Pages: 1
  Print  
Author Topic: Good tutorial?  (Read 1571 times)
Offline (Unknown gender) TomUmb
Posted on: July 26, 2014, 08:28:44 AM

View Profile
Can someon point me to good tutorial?
Offline (Male) Josh @ Dreamland
Reply #1 Posted on: July 26, 2014, 10:23:10 AM

Prince of all Goldfish
Developer

View Profile Email
Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any; I learned to use GM back in 2004, and the tutorial at the time would look quite different from the one now. We're quite possibly between IDEs, so writing a custom one now would not be a good move. I believe you mentioned being familiar with coding but new to Game Maker and ENIGMA. Basically, all you need to know is that LGM, the IDE, allows you to manage your resources visually. Sprites are animated image resources; you can create a new one by pressing the pacman icon. Objects are where your code goes; they are event-driven, and handle a lot of the nitty-gritty game logic for you. You can create one by pressing the little ball icon a few icons right of the pacman icon. Rooms are how you organize your objects visually; they give the start state of each scene, which few games change significantly over time.

I could create a brief video tutorial, if that would help you.
"That is the single most cryptic piece of code I have ever seen." -Master PobbleWobble
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -Evelyn Beatrice Hall, Friends of Voltaire
Offline (Unknown gender) TheExDeus
Reply #2 Posted on: July 26, 2014, 10:30:17 AM

Developer

View Profile
Most GM tutorials will work fine. Like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzMNunoPd0o
This site in general: http://gamemakertutorials.com/
Offline (Unknown gender) egofree
Reply #3 Posted on: July 26, 2014, 10:33:49 AM
Contributor

View Profile Email
An interesting tutorial for making a scrolling shooter : http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=3142.0
Reply #4 Posted on: July 28, 2014, 11:36:24 AM

View Profile
Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any; I learned to use GM back in 2004, and the tutorial at the time would look quite different from the one now. We're quite possibly between IDEs, so writing a custom one now would not be a good move. I believe you mentioned being familiar with coding but new to Game Maker and ENIGMA. Basically, all you need to know is that LGM, the IDE, allows you to manage your resources visually. Sprites are animated image resources; you can create a new one by pressing the pacman icon. Objects are where your code goes; they are event-driven, and handle a lot of the nitty-gritty game logic for you. You can create one by pressing the little ball icon a few icons right of the pacman icon. Rooms are how you organize your objects visually; they give the start state of each scene, which few games change significantly over time.

I could create a brief video tutorial, if that would help you.

Yes please :)
Reply #5 Posted on: July 28, 2014, 11:37:03 AM

View Profile
Thanks for links guys :)  (Y)
Pages: 1
  Print