Pages: 1
  Print  
Author Topic: I want to like Chrome  (Read 1097 times)
Offline (Unknown gender) daz
Posted on: April 21, 2014, 07:08:59 PM
Contributor

View Profile
I've been using Chrome as my main browser for a while for a couple of reasons. For one, I have a Chromebook, and the user experience between devices is rock solid. Secondly, I used to use Opera until they gave up on their engine and basically just wrapped around Chrome's engine -- except they took out all of the features that made Opera, well... Opera. So now Opera is just like a gimped version of Chrome. Lastly, Chrome does have excellent performance. In Firefox, I frequently get UI hangs. If I open a new tab that's loading and try to go back to scrolling a web page or even selecting another tab, the damn thing freezes.

But jesus fucking christ Chrome's using 3gb of ram. Granted, I do have 22 tabs open, but this is just insane.

I have Visual Studio, Eclipse, and an Android emulator running and combined they use less ram than Chrome. Dafuck.

TL;DR IE is the best browser.
Offline (Male) Rusky
Reply #1 Posted on: April 21, 2014, 11:59:05 PM

Resident Troll
MSN Messenger - rpjohnst@gmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
Chrome avoids Firefox's UI hangs by putting every tab in its own process. Firefox is working on adding that. The tradeoff, of course, is more memory usage.
Offline (Male) Josh @ Dreamland
Reply #2 Posted on: April 22, 2014, 07:38:10 AM

Prince of all Goldfish
Developer

View Profile Email
I prefer the Firefox method, or *maybe* one process for domain. But I'm quite happy with one-process browsing. One per window would be fine.
"That is the single most cryptic piece of code I have ever seen." -Master PobbleWobble
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -Evelyn Beatrice Hall, Friends of Voltaire
Offline (Male) Rusky
Reply #3 Posted on: April 22, 2014, 09:16:37 AM

Resident Troll
View Profile WWW Email
I mostly use Firefox right now, but it is annoying when a website thinks it needs 100% of your browser's CPU time to run an animation and this locks up the whole browser. Lightweight threads would probably be more ideal.
Offline (Unknown gender) daz
Reply #4 Posted on: April 22, 2014, 01:37:45 PM
Contributor

View Profile
How is having tabs in their own process a requirement for a smooth UI? Can't they just put the UI and renderer on different threads? I have 6 cores for god's sake, use them! In all honesty though I really do like firefox, especially how flexible it is.
Offline (Unknown gender) Darkstar2
Reply #5 Posted on: April 22, 2014, 01:45:36 PM

View Profile Email
How is having tabs in their own process a requirement for a smooth UI? Can't they just put the UI and renderer on different threads? I have 6 cores for god's sake, use them! In all honesty though I really do like firefox, especially how flexible it is.

Reminds me of a topic I made about hardware not being used to fullest :D   Yeah we have tons of processor cores and memory and power that is not used, but reasons for that were given too.
Yeah in an IDEAL world all programs should make FULL use of hardware capabilities, full RAM, full cores. :D

I personally use FIREFOX and love it I would not change but I did experience those annoying crashes and other issues.  If FIREFOX offers this in the future I hope it will be an option you can turn on and off.
In my case I have 4 cores (4.2Ghz each) and 16GB of RAM, so I don't think I would mind the extra resources.  Besides when using browser I rarely leave other heavy apps running at same time.

Offline (Male) Rusky
Reply #6 Posted on: April 22, 2014, 03:33:16 PM

Resident Troll
View Profile WWW Email
Chrome uses processes not only for a smoother UI (i.e. a non-freezing UI), but for security- if a site exploits your browser, it can't get anything but its own tab.
Offline (Male) Josh @ Dreamland
Reply #7 Posted on: April 22, 2014, 10:09:03 PM

Prince of all Goldfish
Developer

View Profile Email
So like I said, one tab per domain. I have like thirty GitHub tabs open, a dozen or so ENIGMA tabs open, six YouTube tabs open, some dozen or so pastebin tabs, twenty image tabs, and then the rest (probably another twenty) have unique domains. We're talking about a 70% savings.
"That is the single most cryptic piece of code I have ever seen." -Master PobbleWobble
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -Evelyn Beatrice Hall, Friends of Voltaire
Pages: 1
  Print