Pages: 1
  Print  
Author Topic: Some issues from a new member  (Read 1792 times)
Offline (Unknown gender) Gonar
Posted on: April 24, 2014, 04:12:05 AM

View Profile
Hi all :)
I used to love make scripts/libraries at gamemaker and when i find you, my creativity mitochondria (yes like parasite eve) come to working again.

Lets start
=======
I was trying to use a Particle System (object orient) library i had at older gamemaker. The supported libmaker.jar was crashing when i press the "Execution Code" button, even with new library created with libmaker.jar. As an attach i have the command line info that java show me. After that i found my old libmaker from GM and i remove the the DnD icons, that used the "execute_string" command cause as i noticed ENIGMA dont support it for the time being. I tried some old showcase project and while it was finished the compiling correctly, when the executable started the project executable was crashing. Then i tried (for a fast try) a copy/paste creation scripts of my lib (scripts is more powerful to work with, but libraries more easy to use), project was running but the sprite of the objects was mistaken, like the wall sprite was in place of sprite of the ball object and vice versa. It was a new project created with enigma and it was a walled room with a simple emitter. If i find time i will work more with the project so might upload an example.

Some PC info
=========
Java
===
java version "1.8.0_05"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_05-b13)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.5-b02, mixed mode)
Have 32/64 bit version of java sdk, cause as a hobby create some android apps.

OS
==
Windows 7 64bit SP1 "Home Premium"

CPU
===
AMD Phenom II X4 965

Others
=====
16GB RAM
AMD Radeon HD 6670 (graphic card)

What is better to work with Linux or Windows version, If Linux i must use a VM approach.
Does Linux version support android?
Offline (Unknown gender) Darkstar2
Reply #1 Posted on: April 24, 2014, 12:11:28 PM

View Profile Email
Wow, couldn't have come at a better time :D  Particles was something talked about lots lately and was fixed very recently and working now :D

Keep in mind that ENIGMA is still being developed and improved, it is understaffed atm and the people who are taking care of it are quite busy and will work on the project on their own free time.   It is not 100% compatible to GMS yet, (and it is not such a bad thing LOL :D) and there are certain things / bugs to sort out, but they are getting taken care of surprisingly much faster than YYG trails on forever :D

I know how you feel, I too was excited joining ENIGMA and saw the potential right away.  First thing you will notice is what GMS should have been day 1.......COMPILED !  And ENIGMA produces EXE far smaller and faster than the YYC !  But as you will discover eventually there might be certain things you might not be able to do yet or issues, you can report those in issues / helpdesk / tracker.  From the time I joined here and today lots have been fixed ! Quite bloody amazing if you ask me, I wish YOYO GAMES that is far more staffed and takes our money, was more receptive to people !

Reply #2 Posted on: April 24, 2014, 01:15:07 PM

View Profile
I know :)
Also thanks in advance for this well done project, that i hope to become better and better :)
My style is to create some scripts/libraries that save times in terms of simple games, like grid moving engine, platform,... maybe one day i will start create a final fantasy engine (jrpg) to remember some of my childhood memories.
Keep in mind that the best programs are produced from programmers that do for their personal reason (fun, test,...) and not for money. And this is one of them with its +|- :)
Also my job have nothing to do with PCs, i am simply here cause i like programming, creation,... I think like all in here :)
Reply #3 Posted on: April 24, 2014, 01:54:49 PM

View Profile Email
BTW, I noticed you have a Phenom II x4 965, that was my last processor and the last ever decent made AMD CPU for games. Really good CPU, never disappoint me. :D

I too like to experiment and program and learn as I go.  It gets those brain cells working and exercising, and with ENIGMA, you will be working those cells over time  ;D but luckily the developers here are respectful of members and listen to you.

Yes scripts is what I do too for my own games / purposes.  I too would like to write stuff in ENIGMA from scratch, that is what I aim to do, writing scripts for game handling, dynamic resource handling, compression, single file resources, text scripts, effects, etc. so that I use them in my own games.

You can do all that in ENIGMA and even more too.  There are things supported in ENIGMA that are NOT in CrapMakerStudio.   You will soon discover as you read and experiment.

There is support for video playback (directshow), so you can have your own cut scenes, something that was removed by YYG!!!  you have other exclusive goodness as well.  some might be better explained to you by the developers themselves.

But remember there are things that work differently in ENIGMA, you will have to get used to them.  They use an extension system where you can enable/disable individually.  Some game functions will require you enable some extensions for them to work.  In other cases you might want to disable them to further optimize your game.  Something very deficient in YYG, which is why their files are bigger. :D

Also with sounds here, they are not mangled like with YYG that compresses EVERYTHING regardless of the format.  Here you can use MP3, WAV, OGG natively (OpenAL), they will be used as such in your game and not transformed in any way.

Oh and if you find bugs or stuff that don't work be sure to post it - to keep them busy ! :D :D :D
but keep in mind it does not guarantee things will be fixed or addressed in a timely manner as they are quite busy.

In my opinion, and I stress, IN MY OPINION, I think the Game Maker project was acquired by the WRONG people.  They completely changed the whole purpose of that software and turned it into some overly expensive limited junk with so many flaws and poor implementations of stuff.  What bloody $800 software does not support video handling functions, that is standard feature you see on all other RAD/Game Making tools !!!  and the list goes on and on.
and now with v1.3 and people complaining of slow downs in their games........and too many issues that keep piling up.

So since we both came from GMC, if you don't mind me asking, what inspired you to come to ENIGMA ? To me it was YYG's attitude and how they respond to the community, the directions they are taking, and the ridiculous shitless excuses they gave for removing functions from windows ....  I don't like being taken for a fool so they are not getting anymore of my money.  :D  What about you?
Reply #4 Posted on: April 24, 2014, 03:00:57 PM

View Profile
I was found ENIGMA by mistake :P
Immediately i recognize the potentials, i had stop working with game engines for a long time.  I am in the mood for some creativity, i have pasted many faces of creativity, blender, gamemaker, photoshop, mud server, android, ... now i am in the mood for some ENIGMA :) for how long, none knows! i am driven by my mood and fun. When i will not have any fun i will stop simple :P But i know that if a good rad game engine come along with nice support that is driven not for money, will keep me for a long time. Maybe start coding again :P I am a bit of jack of all trade. a bit basic, pascal, c, asm,... but never go deep water, just learned what i was needed that period. but also i am rusty in term of programming, so at first we do simple steps, who knows might ride a bicycle again :)
Maybe enigma make me do some diving, who knows, depends all to the mood and free time ofc.

One thing i know about everything, a strong base make a fine and secure building. ENIGMA start like one, now lets start making some bricks, by giving examples, engines features or by simple addons that will make ENIGMA work easier :P

PS: my last GM was GM 6.1. after that i stop working with it, maybe support the forum by some help, libraries, scripts, but that's it and after awhile stop completely.
Reply #5 Posted on: April 24, 2014, 05:31:26 PM

View Profile Email
I was found ENIGMA by mistake :P

Yeah some mistakes in life are beneficial :D

I found it through the GMC forum, oddly enough lol.
I don't remember how it could have been by  a posting from one of its authors too :D  Some of them got banned there !  They cannot stand reason and being told how something should be done and how not to mess up :P   ENIGMA was started by actual GM users and who were once active in GMC from what I know, so I guess we should all thank YoYoGames for ENIGMA, without them there would not be an ENIGMA !  ;D ;D ;D

Immediately i recognize the potentials,

I think I might have had a hard-on first time I read about ENIGMA :P  It still has some ways to go,but I can clearly see the few left to handle it are doing their very best and they do things right.  They are just understaffed at the moment, and after all this is a free project.

me for a long time. Maybe start coding again :P I am a bit of jack of all trade. a bit basic, pascal, c, asm,... but never go deep water, just learned what i was

We are in the same boat. I used to do programming, big time when I had time and really liked it, I learned most on my own.  I too did BASIC, who didn't :D  Mastered it, also PASCAL (in school :D) I didn't do any C....The only C++ I am learning is with ENIGMA and barely getting into it.  ASM I did too.  Then I guess work and busy life, stress, etc, I dropped all that, scheduling not permitting.  But now starting to get my feet wet again. 

needed that period. but also i am rusty in term of programming, so at first we do simple steps, who knows might ride a bicycle again :)

Well I am rusty too so much that my body aches lol.
So let's both break the rusty and get busy and let's keep this forum alive and Robert & Co. busy  ;D

Maybe enigma make me do some diving, who knows, depends all to the mood and free time ofc.

Don't get too cocky though  ;D you might land straight on your head :P  Understand there are currently still some limitations and issues with ENIGMA.  Luckily it's functional enough to do lots still
but don't expect 100% compatibility. There are still certain things that need tweaking.

One thing i know about everything, a strong base make a fine and secure building. ENIGMA start like one, now lets start making some bricks, by giving examples, engines features or by simple addons that will make ENIGMA work easier :P

Maybe you can help them further develop / fix ENIGMA, they are always looking for people to help and contribute.   I wish I could but I lack the coding skill, not into C++.  Maybe if ENIGMA gets a version written in BASIC! lol!

PS: my last GM was GM 6.1. after that i stop working with it, maybe support the forum by some help, libraries, scripts, but that's it and after awhile stop completely.

Oh!  You haven't used GMS ????  Things have gone a long way from GM6.1...Performance improvements, proper full screen handling, physics and other new additions, however, they also introduced so much crap too and derailed. :)

Remember back in the GM5-6 days people were day dreaming about one day if it were possible to compile C++ instead of using an interpreter / runner.... and I remember people getting orgasms on the thought of having their game COMPILED, and the usual response was it would be impossible or unlikely or too much work.  So if you used GM6 you are probably familiar with the performance issues if you made your games too complex.    I purchased version 7, 8.1 and GMS, and the buck stopped there !  Some people suggested I use pirated versions of GMS Master, but that's not me, and not even worth the wasted magnetic particles lol, and somehow ENIGMA was introduced through reading posts from disgruntled GMC members. :D

Reply #6 Posted on: April 24, 2014, 06:04:40 PM

View Profile
I will use smaller sentences.
I am not cocky, i try do something, might do, might dont, you never know until you try :)
If yoyo only let me with the sweet memories of GM6.1 :P like i said i help forums until 8.1 (but not very active). i was a beta tester at GMS, when even update didnt do correctly :P Also one friend bought GMS MASTER and now and then he ask me about some ideas who i would have done it :P (doesnt mean i am correct, but to call me he must have tried anything else :P)
Also i am against pirate software, i use open source or free software and if i NEED something that cant find anywhere then i bought it. The last software i bought was Basic4Android, an android RAD software that use a Basic syntax (i must confess i am always in love with basic, it was my first programing language and like all say, YOU NEVER FORGET your first!) :) I did in 1 hour, what i was trying to do in java about 2 days :P i would never try again learn java alone :P
Reply #7 Posted on: April 24, 2014, 09:37:18 PM

View Profile Email
Well yeah it's hard to hate BASIC, and yes you can make stuff much faster in less lines of code but it comes with a price of being an interpreted language. :D

I use to experiment porting the same BASIC stuff I did into ASM and comparing the difference in speed :D

Mind you GML is just as easy if not easier than BASIC,
at least in GML you can get stuff done in fewer (much fewer) lines of code than BASIC...... :D

I used QBASIC extensively (QB45) that was fun too.
And I used the original BASIC too. 

Who can forget the
10 PRINT"HELLO WORLD!"
20 GOTO 10

lol
Offline (Male) Goombert
Reply #8 Posted on: April 26, 2014, 04:55:22 PM

Developer

View Profile
That is a known bug of the Library Maker, place the jar directly next to lateralgm.jar, it needs JoshEdit in its class path.
I think it was Leonardo da Vinci who once said something along the lines of "If you build the robots, they will make games." or something to that effect.

Reply #9 Posted on: April 28, 2014, 10:39:26 AM

View Profile
just move the libmaker.jar at the same folder with lateralgm.jar (which mine is D:\ENIGMA\enigma-dev)
still when a create an action and press "execution code" or "initialisation code" get the same error at commandline and dont show anything.
Offline (Male) Goombert
Reply #10 Posted on: April 28, 2014, 03:08:18 PM

Developer

View Profile
I'll have to look into it when I have time.
I think it was Leonardo da Vinci who once said something along the lines of "If you build the robots, they will make games." or something to that effect.

Reply #11 Posted on: April 28, 2014, 03:34:41 PM

View Profile
hi and the only i can say is :)
Pages: 1
  Print