coded to support it.
Reply #12 Posted on: April 24, 2011, 06:08:21 AM

View Profile Email
@IsmAvatar: I understand the concerns. The fact is LGM != LGM+ENIGMA.
Maybe a combined icon for the application?

I guess the branding issue also propagates to GMK files(since they are only used by ENIGMA indirectly). Maybe a LGM paper for GMK, and an ENIGMA paper for ENI files(or whatever they are called)? This could end up looking inconsistent, though...

3) This *should* be defined by the IDE, and I mean fully LGM-side (not plugin). Currently LGM handles the icon
Oh. I forgot that detail.
Post made April 24, 2011, 06:54:04 AM was deleted at the author's request.
Offline (Male) RetroX
Reply #14 Posted on: April 24, 2011, 10:09:52 AM

Contributor
View Profile Email
2) Don't care, although the paper might make sense on Debian Linux because that's kinda the de-facto standard (looking at torrent, they have a down arrow on a paper). The package icon usually indicates to me that it is a zip-like structure that can probably be renamed to zip and extracted. This is not the case with GM. It will be the case with the new Enigma Format - of which we haven't defined a solid extension.
I suppose that a paper would work for GM projects, but the box for ENIGMA?

The box indicates some kind of package, and never, ever, does it mean "rename to .zip and extract."  Although, usually, it means extract - and ENIGMA's format will do this.  Maybe a red icon for GM projects and a blue one for ENIGMA, to indicate the difference?
Pages: 1 2 »
  Print