Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: CLI on Ubuntu?  (Read 295 times)
Offline (Male) time-killer-games
Posted on: April 27, 2017, 08:14:37 PM

View Profile WWW Email
Hey can anyone tell me how to compile a game with ENIGMA on Ubuntu using the CLI instead of using LGM? I ask because LGM crashes on my Ubuntu machine when I try to run/build, so I was hoping the CLI wouldn't do that. My computer's a dual boot with Windows via Wubi so there isn't much file/memory space on the Ubuntu side of things. Anyway that's probably why it's crashing. On Windows LGM doesn't crash using the same project file, so it's clear to me the issue is related to free disk space and Java, afaik...

Thanks.
TKG
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 08:17:09 PM by time-killer-games » Logged
Offline (Male) Josh @ Dreamland
Reply #1 Posted on: April 29, 2017, 12:14:42 AM

Prince of all Goldfish
Developer

View Profile Email
If LGM crashes, it's because ENIGMA crashed, so the CLI will do the same thing. File the crash as a bug report; it may have a simple fix.
"That is the single most cryptic piece of code I have ever seen." -Master PobbleWobble
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -Evelyn Beatrice Hall, Friends of Voltaire
Reply #2 Posted on: April 29, 2017, 01:05:18 PM

View Profile WWW Email
Ok I'll file a bug then when I have time. I assume it is the "output_log.txt" you guys will need, correct? Is there anything else or is that good enough?

Looks like this bug is exclusive to Linux, since with this project file I am usimg, (in gm81 format), only crashes on Linux. On Windows, it builds just fine.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 01:09:35 PM by time-killer-games » Logged
Reply #3 Posted on: April 30, 2017, 02:32:40 PM

View Profile WWW Email
Hey Josh:

Well, it appears on Ubuntu there is no "output_log.txt"...

So I'm not sure what I'm supposed to share with my bug report.

I don't know - the terminal contents?

https://pastebin.com/3kwNkhUQ

I can't even compile a 1 room empty game...

It does the same thing, crashes right when I try to hit run or build.

I don't see any compile form come up, it crashes too quickly to make it that far...
Offline (Male) Josh @ Dreamland
Reply #4 Posted on: May 03, 2017, 03:03:38 PM

Prince of all Goldfish
Developer

View Profile Email
As I said oh GitHub, a core dump only does so much for us—it tells us something exploded, and, at best, that the control was in X function when shit hit the fan. What it doesn't tell us is why something exploded. Maybe it's because a sprite was deleted, but code references it (this is a little too simple; we have plenty of code that checks against dumb shit like that).  Maybe it's because the parser wrote string data out of bounds. Maybe it's a bizarre JNA memory sizing nuance. The best way to get a bug fixed is to give us a way to make it happen, every time, at the push of a button. So provide the game that caused it, or if you'd prefer not to, provide a minified test case (the smallest possible game or sequence of actions) that will consistently produce this bug.
"That is the single most cryptic piece of code I have ever seen." -Master PobbleWobble
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -Evelyn Beatrice Hall, Friends of Voltaire
Reply #5 Posted on: May 03, 2017, 03:16:34 PM

View Profile WWW Email
Seeing as I said this:

I can't even compile a 1 room empty game...

All you need to do to reproduce this issue, is open ENIGMA/LGM and create a new room, then hit run or build.

It will then crash.

I am using Ubuntu 16.04 LTS via wubi.

I installed ENIGMA, LGM, the plugin, etc. using the shell script you guys provided on the Wiki:

http://enigma-dev.org/docs/Wiki/Install:Linux
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 03:23:18 PM by time-killer-games » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print