Pages: 1
  Print  
Author Topic: Using GameMaker:Studio for Ubuntu  (Read 961 times)
Offline (Male) time-killer-games
Posted on: June 21, 2014, 02:27:13 PM

Contributor

View Profile Email
I have Ubuntu embedded in VirtualBox for Windows, and would like to export my game to Ubuntu using GMS. However since I'm banned from the GMC, this is really the only other place I can expect to get rapid help and feedback. The only real problem here is I need a "Bridged Network Adapter" in order for Studio to communicate with the Ubuntu VB. I used a proxy site so I could visit the GMC without the "you are not aloud to visit this community even though you can't login or post anyway. God forbid you view our webpages" *shit* blocking my access. Anyway with that proxy I found some topics that held promise, they all suggested to use a bridged adapter.

But there's the problem, I set the network settings to have a bridged adapter and it asks for a "Name:" which I assume is the dropdown I use to select an existing bridged adapter, but the dropdown is empty. I don't know how to create a new bridged adapter, I could only find ways for making NAT and Host-Only adapters. If I can't create a bridged network adapter then I can't select one in the dropdown, which means until I figure this stuff out I'll never be publishing my games to Ubuntu with GMS.

Thaks.
TKG
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 02:29:37 PM by time-killer-games » Logged
Offline (Male) time-killer-games
Reply #1 Posted on: June 23, 2014, 07:16:59 PM

Contributor

View Profile Email
So I guess no one here has any idea what I should do? Well it was worth a shot at least.
Offline (Male) Josh @ Dreamland
Reply #2 Posted on: June 23, 2014, 07:49:30 PM

Prince of all Goldfish
Developer

View Profile Email
Unfortunately, no; working with VirtualBox network adapters has been the bane of my existence in the past. I just tried all the options until I found one that worked. Here isn't a good place to ask about VMs, especially when Ubuntu is on the inside of the VM.
"That is the single most cryptic piece of code I have ever seen." -Master PobbleWobble
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -Evelyn Beatrice Hall, Friends of Voltaire
Offline (Male) edsquare
Reply #3 Posted on: June 23, 2014, 10:25:47 PM

View Profile
From the belly of the beast:

On Ubuntu, you need to go on Propierties of folder of your choose, then on sharing tab, setup to anonymous acess have complete control to change anything on folder and also remember to save and put complete path to where GMS will create folder.

Get it to work using WinSCP (or putty) from the windows box to the mac with linux running underneath as a guest. It will be easier to debug that way.

Again, I'm doing this with Virtual Box, which is free, running on my iMac and it works.

You could install Virtual Box on your windows machine and do it there as well, might be easier.

Not having done this myself I can't say if any of the above is really a good advice.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx
Pages: 1
  Print