Pages: 1
  Print  
Author Topic: What's the status of a potential Linux build?  (Read 3245 times)
Offline (Unknown gender) Game_boy
Posted on: April 08, 2008, 07:41:52 AM

View Profile
Approximately when will a Linux port of ENIGMA be released?

How complete will the port be? Obviously the builder interface will be the same due to it being in Java, but:

a) Is it a goal that all GML functions will look and act exactly, pixel-for-pixel, like they do on the Windows version?
b) Since ENIGMA is compiled, obviously games will not be immediately cross platform. Will you be able to cross-compile for the different platforms and produce different binaries that can be posted?
c) Will the native graphics layer(s) be used on Linux to provide seamless window manager integration? Will GTK or Qt be exposed within ENIGMA to create native-looking applications?
d) Will the native sound layer(s) be used? Will this be exposed within ENIGMA to create native-looking applications?
e) Will the native input layer(s) be used? Will this be exposed within ENIGMA to create native-looking applications?
f) Will a potential build be 'certified' for particular distributions, and will DEB, RPM or other packages be available? How easy will it be to compile ENIGMA for non-binary-compatible Linux distributions? Will games produced by ENIGMA run on all or just some Linux distributions?
g) How will various builds of games for platforms be shown on the ENIGMA community game database?
Offline (Male) Rusky
Reply #1 Posted on: April 08, 2008, 05:46:13 PM

Resident Troll
MSN Messenger - rpjohnst@gmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
a) Is it a goal that all GML functions will look and act exactly, pixel-for-pixel, like they do on the Windows version?
yes, all the functions should be exactly the same code on every system except for interface ones.

b) Since ENIGMA is compiled, obviously games will not be immediately cross platform. Will you be able to cross-compile for the different platforms and produce different binaries that can be posted?
different binaries

c) Will the native graphics layer(s) be used on Linux to provide seamless window manager integration? Will GTK or Qt be exposed within ENIGMA to create native-looking applications?
Native interface stuff, thus the not-linux-ness at this point.

d) Will the native sound layer(s) be used? Will this be exposed within ENIGMA to create native-looking applications?
e) Will the native input layer(s) be used? Will this be exposed within ENIGMA to create native-looking applications?
don't know.

f) Will a potential build be 'certified' for particular distributions, and will DEB, RPM or other packages be available? How easy will it be to compile ENIGMA for non-binary-compatible Linux distributions? Will games produced by ENIGMA run on all or just some Linux distributions?
it produces C++ code that you could, potentially, compile any way you want.

g) How will various builds of games for platforms be shown on the ENIGMA community game database?
probably just a list of downloads with platform icons next to them, I'm not sure.
Offline (Male) notachair
Reply #2 Posted on: April 09, 2008, 02:11:08 AM

Definitely not a chair
Contributor

View Profile
Game Maker has never, ever used WinAPI or the such. You have to create your own interface. So I don't think "native-looking" applications should be even thought of.[/quote]
I'm sure SDL or something will be used for Linux. Obviously no Phonon or Solid since that would just be KDE4 fandom.[/quote]
Do we really need distro specific builds? It seems totally useless. I mean, you could dump it into the same folder for every distribution. After all, ENIGMA's IDE does not use GTK/GTK2 or Qt4. And I'm sure the games would run on all distributions as long as dependencies are met. I'm beginning to doubt that you even know much about Linux applications...
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 02:33:47 AM by a2h » Logged
Reply #3 Posted on: April 09, 2008, 04:29:33 AM

View Profile
Do we really need distro specific builds? It seems totally useless. I mean, you could dump it into the same folder for every distribution. After all, ENIGMA's IDE does not use GTK/GTK2 or Qt4. And I'm sure the games would run on all distributions as long as dependencies are met. I'm beginning to doubt that you even know much about Linux applications...

ENIGMA will have to use some outside libraries; graphics, sound and input being the big three. Some of us will have dependency problems, i.e. not being able to know which libraries ENIGMA depends on and/or being unable to acquire them. DEB and RPM packages were created to avoid dependency hell, because they download the dependencies for you from the distribution repository. The usual method to to say that a certain number of distributions are guaranteed to work (say Red Hat, Debian and SuSE based), and provide binary DEB/RPM packages for those platforms, and other than that you're on you own and can compile it yourself.

Offline (Male) notachair
Reply #4 Posted on: April 09, 2008, 05:01:20 AM

Definitely not a chair
Contributor

View Profile
alien. Heard of it? =/
Reply #5 Posted on: April 09, 2008, 05:37:38 AM

View Profile
alien. Heard of it? =/

Wow; I didn't know that was possible.

So you'll do a generic binary, one kind of package and a source download?
Offline (Male) notachair
Reply #6 Posted on: April 09, 2008, 05:52:06 AM

Definitely not a chair
Contributor

View Profile
Who knows, maybe the community will be nice enough to do repos?
Reply #7 Posted on: April 09, 2008, 06:36:37 AM

View Profile
Who knows, maybe the community will be nice enough to do repos?

Good point; let 'the community' do it for you. If there's enough demand to support a particular system, it will be. In that case just a generic binary and the source will be enough as it is for all other platforms.
Pages: 1
  Print