Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: ORACLE begins patent-trolling with Java.  (Read 7138 times)
Offline (Unknown gender) justyellowboy
Posted on: August 13, 2010, 10:48:41 PM

View Profile
http://www.itworld.com/open-source/117301/scoracle-weaponizes-java

This is bullshit. I'm taking a programming class with Java and now I see that I can't even use the language, now, unless I want to join this piece of shit company, seeing as they can just patent whatever they want and then sue all the other companies.

This should be illegal. The company should be brought down.
Offline (Unknown gender) Game_boy
Reply #1 Posted on: August 14, 2010, 04:54:19 AM

View Profile
http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2010/08/oracles-java-lawsuit-undermines-its-open-source-credibility.ars

They can't sue you if you use the GPL version of a Java (OpenJDK) or a clean-room built fully compatible VM which Sun made a patent grant covering. Google has neither.
Offline (Male) RetroX
Reply #2 Posted on: August 14, 2010, 09:40:53 AM

Master of all things Linux
Contributor
MSN Messenger - classixretrox@gmail.com
View Profile Email
OpenOffice.org and VirtualBox were both completely built from the source on my computer, or at least, VB was.  OpenOffice was built from source on someone else's computer, but built from source, nonetheless.

The GCC has a compatible Java compiler, and OpenJDK seems to work as a Java runtime.  They can go fuck themselves.
My Box: Phenom II 3.4GHz X4 | ASUS ATI RadeonHD 5770, 1GB GDDR5 RAM | 1x4GB DDR3 SRAM | Arch Linux, x86_64 (Cube) / Windows 7 x64 (Blob)
Quote from: Fede-lasse
Why do all the pro-Microsoft people have troll avatars? :(
Offline (Male) Rusky
Reply #3 Posted on: August 14, 2010, 10:48:30 AM

Resident Troll
MSN Messenger - rpjohnst@gmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
Or we could make software patents illegal and keep using the JVM implementation that actually works.
Offline (Male) RetroX
Reply #4 Posted on: August 14, 2010, 01:43:29 PM

Contributor
View Profile Email
Or we could just make patent laws better and not allow patent trolling on anything.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 01:45:43 PM by RetroX » Logged
My Box: Phenom II 3.4GHz X4 | ASUS ATI RadeonHD 5770, 1GB GDDR5 RAM | 1x4GB DDR3 SRAM | Arch Linux, x86_64 (Cube) / Windows 7 x64 (Blob)
Offline (Male) retep998
Reply #5 Posted on: August 14, 2010, 02:43:46 PM

MSN Messenger - retep998@charter.net AOL Instant Messenger - retep998 Yahoo Instant Messenger - retep998
View Profile Email
Reply #6 Posted on: August 14, 2010, 03:53:43 PM

View Profile
Or we could just make patent laws better and not allow patent trolling on anything.

Pretty much how I feel. This should've been squashed a long time ago.

I know what Retep's thinking, but realistically, the universities have just lost the ability to teach J2ME, quite possibly. I'm anxious that they'll get their hands on other things, next, like the actual language. No university will stick to teaching an outdated version of Java, regardless of whether it's GPL'd or not. It will side with what Oracle throws out, and my bets are off regarding their support for Free Software; few people take it as seriously as it should be.

Perhaps I'm spouting too much too early, but I'm worried as shit about what's going to happen to Java now that Oracle's so plainly announced what an evil company it's become. Its lawyers were ecstatic about being able to use patents against Google? What kind of business plan is that shit?! Since when did making money become all about suing and scaring other companies? How is this competition? How is it supposed to be positive economic activity that can shelter growth?

Now, reading that Ars Technica article, it's my guess that Oracle is going to end up forcing Google to GPLv3/GPLv2 the Dalvik VM, since OpenDJK is GPLv2'd and they could possibly upgrade by integrating it. I think it'd be a great way for Oracle to fail. Still, Google's a tad on its high horse claiming that Oracle's baseless, wouldn't you say? Even if they are, it's not up to either party to decide.

But yeah, MeeGo. :\
Offline (Male) Rusky
Reply #7 Posted on: August 14, 2010, 05:03:23 PM

Resident Troll
View Profile WWW Email
I never really liked Java, especially as a teaching language, so I'm not too worried about that. However, the JVM, Dalvik, and the ecosystem(s) around them are far too important to let Oracle patent-troll them out of usefulness, and patent trolling in general is too much of a problem to let it continue.

The USPO is horrid at recognizing prior art and at keeping track of what else they've given out patents for. Fixing that would go a long way, but fixing patent laws themselves (e.g. no patents on algorithms or other ideas that anyone could come up with independently) would be even better.
Offline (Male) RetroX
Reply #8 Posted on: August 14, 2010, 06:17:19 PM

Contributor
View Profile Email
Java is a terrible language, especially for teaching.  It teaches bad habits, such as instantiating classes for the sole purpose of performing functions.

Most of the stuff that is in Java can easily be done in other languages.
Offline (Unknown gender) freezway
Reply #9 Posted on: August 14, 2010, 06:22:15 PM

View Profile
whoo! java haters unite... I tried learning it once... it was just to wierd.
if you drop a cat with buttered toast strapped to its back, which side lands down?
joshdreamland: our languages are based on the idea that it's going to end up FUBAR
/kick retep998
Offline (Male) Rusky
Reply #10 Posted on: August 14, 2010, 08:56:10 PM

Resident Troll
View Profile WWW Email
Java is a terrible language, especially for teaching.  It teaches bad habits, such as instantiating classes for the sole purpose of performing functions.

Thank you for the irrelevant trolling.
Offline (Male) RetroX
Reply #11 Posted on: August 15, 2010, 09:53:36 AM

Contributor
View Profile Email

Reply #12 Posted on: August 15, 2010, 12:13:35 PM

View Profile

whoo! java haters unite... I tried learning it once... it was just to wierd.

It's trolls all the way down.
Offline (Male) Josh @ Dreamland
Reply #13 Posted on: August 15, 2010, 03:51:16 PM

Prince of all Goldfish
Developer

View Profile Email
This _is_ a topic about trolling.
:troll:
"That is the single most cryptic piece of code I have ever seen." -Master PobbleWobble
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -Evelyn Beatrice Hall, Friends of Voltaire
Offline (Male) Rusky
Reply #14 Posted on: August 15, 2010, 06:48:51 PM

Resident Troll
View Profile WWW Email
XD
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print