Pages: 1 2 3 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Recent Events  (Read 10171 times)
Offline (Male) Josh @ Dreamland
Posted on: March 21, 2011, 10:55:20 AM

Prince of all Goldfish
Developer

View Profile Email
Though I didn't intend to post any announcements on the matter, since some of our contributors don't tread on the IRC, I think it's better to say what's been going on, with all that is ENIGMA related.

- IsmAvatar is still working on the options panel. We think. The options panel will be what allows users to compile for different platform.
- I added a set of functions to ENIGMA's interface that allow LateralGM to retrieve function lists, so now even new functions will have some parameter list to fall back on, though it is apparent that we will need our own function manual to reference first (some of the parameter lists are ugly and unhelpful).
- IsmAvatar added those parameter lists to the function lists, but only one overload of them. She'll probably do something else with them later.
- Ism and I started LGM's own text editor, since we can't seem to find a competent Java editor that's self-contained. You can see more about that in other threads across the forum.
- A lot of bugs have been fixed from the tracker, and a lot more have been posted. Most of the new ones are trivial and make my head hurt.
- A List of Little Things that Need Done has been created on the Wiki. If you want to help, that's a good place to start.
- ENIGMA now exports font info to the game, but not glyph metrics, which will be appended later. Fonts should be completely done before this thread has five posts.
- I have begun work on a new coercer for the purposes of array bound (in the [] ) safety (they need casted to int for C++ arrays) and switch statements. The coercer is necessary for switch() because I need to spawn a temp variable for iterative comparison, and am not prepared to use C++0x for 'auto' in one place.
- Ism has made some 4200 bugfixes in LGM as Polygone continued to point them out.
- TGMG got ENIGMA a little closer to working on Mac out of the box. He and I are both waiting on Ism to finish the options panel.
- Ism removed the forced 'Metal' theme in LateralGM; now users can enjoy the native theme or customize it as has been done by Java-acquainted people here in the past. It hasn't been compiled and rolled into ENIGMA yet, but will in the near future.
- TGMG has been working diligently to make ENIGMA compile the GM6 examples. They're mostly done, but a couple of things are still missing, which I may start to fill in randomly.

Bugfixes include the following:
- Segfault when reading more than one path or timeline (LGM wrote structures of the wrong length, causing misalignment)
- Compile error for var mod var, var = long... some others. All operators should work now (except 2.5 % 2; use 2.5 mod 2)
- Collision event behaves more like GM (thanks, TGMG)
- DND problems are mostly resolved

Some modifications to the site have been made.
- 30 spam accounts have been deleted. If some of them actually weren't spam, I apologize.
- Members without posts can't do anything until they post. Meaning, no spam.
- I've reimplemented the Regex verification that was destroyed last SMF update. Also, "Remember me" works again, in case you didn't notice.
- ALL contributors can now post news.

In the bigger scope of things, ENIGMA now has the collision functions implemented with bbox checking. Since r9k disappeared, we don't have polygon-based collisions (or any of his code for them), but we may have a surprise in store on the matter, when testing week's over.
And as I mentioned, thanks to TGMG, ENIGMA can very nearly compile the GM6 standard examples.

As far as where I want to see this project go next, we need to corner something that GM still hasn't. I look at these magnificent games manufactured in GM, and I just think of one dedicated soul, waiting for minutes as Game Maker compresses all 46,000 sprites so he can test again. ...It's kind of frightening. As such, I want a format that allows saving only modified resources, as I've mentioned elsewhere in the forum. That format will likely be zip.

So. I'm going to finish fonts, then the coercer for [] and switch(), and then I'm going to finish ENIGMA's widget functions, and reactivate R3's super cow powers.
Ism's going to procrastinate the options panels some more.

Peace.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 02:12:26 PM by IsmAvatar » Logged
"That is the single most cryptic piece of code I have ever seen." -Master PobbleWobble
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -Evelyn Beatrice Hall, Friends of Voltaire
Offline (Unknown gender) MrGriggs
Reply #1 Posted on: March 21, 2011, 11:20:45 AM

View Profile Email
this
- I have begun work on a new coercer for the purposes of array bound (in the [] ) safety (they need casted to int for C++ arrays) and switch statements. The coercer is necessary for switch() because I need to spawn a temp variable for iterative comparison, and am not prepared to use C++0x for 'auto' in one place.
and this
As far as where I want to see this project go next, we need to corner something that GM still hasn't. I look at these magnificent games manufactured in GM, and I just think of one dedicated soul, waiting for minutes as Game Maker compresses all 46,000 sprites so he can test again. ...It's kind of frightening. As such, I want a format that allows saving only modified resources, as I've mentioned elsewhere in the forum. That format will likely be zip.
got me very excited/******* me

Some Understanding of C++
If you can poke your way around a typical C++ project, you can probably do these.

Replace #include directives from API folders (such as Graphics_Systems/OpenGL/*.h) in SHELLmain.cpp with one big header, include.h. So, instead of including fifty things from Graphics_Systems/OpenGL/, it includes ONLY Graphics_Systems/OpenGL/include.h. Then put all the #include "*/*/include.h" in one header next to SHELLmain, apis.h.

I may attempt to do this grunt work for you.

When I've done this how will I submit such work your way?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 11:38:46 AM by MrGriggs » Logged
Reply #2 Posted on: March 21, 2011, 11:51:30 AM

Prince of all Goldfish
Developer

View Profile Email
Possibly with a Diff patch; maybe I'll just give you commit privileges for it.
"That is the single most cryptic piece of code I have ever seen." -Master PobbleWobble
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -Evelyn Beatrice Hall, Friends of Voltaire
Reply #3 Posted on: March 21, 2011, 12:01:20 PM

View Profile Email
Probably best not, in-case I eff anything up, I'll try to catch you on the IRC using a competent client, rather than using the web based one, I heard (word on the streets) dem bad boys can do file transactions.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 12:09:47 PM by MrGriggs » Logged
Offline (Female) IsmAvatar
Reply #4 Posted on: March 21, 2011, 02:16:44 PM

LateralGM Developer
LGM Developer

View Profile Email
IRC transactions are annoying, to say the least. Consider DropBox, or some other upload thing. Heck, if it's just a diff (read: text), consider a pastebin.
Reply #5 Posted on: March 21, 2011, 02:34:44 PM

View Profile Email
Would you like each to be kept seperate in a relative parent directory? for example;

Code: [Select]
#include "Graphics_Systems/graphics_mandatory.h"
#include "Platforms/platforms_mandatory.h"
#if ENIGMA_GS_OPENGL
    #include "Graphics_Systems/OpenGL/OPENGLStd.h"
    #include "Graphics_Systems/OpenGL/GSsprite.h"
    #include "Graphics_Systems/OpenGL/GSbackground.h"

#include "Graphics_Systems/OpenGL/GSfont.h"
    #include "Graphics_Systems/OpenGL/GScurves.h"
#elif ENIGMA_GS_OPENGLES
    #include "Graphics_Systems/OpenGLES/OPENGLStd.h"
    #include "Graphics_Systems/OpenGLES/GSsprite.h"
#endif

under GraphicsHandle.h

or even
#include "Graphics_Systems/graphics_mandatory.h"
#include "Platforms/platforms_mandatory.h"

under GraphicsHandle.h

then another header for

OpenGlHead.h
DirectX.h
blabla.h

so on and so forth.

with ifdefs to use the neccessary API under what situation.

Mod Edit: Lrn2code tag
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 03:15:24 PM by IsmAvatar » Logged
Reply #6 Posted on: March 21, 2011, 02:51:38 PM

View Profile Email
I'm more of a fan of the first as it'll be easier to compare differences when using new APIs upon the condition that you do, so i'll go ahead with the first for now, but if you want the other done, say so and i'll get to it

eek appolagies for my laziness Ism, on my Girlfriend's laptop and I get lazy when on a laptop :(
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 03:18:26 PM by MrGriggs » Logged
Reply #7 Posted on: March 22, 2011, 12:52:34 AM

Prince of all Goldfish
Developer

View Profile Email
Nah, just take
    #include "Graphics_Systems/OpenGL/OPENGLStd.h"
    #include "Graphics_Systems/OpenGL/GSsprite.h"
    #include "Graphics_Systems/OpenGL/GSbackground.h"

#include "Graphics_Systems/OpenGL/GSfont.h"
    #include "Graphics_Systems/OpenGL/GScurves.h"
and jam it all into "Graphics_Systems/OpenGL/include.h", then do the same for OpenGLES (Graphics_Systems/OpenGLES/include.h).

If you like, you can then place the
#if ENIGMA_GS_OPENGL
    #include "Graphics_Systems/OpenGL/include.h"
#elif ENIGMA_GS_OPENGLES
    #include "Graphics_Systems/OpenGLES/include.h"
#endif

Into its own header, "Preprocessor_Environment_Editable/apis.h". ENIGMA will eventually generate that file, sans the #ifs.
Post made March 22, 2011, 05:55:45 AM was deleted at the author's request.
Reply #9 Posted on: March 22, 2011, 06:24:11 AM

View Profile Email
I wish I knew Javas ins and outs, I would really like to help Ism.
Offline (Unknown gender) freezway
Reply #10 Posted on: March 22, 2011, 02:06:53 PM

View Profile
[offtopic] fede- your post is the only one that appears without subpixel smoothing on my screen... WTF? [/offtopic]
But yeah, this is great news indeed!
if you drop a cat with buttered toast strapped to its back, which side lands down?
joshdreamland: our languages are based on the idea that it's going to end up FUBAR
/kick retep998
Offline (Unknown gender) TheExDeus
Reply #11 Posted on: March 22, 2011, 02:52:33 PM

Developer

View Profile
fede- your post is the only one that appears without subpixel smoothing on my screen... WTF?
Thats the power of images.
Offline (Female) IsmAvatar
Reply #12 Posted on: March 22, 2011, 10:07:22 PM

LateralGM Developer
LGM Developer

View Profile Email
I've built LGM r486, so it will get rolled out with my next commit. This includes several bugfixes:
* r480: Script editor handled some functions weirdly due to erroneus spaces in the function list file.
* r481: L&F no longer forced into Metal, so you can now specify your own. The default is still Metal.
* r482: Fixed GM7 saving always corrupting the file. Note that any file corrupted by this method can still be loaded by GM, so to uncorrupt it, simply load and resave in LGM r482 or later.
* r483: Fixed saving events in reverse order (causing End Step to appear before Begin Step).
* r484-485: Backgrounds not defined as tilesets now use full image as tile, emulating GM behavior.
* r486: Running ENIGMA now causes DND actions to commit their changes, like every other resource.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 01:17:42 PM by IsmAvatar » Logged
Offline (Male) RetroX
Reply #13 Posted on: March 23, 2011, 05:47:34 PM

Master of all things Linux
Contributor
MSN Messenger - classixretrox@gmail.com
View Profile Email

Would you like to try your hand at it?
My Box: Phenom II 3.4GHz X4 | ASUS ATI RadeonHD 5770, 1GB GDDR5 RAM | 1x4GB DDR3 SRAM | Arch Linux, x86_64 (Cube) / Windows 7 x64 (Blob)
Quote from: Fede-lasse
Why do all the pro-Microsoft people have troll avatars? :(
Reply #14 Posted on: March 24, 2011, 08:20:59 AM

View Profile Email

-----

Good to hear some news nonetheless.

I cannot speak for her, but gathering information post speaking to her, she's definately not procrastinating anything.
Pages: 1 2 3 »
  Print