Pages: 1
  Print  
Author Topic: using gamemaker tutorials / docs for enigma?  (Read 1662 times)
Offline (Unknown gender) rabbit
Posted on: July 03, 2014, 03:36:24 AM

View Profile
hi there,
this is probably a really stupid / frequently asked question, but i did a bit of searching (maybe under the wrong terms) and couldn't find an answer to it. i just found enigma yesterday and am real excited about it, am trying to figure out how i'm going to approach it now. so:

i know that the language here is *basically* GML but with some C++ on top

just how well does GML transfer across to this?
what i'm getting at, is can i pluck any modern game maker tutorial from the internet and know that that will be valid in enigma? it seems to me that i've got endless potential for documentation + learning resources, assuming all the stuff that's been made for game maker can be relied on to be 100% true for development in enigma too.

thanks,
f
Offline (Male) Goombert
Reply #1 Posted on: July 03, 2014, 03:45:50 AM

Developer

View Profile
Well for starters you may want to take a look at Josh's spec for the finalized compiler.
http://enigma-dev.org/docs/Wiki/ENIGMA:Specification

And not everything is going to work the same or the way you expect it to, there also may be bugs, but we generally try to be as helpful as we can when issues arise. But basically to answer your question, yes EDL is like GML with C++ capabilities such as structs, classes, pointer arithmetic, memory allocation, etc.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 10:01:30 PM by Robert B Colton » Logged
I think it was Leonardo da Vinci who once said something along the lines of "If you build the robots, they will make games." or something to that effect.

Reply #2 Posted on: July 03, 2014, 05:32:04 AM

View Profile
thanks for the quick reply. i had a look at that but it's all a bit confusing for me, still.

if you don't mind - could i rely on for instance the tutorials here to work in enigma? or this one, as that looks to be very close to what i'm looking for - a similar sort of engine and done in code rather than D+D.

thanks,
f
Offline (Unknown gender) TheExDeus
Reply #3 Posted on: July 03, 2014, 01:43:55 PM

Developer

View Profile
I'd say in 99% of cases GM tutorials will work with ENIGMA. For example, I looked over the Platform tutorial you posted and I don't see why it wouldn't work in ENIGMA. Seemed compatible, but note, that the site has syntax rendering problems, for example, this:
Code: (GML) [Select]
if (vsp < 10) vsp += grav;Should be this:
if (vsp < 10) vsp += grav;
The only big difference I know should still be an issue, is that boolean FALSE in GM is anything less than or equal zero (<=0), while in ENIGMA it's only equals zero (==0) because we use C++ standard. This is an issue in GM collision functions. GM has functions, like collision_point() which returns ID of an instance that collides with a point, but it returns a special value "noone" when no instance collided. "noone" is actually a value of -4, so in GM this is valid:
if (collision_point(...)){ //GM evaluates to TRUE when any instance is collided and false otherwise, but ENIGMA would always return TRUE
}
While ENIGMA requires this:
if (collision_point(...) != noone){ //Evaluates to TRUE when any instance is collided and false otherwise
}
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 01:45:38 PM by TheExDeus » Logged
Reply #4 Posted on: July 08, 2014, 10:20:42 AM

View Profile
thanks a bunch - exactly the kind of reply i was looking for (and exactly the answer i was hoping for!)

take care,
f
Offline (Unknown gender) Darkstar2
Reply #5 Posted on: July 08, 2014, 12:30:52 PM

View Profile Email
Shaun Spalding tutorials are great - He should have published a book and sold it.  Back in the days I was still a beginner I purchased 2 books on APRESS, they were rubbish, and did not properly explain WHY such functions does what it does and did not cover much, but his tutorials really are amazing compared to many that circulate.

He even corrects his mistakes.  On his initial version of platform tutorial he made some mistakes which could cause the player to get stuck in platforms.  I was going to write to him to let him know and discovered he had already figured that out and fixed it.

Top quality tutorials guy IMO.

Pages: 1
  Print