Pages: 1
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows 10 Package Manager  (Read 2071 times)
Offline (Male) Goombert
Posted on: October 29, 2014, 03:20:42 PM

Developer

View Profile
Well well well. Windows 10 will have a package manager that will make Windows development just amazing, we may finally be able to create a proper Portable ZIP and allow MinGW installations. This is honestly the greatest news ever!

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/192950-windows-10-will-come-with-a-command-line-package-manager-much-to-the-lament-of-linux-users

Even those of you who want to go ahead and start using PowerShell can, I was only vaguely aware of its existence, it has rectangle select as well. The only downside is that it is built on the .NET framework, it opens at about 45 MB ram usage for me where as regular cmd opens at 0.3 MB.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_PowerShell
« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 07:27:00 PM by Goombert » Logged
I think it was Leonardo da Vinci who once said something along the lines of "If you build the robots, they will make games." or something to that effect.

Offline (Unknown gender) TheExDeus
Reply #1 Posted on: October 29, 2014, 05:43:16 PM

Developer

View Profile
I use powershell for git all the time. "Git shell" that comes with "Git for windows" is a windows power shell that is just git aware.

Also, great news on the package manager. That is about the only thing I like about Linux that isn't in Windows.
Offline (Male) edsquare
Reply #2 Posted on: November 01, 2014, 03:38:29 PM

View Profile
I use powershell for git all the time. "Git shell" that comes with "Git for windows" is a windows power shell that is just git aware.

Also, great news on the package manager. That is about the only thing I like about Linux that isn't in Windows.

A package manager, great, there allready exist some opensource package managers for windows, but the package manager is only a small fraction of the solution, imagine having synaptic but no repositories, as lon as you have to hun down sftware around the web and end up downloading shit with addware, etc. the package manager is useless, unless microsoft is going to create the repos, and even then I wouldn't count my chickens since microsoft has in the past developed solutions and then left the user hanging of their brushes.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx
Offline (Male) Goombert
Reply #3 Posted on: November 01, 2014, 06:10:47 PM

Developer

View Profile
My thoughts exactly ed, my hope is that this will make a consistent stable package management platform though. The problem with the open source ones is that there are too many and not all of them have all the same packages, a problem that doesn't exist on Linux for the most part, that I am hoping the introduction of Microsoft's package manager will solve.
I think it was Leonardo da Vinci who once said something along the lines of "If you build the robots, they will make games." or something to that effect.

Offline (Male) edsquare
Reply #4 Posted on: November 02, 2014, 04:00:19 PM

View Profile
My thoughts exactly ed, my hope is that this will make a consistent stable package management platform though. The problem with the open source ones is that there are too many and not all of them have all the same packages, a problem that doesn't exist on Linux for the most part, that I am hoping the introduction of Microsoft's package manager will solve.

Because they are community driven and the windows user community is not inclined (or know about) opensource software, they are more inclined towards piracy or installing/buying stuff that may or may not : work as advertised, breack your system, infect you with addware, spyware, etc. and other not very smart customs.

If they were more community/safety inclined, one of those FOSS package managers would be common knowledge and have milliards of free/libre applications and even a store for the ones that cost money.

But in general yes, this is good news for the windows user, if done properly and if kept working through the years. Both huge IFs in regards to microsoft and how much it cares about it's costumers.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 04:15:15 PM by edsquare » Logged
Groucho Marx
Offline (Male) Rusky
Reply #5 Posted on: November 02, 2014, 09:48:08 PM

Resident Troll
MSN Messenger - rpjohnst@gmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
I believe the official package manager is compatible with the open source ones like Chocolatey.
Offline (Male) edsquare
Reply #6 Posted on: November 03, 2014, 12:48:12 AM

View Profile
I believe the official package manager is compatible with the open source ones like Chocolatey.

So microsoft coopted the FOSS managers' (Or at least some of them) packages.?

So not surprising, well in a sense it is, microsoft recognizing that the FOSS projects do work.
Groucho Marx
Offline (Unknown gender) TheExDeus
Reply #7 Posted on: November 03, 2014, 05:08:08 AM

Developer

View Profile
The package manager is not actually made by MS. It's called OneGet and is also open source (you can find it on github). It's just that MS took it and implemented it in newer windows by default as well as having it built-in powershell.
Offline (Male) Goombert
Reply #8 Posted on: November 04, 2014, 03:38:37 PM

Developer

View Profile
Wow, hahahahah nice find Harri! He's right it is an open source project, maybe this isn't the doom and gloom for Open Source these tabloid reporters are trying to make it out to be.
https://github.com/OneGet/oneget

Pages: 1
  Print