Pages: « 1 2
  Print  
Author Topic: LateralGM ported to CPP  (Read 3311 times)
Offline (Unknown gender) onpon
Reply #15 Posted on: June 26, 2014, 02:11:58 PM

View Profile WWW Email
If I knew how I would make my life's goal to develop a Python-like/Python-compatible compiled language, it would be as easy and simple and could use Python's libraries; that's the wet dream of many programmers.  :D

I don't know about compiling in the sense that C is compiled, but what about PyPy? That's pretty much what you would use to make Python code run faster.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 02:14:10 PM by onpon » Logged
Offline (Male) Rusky
Reply #16 Posted on: June 26, 2014, 02:28:51 PM

Resident Troll
MSN Messenger - rpjohnst@gmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
Just compiling a dynamic language doesn't magically give it the same performance benefits as a static language. The real problem is the semantics of the language, not the process used to run it (although obviously that does have an effect).

The other real problem is that ENIGMA is C++ and the IDE is not. No matter what language you do the IDE in, if it's not C++, there will be pain integrating ENIGMA with it. Python will not help here, as the data types and structures in the IDE will still not match the ones used by ENIGMA.
Offline (Male) Goombert
Reply #17 Posted on: June 26, 2014, 02:44:41 PM

Developer

View Profile
Quote from: Rusky
Just compiling a dynamic language doesn't magically give it the same performance benefits as a static language. The real problem is the semantics of the language, not the process used to run it (although obviously that does have an effect).
I couldn't agree more with both aspects of what you just said.

Quote from: egofree
Wouldn't it be possible to do it also with Swing ?
Swing can interface with JOGL for 3D, yeah, but that adds external dependencies, same with C#, at least with Java it's a part of the core API from Java 7 and up.

Quote from: egofree
Windows forms is outdated, it has been replaced by WPF (c.f http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Presentation_Foundation)
Silverlight is dead, it's called HTML5.
Quote from: Wikipedia
Microsoft Silverlight provides functionality that is mostly a subset of WPF to provide embedded web controls comparable to Adobe Flash. 3D runtime rendering has been supported in Silverlight since Silverlight 5.[4]
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 02:47:32 PM by Robert B Colton » Logged
I think it was Leonardo da Vinci who once said something along the lines of "If you build the robots, they will make games." or something to that effect.

Offline (Male) edsquare
Reply #18 Posted on: June 26, 2014, 03:20:17 PM

View Profile
Gnome did almost what I'm talking about with Vala/Genie, although not having used one or the other I don't know how dynamic is Genie but Vala is supossed to be in the vein of C/C++.

https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/Genie
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx
Offline (Unknown gender) egofree
Reply #19 Posted on: June 26, 2014, 03:25:12 PM
Contributor

View Profile Email
Silverlight is dead, it's called HTML5.

Silverlight is  a RIA framework based on WPF and is kind of 'dead', but WPF is certainly not dead.  In .Net, WPF is the way to go if you want to make a 'fat client'.
Offline (Male) Rusky
Reply #20 Posted on: June 26, 2014, 05:47:38 PM

Resident Troll
MSN Messenger - rpjohnst@gmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
WPF may not be dead, but it's certainly not cross platform.
Pages: « 1 2
  Print