Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Subject  (Read 11982 times)
Offline (Male) RetroX
Reply #45 Posted on: August 08, 2009, 06:30:47 PM

Master of all things Linux
Contributor
MSN Messenger - classixretrox@gmail.com
View Profile Email
* RetroX likes to mention that what he misread was "IsmAvatar puts err... something on Rusky's eyes"
My Box: Phenom II 3.4GHz X4 | ASUS ATI RadeonHD 5770, 1GB GDDR5 RAM | 1x4GB DDR3 SRAM | Arch Linux, x86_64 (Cube) / Windows 7 x64 (Blob)
Quote from: Fede-lasse
Why do all the pro-Microsoft people have troll avatars? :(
Offline (Female) IsmAvatar
Reply #46 Posted on: August 09, 2009, 11:12:48 PM

LateralGM Developer
LGM Developer

View Profile Email
C-c-c-combo Breaker!

It's an old norse- and similar belief that when you die, you need to pay the boatman (the guy who boats you to whatever afterworld) a fee. As such, they tended to put silver coins (and eventually pennies) on peoples eyes when they died. The Beatles make note of this in one of their songs and mention "My advice for those who die: declare the pennies on your eyes. Taxman!"
Offline (Male) Josh @ Dreamland
Reply #47 Posted on: August 10, 2009, 08:30:00 AM

Prince of all Goldfish
Developer

View Profile Email
He thinks I'm paying two cents to go to hell?
"That is the single most cryptic piece of code I have ever seen." -Master PobbleWobble
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -Evelyn Beatrice Hall, Friends of Voltaire
Offline (Male) qc.zackf
Reply #48 Posted on: August 10, 2009, 01:43:22 PM

View Profile Email
LMAO. Wait. What if you don't pay this 'taxman'? Do I not have to go to hell?
Only ask questions you know the answer to...
Offline (Unknown gender) luiscubal
Reply #49 Posted on: August 10, 2009, 02:35:36 PM

View Profile Email
The alternative is worse.
Offline (Female) IsmAvatar
Reply #50 Posted on: August 10, 2009, 05:13:51 PM

LateralGM Developer
LGM Developer

View Profile Email
In those religions, the afterlife was heaven, even if it was underground. The alternative was to stop existing, which was undesirable to them. They didn't have a land of torture like Christianity's Hell. People were just good because they wanted to get into their "heaven".
Offline (Male) RetroX
Reply #51 Posted on: August 10, 2009, 08:34:00 PM

Contributor
View Profile Email
atheism

Seriously, the idea of having different things happen to you depending on what religion you believe in has always boggled me.
My Box: Phenom II 3.4GHz X4 | ASUS ATI RadeonHD 5770, 1GB GDDR5 RAM | 1x4GB DDR3 SRAM | Arch Linux, x86_64 (Cube) / Windows 7 x64 (Blob)
Offline (Male) qc.zackf
Reply #52 Posted on: August 10, 2009, 08:52:49 PM

View Profile Email
That's why you must define "GOD' in your own way and not use ANY religion to do it for you. I wouldn't say I'm an atheist; I do believe in "GOD" just I don't believe he's this higher entity who rules over everything, just simply 'the thing' that created life. Which I don't know what is yet.

Anyways isn't this all going OFF-topic?
Offline (Unknown gender) Game_boy
Reply #53 Posted on: August 11, 2009, 04:09:04 AM

View Profile
That's why you must define "GOD' in your own way and not use ANY religion to do it for you. I wouldn't say I'm an atheist; I do believe in "GOD" just I don't believe he's this higher entity who rules over everything, just simply 'the thing' that created life. Which I don't know what is yet.

Anyways isn't this all going OFF-topic?

Here's my question: is your concept of God supernatural? That is, does it suspend natural laws, determinism, or "live outside the universe"? If it does, how could you believe in it, as all phenomena we have found so far (have evidence for) are deterministic etc. If it doesn't, then God is an unnecessary concept and instead of natural laws -> God -> life you could just eliminate the middle step to make it simpler and therefore more likely. [Occam's razor].

Offline (Male) qc.zackf
Reply #54 Posted on: August 11, 2009, 04:51:12 AM

View Profile Email
No, my "GOD" IS the natural laws of the universe.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 05:08:53 AM by qc.zackf » Logged
Offline (Unknown gender) luiscubal
Reply #55 Posted on: August 11, 2009, 07:11:17 AM

View Profile Email
Code: [Select]
No, my "GOD" IS the natural laws of the universe.That's an acceptable definition. However, what natural laws are you referring to? Relativity and Quantum Physics?

Code: [Select]
Seriously, the idea of having different things happen to you depending on what religion you believe in has always boggled me.Theoritically, different things don't happen to you depending on your religion. Different things happen depending on which religion is right(not which we believe is right). And the bonus thing is, we have no way to find out/prove which one is correct! Yay! You can just rely on faith(and considering the number of incompatible religions in the world, a huge number of people have faith in something that's incorrect) or do what many people do - don't care(which might not be the most wise option).

And yes, this is getting off-topic. A lot.
Offline (Unknown gender) Game_boy
Reply #56 Posted on: August 11, 2009, 12:14:52 PM

View Profile
No, my "GOD" IS the natural laws of the universe.

How does calling that God help? If I rename watermelons to God, does that add anything to my life? I think you don't believe in God but you don't want to let go of being brought up in a religion and the moral/cultural/social systems it provided.

Offline (Male) RetroX
Reply #57 Posted on: August 11, 2009, 01:56:01 PM

Contributor
View Profile Email
Question: Why do we care
Answer: We don't.  ...which is why politics should become separated from religion, people should stop caring about religion, and SCIENCE should rule the world.  Don't bother with something you can't prove.

Question: Josh, do you think you can release r4 by 09/09/09, to follow the sequence that r3 had set?
Answer: ???
Offline (Male) Josh @ Dreamland
Reply #58 Posted on: August 11, 2009, 03:48:06 PM

Prince of all Goldfish
Developer

View Profile Email
I hope so :3
</religious war>, or I'll change all your signatures to state your support for a random religion.
"That is the single most cryptic piece of code I have ever seen." -Master PobbleWobble
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -Evelyn Beatrice Hall, Friends of Voltaire
Offline (Male) RetroX
Reply #59 Posted on: August 11, 2009, 04:05:33 PM

Contributor
View Profile Email
</religious war>, or I'll change all your signatures to state your support for a random religion.
That would be awesome.

But really, we should stop.

And it would be cool if r4 was done by 09/09/09.  And you wouldn't have to worry about releasing v1 until 10/10/10!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 »
  Print