Pages: 1
  Print  
Author Topic: [Outdated] Native Linux Icon Support  (Read 74 times)
Offline (Male) Josh @ Dreamland
Posted on: September 03, 2019, 06:43:43 PM

Prince of all Goldfish
Developer

View Profile Email
Note to adopters: If you choose to use this code, your game will be covered by the GNU General Public License. This licensing will not be under our control. If you use that change, you must open-source your game.
"That is the single most cryptic piece of code I have ever seen." -Master PobbleWobble
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -Evelyn Beatrice Hall, Friends of Voltaire
Reply #1 Posted on: September 03, 2019, 09:40:52 PM

Prince of all Goldfish
Developer

View Profile Email
As I said earlier, we don't actually need any of his code. We already have code in ENIGMA that does everything he's doing, afaict. He's using glib to easily do things that ENIGMA can already do. The only thing we need from his code is that X11 atom he's setting.
"That is the single most cryptic piece of code I have ever seen." -Master PobbleWobble
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -Evelyn Beatrice Hall, Friends of Voltaire
Reply #2 Posted on: September 04, 2019, 07:41:30 PM

Prince of all Goldfish
Developer

View Profile Email
I'm not opposed to LibGD as an extension. We already have several extensions for doing format-agnostic reads.

That said, we already have a perfectly good loader for PNG, and I believe we just store image data in the engine as ZLIB'd bytes. We decompress them at load time, which, unsurprisingly, gives exactly the format that WM extension wants for its icon data. It doesn't make sense to contact this person about relicensing 90 lines of code that ENIGMA already has the exact equivalent of, with the operative difference being two libPNG calls instead of libGD calls.
Offline (Male) time-killer-games
Reply #3 Posted on: September 10, 2019, 09:36:09 PM

Contributor

View Profile Email
aren't you going to delete this thread?
Pages: 1
  Print