Pages: 1
  Print  
Author Topic: Ludum Dare 32 Entry  (Read 1402 times)
Offline (Unknown gender) sorlok_reaves
Posted on: April 19, 2015, 09:33:44 PM
Contributor

View Profile
I entered the Ludum Dare game jam again this year. Enjoy!
http://ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-32/?action=preview&uid=28370
Offline (Male) time-killer-games
Reply #1 Posted on: April 26, 2015, 02:49:57 PM

Contributor

View Profile Email
Really cool! RPG is a very ambitious genre for such competitions. I wish you the best of luck. Looks really good!
Offline (Unknown gender) TheExDeus
Reply #2 Posted on: April 26, 2015, 04:20:24 PM

Developer

View Profile
It already ended, so unless he keeps working "luck" is no longer needed. :D

I actually liked the battle system. The controls in it were very good. But I have few suggestions/bugs:
1) The enemy sometimes doesn't do anything in it's turn. It shows in console that it tries to select spell -1. I guess it could be intentional?
2) There are no health for enemies and especially boss, so I don't know how close I am to killing it. Like I literally fired 25 rays and 10 fireballs and it still didn't die. I tried to figure its health out from the massages in the console, but couldn't. Then, *spoiler alert*, I found out that I was meant to die to it. But because it does so little damage, sometimes it skips its turn and the there are many delays in the fight, it took like 5 minutes for me to die. :D
3) In one battle I got stuck on a rock/tree/battle area border combo. So I couldn't move.

So I liked the battle system, but it could be a little faster.
Offline (Unknown gender) sorlok_reaves
Reply #3 Posted on: April 29, 2015, 07:10:20 PM
Contributor

View Profile
Quote from: time-killer-games
Really cool! RPG is a very ambitious genre for such competitions. I wish you the best of luck. Looks really good!

Glad you liked it! It was in fact a little too ambitious, but I'm glad I tried it!

Quote from: TheExDeus
1) The enemy sometimes doesn't do anything in it's turn. It shows in console that it tries to select spell -1. I guess it could be intentional?
2) There are no health for enemies and especially boss, so I don't know how close I am to killing it. Like I literally fired 25 rays and 10 fireballs and it still didn't die. I tried to figure its health out from the massages in the console, but couldn't. Then, *spoiler alert*, I found out that I was meant to die to it. But because it does so little damage, sometimes it skips its turn and the there are many delays in the fight, it took like 5 minutes for me to die. :D
3) In one battle I got stuck on a rock/tree/battle area border combo. So I couldn't move.

Thanks for your suggestions! I've actually updated the binary with a few fixes.

1. Yes, the enemy doing nothing was intentional. The slimes were supposed to be fairly passive (there were supposed to be a lot more enemies).
2. A huge point of confusion for people playing this was that certain spells were too weak to hurt certain enemies. Note that you *can* beat any fight in the game. You're not expected to lose any fight  ---but if you haven't leveled then some fights might be impossible.
3. This is a nasty collision bug. The update fixes it.

I've also sped up the battle speed, and given a damage boost for the "boss" fights.

I'm not planning on continuing to work on this, but the source is available. Might be a good example of the kinds of games ENIGMA is capable of!

Pages: 1
  Print