Pages: « 1 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Good places to learn OpenGL  (Read 3001 times)
Offline (Male) Goombert
Reply #15 Posted on: October 01, 2014, 08:09:08 AM

Developer

View Profile
That actually kind of upsets me, because this is one of the powerful features Direct3D 9, 10, and 11 all have, they can force software vertex processing as well as emulate shader models not supported by the current graphics card which makes them a lot more compatible with older graphics hardware. In Direct3D it's just a flag, in OpenGL you have to write your code twice if you want it to be able to support software and hardware, and even then it won't be core compliant.

So that is a huge disappointment for me with OpenGL, has been for a while actually.

I think it was Leonardo da Vinci who once said something along the lines of "If you build the robots, they will make games." or something to that effect.

Offline (Unknown gender) TheExDeus
Reply #16 Posted on: October 01, 2014, 01:33:04 PM

Developer

View Profile
There just no need for it in GL. VBO's are supported since 2003. We don't need to support Amiga in our GL3.3 rendering engine. If you want ancient hardware (and I mean ancient, not old, old hardware even supports GL3). There is 0 need for software vertex processing. It's the most useless feature ever, as you wouldn't be able to render more than 50k vertices (that is probably a stretch too).
Pages: « 1 2
  Print