Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Image Format Extensions & New libpng Dependency  (Read 551 times)
Offline (Male) Goombert
Posted on: February 14, 2019, 11:19:05 PM

Developer

View Profile

Many of you have been requesting for some time that we switch from LodePNG to libpng to make it easier to install ENIGMA on your platform because libpng is usually available on package managers and LodePNG is not. I wanted to let everybody know that we have finally done this.
https://github.com/enigma-dev/enigma-dev/commit/112dc544d611d5b588e8f0b2e3f193b79e7f0845

This means that libpng is now a dependency for ENIGMA and you will need to install it through your package manager the next time you git pull or otherwise setup ENIGMA.
https://enigma-dev.org/docs/Wiki/Install:Windows
Code: (Bash) [Select]
# MSYS2 64-bit
pacboy -S libpng:x
# MSYS2 32-bit
pacboy -S libpng:i

I have also updated the Ubuntu/Linux installation instructions as well as the easy method script.
https://enigma-dev.org/docs/Wiki/Install:Linux
Code: (Bash) [Select]
sudo apt-get install libpng-dev
There are actually other positive benefits from this change, including the fact that png loading and saving is now many times faster according to several benchmarks I have performed. There may still be additional optimizations we can make in the future, but for now you can see my benchmarks on the original issue where libpng was requested.
https://github.com/enigma-dev/enigma-dev/issues/1391#issuecomment-464307654

Another positive aspect of this change stems from the fact that I integrated libpng into the engine as an extension. This means I have made the image loading and saving "hookable" so that additional image formats can also be supported through extensions. I hope everyone likes these changes and will find that they improve ENIGMA. I also want to mention that I do not foresee us adding any more required dependencies to setup ENIGMA except for FreeType which we'll be using to render fonts in emake and the frontend tools. It will be a shared dependency between the command line and the engine. I just want to give everyone a heads up. Cheers!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 09:00:08 AM by Goombert » Logged
I think it was Leonardo da Vinci who once said something along the lines of "If you build the robots, they will make games." or something to that effect.

Offline (Unknown gender) impo
Reply #1 Posted on: February 17, 2019, 02:38:42 PM

View Profile
great news robert, thanks for the update
Offline (Male) Goombert
Reply #2 Posted on: February 18, 2019, 04:39:13 AM

Developer

View Profile
You're welcome, and I hope to have some more exciting stuff to announce soon!
I think it was Leonardo da Vinci who once said something along the lines of "If you build the robots, they will make games." or something to that effect.

Offline (Male) cheeseboy
Reply #3 Posted on: February 20, 2019, 02:00:39 AM

View Profile

when you announce date you come out of hiding?
Offline (Unknown gender) Darkstar2
Reply #4 Posted on: February 20, 2019, 01:54:20 PM

View Profile Email

when you announce date you come out of hiding?

lol !
Offline (Unknown gender) Dragonite
Reply #5 Posted on: March 01, 2019, 11:06:13 AM

View Profile
Good job.
Has there been any progress in keeping EDL up with GML features that were added in the last years? Such as accessors, enums, the collision_list functions, etc.
Offline (Male) Goombert
Reply #6 Posted on: March 09, 2019, 02:10:11 PM

Developer

View Profile
Quote from: Dragonite
Has there been any progress in keeping EDL up with GML features that were added in the last years? Such as accessors, enums, the collision_list functions, etc.
There hasn't been much in this regard yet, but we are looking at some things and hopefully may have some positive news about this in the near future.

Pages: [1]
  Print