Pages: « 1 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Lateral GM question  (Read 6177 times)
Offline (Unknown gender) Darkstar2
Reply #15 Posted on: October 03, 2014, 11:31:39 PM

View Profile Email
Robert, what are you talking about ? I have posted many times logs since I joined here, many times we discussed the stability issues of LGM and showed you reports, and you said the problem is with enigma.jar (the plugin) and not the IDE itself, these problems start to happen eventually - the longer I work in LGM, eventually pressing anything and an error pops up relating to Java, VM, memory, etc.
And yes even with the settings file tweak setting memory to max.

Some are so easy to reproduce, just frequently save your project, eventually it will error out and the entire MFing project gets corrupted., including backups.

I'd be glad to post those logs, but that won't change anything :D

Offline (Male) Goombert
Reply #16 Posted on: October 03, 2014, 11:43:27 PM

Developer

View Profile
Quote from: Darkstar2
and you said the problem is with enigma.jar (the plugin) and not the IDE itself, these problems start to happen eventually - the longer I work in LGM,
Right exactly, that's the plugin, ENIGMA, not LateralGM. I only notice it when editing ENIGMA source engine files though, not just having LGM open or compiling multiple times, if I don't change source files I have no issues. Also I only seem to have a crash when mainly working with templates or STL because of how big the error logs are and it gets worse over time before crashing. That's an issue I'd like to work out.

Quote from: Darkstar2
Some are so easy to reproduce, just frequently save your project, eventually it will error out and the entire MFing project gets corrupted., including backups.
I literally saved Project Chaos over and over and over and over about a hundred times, and the JVM never tops 305mb RAM usage, just stays between 299 and 305.
I think it was Leonardo da Vinci who once said something along the lines of "If you build the robots, they will make games." or something to that effect.

Offline (Unknown gender) Darkstar2
Reply #17 Posted on: October 03, 2014, 11:53:06 PM

View Profile Email
I know that Robert, actually memory usage is not an issue but the error shows VM errors, out of memory, not found, etc.
I will post more examples when I get them.
I have not worked in ENIGMA for a while as I was busy lately.
Offline (Male) Goombert
Reply #18 Posted on: October 04, 2014, 12:04:54 AM

Developer

View Profile
Alrighty, but yeah lots of bug fixes have been made, and I can't fix things without knowing about them... so how else will they ever get fixed? etc etc
I think it was Leonardo da Vinci who once said something along the lines of "If you build the robots, they will make games." or something to that effect.

Offline (Female) IsmAvatar
Reply #19 Posted on: October 06, 2014, 01:26:29 PM

LateralGM Developer
LGM Developer

View Profile Email
Is dropping LGM's GMK support even necessary? Couldn't we just drop ENIGMA's GMK support (which is pretty much dropped at this point anyways) and just have the plugin convert your game from GMK to EGM?
Offline (Male) Goombert
Reply #20 Posted on: October 06, 2014, 01:56:22 PM

Developer

View Profile
Heh well, we actually aren't all that incompatible with GMK's, a major portion of games compatible are in GMK format, like Project Mario, and Project Chaos, Minecraft Example, Mark Overmars FPS, Overmars Game of Life. Some games also use properties that GMX does not store, such as removing the transparency color of sprites. Converting these games to another format would break some things here and there. We also just happen to be a lot more compatible with GMK games because they get rid of all the bad coding techniques we've yet to implement, but also add a ton of new ones, see ds accessors.

Offline (Male) Josh @ Dreamland
Reply #21 Posted on: October 08, 2014, 06:54:38 PM

Prince of all Goldfish
Developer

View Profile Email
That's the plan, Ism. But make no mistake—ENIGMA is best to remain a DLL.

ENIGMA being compilable as a DLL is not a reason to not have a CLI. In general, command-line interfaces are not nearly as responsive, and we're dealing with software in which this latency counts. Originally, you pressed a syntax check button when you wanted to know if your GML was valid. Would you want a disk I/O over an entire directory while we read in script and function names, just so we can report to you that this one code you've changed two lines of is valid? Maybe you do, I don't know. But do you want us implementing continual syntax checking that way? You'd have to be crazy. Even if we cached all the engine data to a file, you wouldn't want us reading that behemoth every time you stopped typing for a second.

Moreover, what if LateralGM wants to invoke the compiler for more accurate code completion? For formatting? For automatic indentation? If ENIGMA were confined to a separate executable, even with pipes, I/O overhead would be insufferable.

Anyway. That said, yes; EGM and GMX eliminate the need to ever have all resource data loaded in memory. This means that the reasons for having LGM pass ENIGMA resource data are dying or dead. THAT SAID, the ability for the engine to work out of EGM files needs to come first. I will not myself implement nor encourage any other individual to implement logic for reading an EGM and appending it to an executable at this phase. My recommendation is for the ENIGMA plugin to keep the game saved in /tmp/lateralgm/<datetime>/game.egm/* as an EGM directory (presently not supported for some reason?) and for the game to load resources out of that directly. Writing resources to the executable is an archaic practice that should only be offered as a final redistributable build option.
"That is the single most cryptic piece of code I have ever seen." -Master PobbleWobble
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -Evelyn Beatrice Hall, Friends of Voltaire
Pages: « 1 2
  Print