Pages: 1
  Print  
Author Topic: Suggestion: create "team" profile in LiberaPay  (Read 420 times)
Offline (Unknown gender) Dragonite
Posted on: March 26, 2019, 07:58:24 AM

View Profile
Hello,
I don't know what donation solution you guys have at the moment, but it might be a good idea to set up a page on LiberaPay. It's a fully free donations website.
I've heard there were plans to pay someone to work with compiler stuff if there were enough donations. That would be pretty cool indeed.
Offline (Male) Goombert
Reply #1 Posted on: March 26, 2019, 10:00:50 PM

Developer

View Profile
Hey Dragonite, thanks for the suggestion. This is actually the first time I am hearing of LiberaPay and I think it's a great idea. I believe open source developers need to be rewarded more for their efforts. However, let me say, you may have missed that we do now have a Patreon for the project! One reason you don't see us being too vocal yet is because I did not want to force this on anybody, but contributions are helping significantly and provide motivation for working on the project. I'm hoping that we can get a lot more work done and taken care of first before adding the Patreon to the homepage and everything. We're making good progress, but there are some specific announcements I am planning to make first. That said, I am not sure if branching out to another service like LiberaPay just right yet is a good idea and I wouldn't mind more feedback on this from you, the other ENIGMA people, or anyone.
I think it was Leonardo da Vinci who once said something along the lines of "If you build the robots, they will make games." or something to that effect.

Reply #2 Posted on: March 27, 2019, 09:08:36 AM

View Profile
Hi, Goombert. The main advantages of LiberaPay over Patreon are:
1. It doesn't take a cut from payments. Instead, it funds itself through its own platform (they are one of the organizations available for you to donate)
2. It's fully free software
3. Patreon's privacy policy is much more agressive, including multiple trackers (from Google, Facebook, Twitter, and others).

I think some people are already used to Patreon more, so you guys shouldn't give up on it, but having an org setup in LiberaPay would be nice. I think it also helps discoverability.
Offline (Male) Goombert
Reply #3 Posted on: March 28, 2019, 10:21:19 AM

Developer

View Profile
I gave it some more thought and talked it over with Josh and decided to take your suggestion. I have now signed up for LiberaPay and we will accept contributions through the service. I think it's a great idea to provide more options for contributing because I understand that there are many users who would like to contribute, but may be ethically or morally opposed to Patreon. Perhaps even LiberaPay is simpler for some people because they are already familiar with it, and that's fine too.

For now, I have only created an individual profile and not linked our social media accounts. As our use of LiberaPay grows, I will later coordinate the creation of a full team profile. Being a U.S. citizen, for now, I will only accept contributions in USD $ because that is easier for me and it also happens to be compatible for the contributions to be shared with other members of the team at the current time.

Those who are happy with the progress we've made or would like to see the project grow, please do consider supporting us on LiberaPay!
https://liberapay.com/Goombert/
I think it was Leonardo da Vinci who once said something along the lines of "If you build the robots, they will make games." or something to that effect.

Reply #4 Posted on: March 28, 2019, 11:51:52 AM

View Profile
That's pretty nice to hear. Wish you the best.
Offline (Unknown gender) Darkstar2
Reply #5 Posted on: March 31, 2019, 11:37:02 AM

View Profile Email
Goombert, don't forget that you actually have to set up at least a payment method in order to receive pledges.  :P

Also would like to add my 2 cents (no pun intended  :D)   First, it would be nice to actually see on the page how many pledges received and amount.  The amounts table are tiny, and I doubt that anybody will pledge the top tier $100 a week one - so it takes quite a lot of contributors to be worthy IMO and would only work with volume, otherwise how could a few people contributing cents a week help this project ?   Some big projects online manage to raise tens of thousands of $, but the projects are on a much bigger scale.

It would encourage more potential contributors if they knew that others are contributing as well.

As far as payment method, PayPal should be a minimum, as this is what most people use.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 11:45:55 AM by Darkstar2 » Logged
Reply #6 Posted on: April 04, 2019, 05:28:33 AM

View Profile
Goombert, don't forget that you actually have to set up at least a payment method in order to receive pledges.  :P

Also would like to add my 2 cents (no pun intended  :D)   First, it would be nice to actually see on the page how many pledges received and amount.  The amounts table are tiny, and I doubt that anybody will pledge the top tier $100 a week one - so it takes quite a lot of contributors to be worthy IMO and would only work with volume, otherwise how could a few people contributing cents a week help this project ?   Some big projects online manage to raise tens of thousands of $, but the projects are on a much bigger scale.

It would encourage more potential contributors if they knew that others are contributing as well.

As far as payment method, PayPal should be a minimum, as this is what most people use.
Adding to this, I believe the LiberaPay page might be good for discoverability. It might be better to make an "ENIGMA" organization profile instead. See these: https://liberapay.com/explore/organizations
Offline (Unknown gender) Darkstar2
Reply #7 Posted on: April 04, 2019, 11:51:20 AM

View Profile Email
I think he missed the point, he did not set up a payment method, there is no way to pledge on his page, as an error comes up that the owner must configure a payment method first :)
Offline (Male) cheeseboy
Reply #8 Posted on: April 04, 2019, 10:09:06 PM

View Profile
I also take cash donations in the mail.
Pages: 1
  Print