Pages: 1
  Print  
Author Topic: Modifying the way we select objects  (Read 1688 times)
Offline (Unknown gender) egofree
Posted on: July 23, 2014, 03:34:20 AM
Contributor

View Profile Email
I propose the following additions/modifications in the rooms editor :

1) When the user press the left button, if an object is present under the mouse cursor, it moves the object, if there is no objects, it adds an new object. If the ctrl key is pressed, it will add objects, and not take into account if there is already an object or not. This is the behavior of GM Studio, and i think it's more logical.
2) Global move of instances. It is present also in GM Studio.
3) A white rectangle around the selected object will be displayed.
4) An help button to display the available commands in the rooms editor.

edit:
If the ctrl key is pressed, it will not copy objects, but always add objects.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 01:46:13 PM by egofree » Logged
Offline (Unknown gender) TheExDeus
Reply #1 Posted on: July 23, 2014, 03:58:18 AM

Developer

View Profile
I'm for it. Though there need to be an option to create and object on top of another object as well. So maybe adding another button (alt?) to 1).
Offline (Unknown gender) Darkstar2
Reply #2 Posted on: July 23, 2014, 11:59:29 AM

View Profile Email
Indeed make sure you allow objects to layer on top of each other, (example you use many different TILES and lay 1 object ontop of the areas where you will check collision.
Reply #3 Posted on: July 24, 2014, 02:48:56 AM
Contributor

View Profile Email
First : if we want to add objects on tiles, it's not a problem, as objects and tiles are managed separately. If you are on the objects tab, it will not take into account if there is tiles below.
Now if we want to add objects on others objects, it's rather simple. You can do it the following way : adding a new object  by clicking on an empty area or by using the 'add object' button, and then moving it to the final location. I think it's relevant to modify the current behavior because adding objects on others objects is much less frequent than selecting an object to move it.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 03:21:54 AM by egofree » Logged
Reply #4 Posted on: July 24, 2014, 05:56:55 AM
Contributor

View Profile Email
I forgot : if you press ctrl when adding a new object, it will add the object on top of another object !
Reply #5 Posted on: August 02, 2014, 02:37:53 PM
Contributor

View Profile Email
I finished to display the selected instance/tile with a black/white border. I would like also to add the following behavior : when a instance/tile is selected in the list, it is displayed centered in the editor window. This is identical to the view tab.
Offline (Male) Josh @ Dreamland
Reply #6 Posted on: August 03, 2014, 11:36:08 AM

Prince of all Goldfish
Developer

View Profile Email
I'd make that when you double-click it in the list; could be annoying, otherwise (side-by-side instances can be far apart in the room, and you're more likely to care while editing instances).
"That is the single most cryptic piece of code I have ever seen." -Master PobbleWobble
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -Evelyn Beatrice Hall, Friends of Voltaire
Pages: 1
  Print