Pages: 1
  Print  
Author Topic: where to learn C++  (Read 1572 times)
Offline (Unknown gender) freezway
Posted on: April 04, 2010, 12:33:23 AM

View Profile
Does anyone have a good c++ tutorial to help me get started. I understand basic syntax, structs, unions, and some stuff about classes.
if you drop a cat with buttered toast strapped to its back, which side lands down?
joshdreamland: our languages are based on the idea that it's going to end up FUBAR
/kick retep998
Offline (Male) RetroX
Reply #1 Posted on: April 04, 2010, 09:26:01 AM

Master of all things Linux
Contributor
MSN Messenger - classixretrox@gmail.com
View Profile Email
I'm assuming that you started with Java?

Empty your mind of that completely, and look at cplusplus.com, go through the entire list, and start making random stuff like I did.
My Box: Phenom II 3.4GHz X4 | ASUS ATI RadeonHD 5770, 1GB GDDR5 RAM | 1x4GB DDR3 SRAM | Arch Linux, x86_64 (Cube) / Windows 7 x64 (Blob)
Quote from: Fede-lasse
Why do all the pro-Microsoft people have troll avatars? :(
Reply #2 Posted on: April 04, 2010, 11:54:19 AM

View Profile
nope. try java once... didn't like it... I guess i need some sorta project that i can use this for...
if you drop a cat with buttered toast strapped to its back, which side lands down?
joshdreamland: our languages are based on the idea that it's going to end up FUBAR
/kick retep998
Offline (Male) Josh @ Dreamland
Reply #3 Posted on: April 04, 2010, 02:30:19 PM

Prince of all Goldfish
Developer

View Profile Email
Perfect. You can read over the pointers section of my ENIGMA manual and tell me how to improve. Your questions will fuel its revisions process.

I'll include it with the release.
"That is the single most cryptic piece of code I have ever seen." -Master PobbleWobble
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -Evelyn Beatrice Hall, Friends of Voltaire
Offline (Unknown gender) score_under
Reply #4 Posted on: April 05, 2010, 08:37:42 AM

View Profile
You can read over the pointers section of my ENIGMA manual and tell me how to improve.
I always find it weird that people never grasp the concept of pointers first time... simple enough in theory, right?
Offline (Unknown gender) Game_boy
Reply #5 Posted on: April 05, 2010, 09:10:23 AM

View Profile
Wrong thread, sorry. Is this an SMF bug, where you hit reply on one and it posts on the last thread you opened instead of that one?
Offline (Male) RetroX
Reply #6 Posted on: April 05, 2010, 09:28:03 AM

Contributor
View Profile Email
You can read over the pointers section of my ENIGMA manual and tell me how to improve.
I always find it weird that people never grasp the concept of pointers first time... simple enough in theory, right?
It's not that they're difficult to understand.  It's that cplusplus.com has a terrible way of explaining them.
My Box: Phenom II 3.4GHz X4 | ASUS ATI RadeonHD 5770, 1GB GDDR5 RAM | 1x4GB DDR3 SRAM | Arch Linux, x86_64 (Cube) / Windows 7 x64 (Blob)
Offline (Male) Josh @ Dreamland
Reply #7 Posted on: April 05, 2010, 01:05:17 PM

Prince of all Goldfish
Developer

View Profile Email
"It's that cplusplus.com has a terrible way of explaining them."
This is what I was thinking. Hopefully using them in ENIGMA breaks down the disoriented feeling you get when working with C++ for the first time. This way, you don't have to cope with the loss of knowledge of all the language's functions.
"That is the single most cryptic piece of code I have ever seen." -Master PobbleWobble
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -Evelyn Beatrice Hall, Friends of Voltaire
Offline (Male) RetroX
Reply #8 Posted on: April 05, 2010, 03:55:15 PM

Contributor
View Profile Email
Also, how I learned pointers was just making a program with pointers to show how each of the pointer operators worked.  Then, I understood it a lot better.
Reply #9 Posted on: April 05, 2010, 05:07:03 PM

View Profile
i understand pointers fairly well.
/kick retep998
Pages: 1
  Print