Pages: 1
  Print  
Author Topic: Progress report  (Read 3107 times)
Offline (Male) Josh @ Dreamland
Posted on: November 16, 2008, 09:41:36 AM

Prince of all Goldfish
Developer

View Profile Email
Just so you people know I'm still alive.

I've fixed a lot since R3. You'll find basically all of this on the todo page, but since many aren't aware it exists, I'm posting it here.
  • I redid pretty much everything and remade the syntax file (fnames.txt). And by redid everything, I mean I went over all the code and made corrections, minor, optimizational, or otherwise.
  • draw_text no longer messes up the projection.
  • Variables declared in scripts now work in any object that runs the script
  • room_restart() and game_end() are now implemented. I also added room_next() and room_previous(), though it should be noted room errors in enigma are not fatal. (Division by zero, however, is VERY fatal. Don't divide by zero, ...<_<
  • WILDCLASS now uses pointer-to-pointer-to types. Any kind of variable can now be referenced between objects.
  • The script-path tracer is fixed, scripts are totally fine now.
  • The parser's treating of typenames and casts is now fixed. The system makes a lot of assumptions that my thinking suggests are safe bets 100% of the time. In case of any compile errors in the upcoming release, PLEASE inform me.
  • Array indexes involving arithmetic now work. What a sad glitch I had missed.
  • The window resizes as room changes.
  • Room background color is no longer inverted.
  • Decimals with no preceding whole integer work again.
  • Window functions now actually work. I just never bothered to test them before R3.
  • Build mode will no longer freeze if either of the grid dimensions is set to zero.
  • Friction is now accurate.
  • Sprite indexes are now initialized properly.
  • Views work 100% now.
  • keyboard_check... and mouse_check... now use correct types.
  • Instances that skipped an id number are no longer created twice.

I also have a special surprise in store, of which I'm sure a few of you are already aware. You'll be hearing about it quite soon.

As one last thing, ENIGMA R3b shouldn't be very long either. I'm mostly waiting for Luda to finish Colligma while going back and fixing errors, at this point.

What I'm currently working on:
- Redoing instances to fix a potential problem with rooms, as well as implement depth
- Working with create events and destroy events to avoid more problems with rooms

What I've recently done:
- Added something called PCS, or "Pre/Post-compile script", which will allow you to pass parameters to GCC as well as execute functions on the exe before resources are added. This will really help with filesize and speed.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 09:52:45 AM by Josh @ Dreamland » Logged
"That is the single most cryptic piece of code I have ever seen." -Master PobbleWobble
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -Evelyn Beatrice Hall, Friends of Voltaire
Offline (Male) RetroX
Reply #1 Posted on: November 16, 2008, 06:56:35 PM

Master of all things Linux
Contributor
MSN Messenger - classixretrox@gmail.com
View Profile Email
Are you going to give us a release date, or leave us in the dark without a light switch?
My Box: Phenom II 3.4GHz X4 | ASUS ATI RadeonHD 5770, 1GB GDDR5 RAM | 1x4GB DDR3 SRAM | Arch Linux, x86_64 (Cube) / Windows 7 x64 (Blob)
Quote from: Fede-lasse
Why do all the pro-Microsoft people have troll avatars? :(
Offline (Male) nbeerbower
Reply #2 Posted on: November 17, 2008, 04:01:25 PM

View Profile Email
Are you going to give us a release date, or leave us in the dark without a light switch?

Ask Ludamad when he's going to finish Colligma. :P
Reply #3 Posted on: November 21, 2008, 06:16:49 PM

Prince of all Goldfish
Developer

View Profile Email
Yeah, lots of waiting going on, but like I said, still and always renovating.

Made my own instance list that will handle depth now. Currently it can insert and delete, etc; the easy things. I'm making an even lower-cost list to handle cleanups.
"That is the single most cryptic piece of code I have ever seen." -Master PobbleWobble
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -Evelyn Beatrice Hall, Friends of Voltaire
Offline (Unknown gender) OniLink10
Reply #4 Posted on: November 22, 2008, 01:26:18 AM

View Profile Email
Are you working on shrinking the EXE Size and reducing RAM Usage? If you are, what is the Current EXE Size and RAM Usage for an Empty Room?
Offline (Male) RetroX
Reply #5 Posted on: November 22, 2008, 10:07:07 AM

Master of all things Linux
Contributor
MSN Messenger - classixretrox@gmail.com
View Profile Email
Tell me, Oni, do we really care?

What the RAM usage is of a simple C++ window?

Also, adding a frameskip variable would be nice.  And if I think I know how ENIGMA works, I think it would be easy.
My Box: Phenom II 3.4GHz X4 | ASUS ATI RadeonHD 5770, 1GB GDDR5 RAM | 1x4GB DDR3 SRAM | Arch Linux, x86_64 (Cube) / Windows 7 x64 (Blob)
Quote from: Fede-lasse
Why do all the pro-Microsoft people have troll avatars? :(
Reply #6 Posted on: November 22, 2008, 01:07:26 PM

Prince of all Goldfish
Developer

View Profile Email
Oni-- My last piece of eyecandy was 300KB stripped. (100KB zipped, 30kb 7z'd)

Retro-- Define frameskip. Just to do nothing for one step? Simple.
Offline (Male) nbeerbower
Reply #7 Posted on: November 22, 2008, 05:00:06 PM

View Profile Email
My game on the EDC was about 900kb vs. more than 3 MBs when compiled with GM. I don't think optimization is on the top of the priority list. :P
Reply #8 Posted on: November 22, 2008, 05:33:04 PM

Prince of all Goldfish
Developer

View Profile Email
nbeer--
Not so much as size optimization as additional speed optimization, always in the speed of the running game, but especially in compile speed. Seriously, do you see how long that thing takes?

...I've slightly improved it since R3, but this series of patches I'm working on is what's gonna push it over.
Pages: 1
  Print