Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Domain Name Provider Transfer  (Read 7845 times)
Offline (Unknown gender) Micah
Reply #30 Posted on: February 13, 2010, 03:03:22 PM

Resident Troll

View Profile
(It's really a wonder how they manage to lose money on this operation)
...Employees?
Offline (Male) RetroX
Reply #31 Posted on: February 13, 2010, 03:17:44 PM

Master of all things Linux
Contributor
MSN Messenger - classixretrox@gmail.com
View Profile Email
Ultimately, EDL will be cross platform, but the C++ that runs it will not be. ENIGMA will choose (and the user can deliberate) which C++ to use to "run" the EDL.
Like any cross-platform library.
My Box: Phenom II 3.4GHz X4 | ASUS ATI RadeonHD 5770, 1GB GDDR5 RAM | 1x4GB DDR3 SRAM | Arch Linux, x86_64 (Cube) / Windows 7 x64 (Blob)
Quote from: Fede-lasse
Why do all the pro-Microsoft people have troll avatars? :(
Offline (Unknown gender) freezway
Reply #32 Posted on: February 13, 2010, 03:38:40 PM

View Profile
so basically, u compile for each platform seperatly?
if you drop a cat with buttered toast strapped to its back, which side lands down?
joshdreamland: our languages are based on the idea that it's going to end up FUBAR
/kick retep998
Offline (Unknown gender) TheExDeus
Reply #33 Posted on: February 13, 2010, 04:41:11 PM

Developer

View Profile
Well doh.. Of course you will need to compile for each platform separately. Linux does not launch .exe's you know..
Offline (Male) RetroX
Reply #34 Posted on: February 13, 2010, 05:22:13 PM

Contributor
View Profile Email
u compile..doh
My Box: Phenom II 3.4GHz X4 | ASUS ATI RadeonHD 5770, 1GB GDDR5 RAM | 1x4GB DDR3 SRAM | Arch Linux, x86_64 (Cube) / Windows 7 x64 (Blob)
Offline (Male) Josh @ Dreamland
Reply #35 Posted on: February 13, 2010, 07:37:02 PM

Prince of all Goldfish
Developer

View Profile Email
Miky--
Have you calculated where all that 180K (in addition to the income from the new release amplified tenfold by the invalidation of previous keys, which I'm sure you'll stick up for as well) is going? Or do you just assume that more individuals than Mark, a Mac developer (who is paid so well as to bail the moment Sandy shows his true colors), and a web developer (how many do you need?) are being paid? I hate pointing the "overpaid" finger. I'd rightly say Mark deserves it after all the work he's put in over such a long time (having thousands of happy[...] users justifies the pay, and I do profess they are happy [yea, ignorance is bliss]), and I suppose not every good web developer can work in his/her spare time for a cause they support (unlike our a2h here; though not to reiterate that a clear lack of support has traversed the ranks of Yoyo's employees). I guess, also, that a--coordinator?--so talented as Sandy is an invaluable resource to GM's public relations and even to the staff and should definitely be queued up before the interest of the ever dwindling budget (No one I've seen has ever repelled so many individuals [and a Mac developer] as Sandy, leaving the forums in an uproar until concerned topics are deleted...).
Anyway, I suppose I can see where that money is going now, you're right. Try now to justify it.

Freezeway--
As HaRRiKiRi pointed out, since architectures vary anyway, a recompile is necessary on all platforms a-priori. However, cross compilation has proven to be not only an option (especially in the case of Windows and Linux) but often a necessity (good luck rigging a compiler to work ON the Wii).
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 07:47:13 PM by Josh @ Dreamland » Logged
"That is the single most cryptic piece of code I have ever seen." -Master PobbleWobble
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -Evelyn Beatrice Hall, Friends of Voltaire
Offline (Male) RetroX
Reply #36 Posted on: February 13, 2010, 10:45:07 PM

Contributor
View Profile Email
The only problem is that while MinGW does have Linux/Unix versions, Windows does not have a version of the GCC that can compile bash applications.
Reply #37 Posted on: February 14, 2010, 06:34:00 PM

Resident Troll

View Profile
Whoa, whoa, whoa, Josh. No need to throw a tantrum.

The Mac dev has actually agreed to stay, and they've hired another Mac dev.

They have to pay each employee, they have to pay for hosting, and I'd imagine they have to pay for a lot of other stuff.

Sure, Sandy's a moron, and they probably don't manage their money very well, but it's not completely pathetic.
Reply #38 Posted on: February 14, 2010, 07:39:29 PM

Prince of all Goldfish
Developer

View Profile Email
So they have three coders, a web team and a Sandy.
They could make do with three or four of the above at this point (Sandy could poke around the forum and make bizarre suggestions there, and/or one of the Mac developers could storm off about it).
"That is the single most cryptic piece of code I have ever seen." -Master PobbleWobble
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -Evelyn Beatrice Hall, Friends of Voltaire
Offline (Male) Rusky
Reply #39 Posted on: February 14, 2010, 09:14:49 PM

Resident Troll
MSN Messenger - rpjohnst@gmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
You realize how much bandwidth the site uses, right? Their hosting is a lot more expensive than yours is or probably ever will be. They probably also pay for hosting support. Anyway, you really have no basis for judgement- you have no idea what goes on internally.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 09:17:23 PM by Rusky » Logged
Reply #40 Posted on: February 14, 2010, 10:24:46 PM

Prince of all Goldfish
Developer

View Profile Email
Special pleading. Argumentum ad ignorantiam. A cute ad hominem. I'll just add tu quoque and move on.

As stated, their server will run them for roughly $150 monthly. They're making more than that *daily*. And Bandwidth, assuming you actually meant "traffic," is whatever the server can put out; 1&1 doesn't limit it. (They may pay more for additional bandwidth in the literal sense, but if they do, it's not much).

And frankly, it's irrelevant what goes on internally if the budget has gone down more than 30%.
Post made February 15, 2010, 04:12:44 AM was deleted at the author's request.
Offline (Male) Rusky
Reply #42 Posted on: February 15, 2010, 01:10:18 PM

Resident Troll
MSN Messenger - rpjohnst@gmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
Look, I dislike YoYo as much as you do, and I agree they're probably not managing money very well. But there were no fallacies in that last post, either. Their site uses a lot more bandwidth than yours. They're hosting tons of full games. It's also true that you don't work there. How do you know what they're paying for their hosting?

Bashing YoYo is just old.
Reply #43 Posted on: February 15, 2010, 06:47:45 PM

Resident Troll

View Profile
As stated, their server will run them for roughly $150 monthly. They're making more than that *daily*. And Bandwidth, assuming you actually meant "traffic," is whatever the server can put out; 1&1 doesn't limit it. (They may pay more for additional bandwidth in the literal sense, but if they do, it's not much).
If you had actually looked at their latest glog post you would have seen that their monthly hosting bill, because of how much traffic they get, is much, much higher than $150. And that's just for the bandwidth.
Offline (Female) serprex
Reply #44 Posted on: February 16, 2010, 09:46:54 PM
Smooth ER
Developer

View Profile WWW
They could probably save space by using Josh's GMzip's technique. Integrate it into the browser plugin, and they'd lower bandwidth too. Perhaps that's how they already go about it? I'd hope

Also, Retro, why are you talking about compiling bash scripts?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 »
  Print