Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Pride  (Read 8049 times)
Offline (Male) Rusky
Reply #60 Posted on: March 08, 2010, 10:59:58 PM

Resident Troll
MSN Messenger - rpjohnst@gmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
...The bytes for different architectures are all well-documented, or GCC wouldn't target them. Yes, you have to do more work, but with a system like Enigma, what are the chances a game will be published on x86 even if it's on other platforms too?

That page I gave you had benchmarks for the compiler, not just a list of features. Also, LLVM compiles to native code. It can be JIT, which is how you would probably do it in a VM, but it could also be AOT. In fact, Clang is AOT. It's just a normal compiler. BTW, thanks for the links, serprex.

You wouldn't have to check every time you draw an image- just when the object responsible for it is created. It would be a tradeoff, though- more memory usage.
Offline (Male) Josh @ Dreamland
Reply #61 Posted on: March 08, 2010, 11:01:08 PM

Prince of all Goldfish
Developer

View Profile Email
I understood it to be machine-independent code that is optimized and loaded native, JIT.
I assume it should be at least somewhat faster than code compiled for a particular architecture but not optimized for a particular system. I'd like to know by how much on average it's faster, to see if it at all justifies its use.

Memory is cheap. I can't know which objects will use a certain resource, everything's an integer. Doing so by sprites I know will be used is begging for trouble.

Assuming Haskell and C's performance boosts are the same, that's not a bad gain, but I'm not sure it's worth the effort.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 11:07:47 PM by Josh @ Dreamland » Logged
"That is the single most cryptic piece of code I have ever seen." -Master PobbleWobble
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -Evelyn Beatrice Hall, Friends of Voltaire
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5
  Print