Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 »
  Print  
Author Topic: LateralGM 1.8.5  (Read 12320 times)
Offline (Male) Goombert
Reply #30 Posted on: April 19, 2014, 10:56:37 PM

Developer

View Profile
Great reid! :)

@Darkstar2, these exceptions have always existed in ENIGMA, you're just now finding out about them, this is why the new exception reporting is so awesome.
I think it was Leonardo da Vinci who once said something along the lines of "If you build the robots, they will make games." or something to that effect.

Offline (Unknown gender) Darkstar2
Reply #31 Posted on: April 19, 2014, 11:00:33 PM

View Profile Email
Great reid! :)

@Darkstar2, these exceptions have always existed in ENIGMA, you're just now finding out about them, this is why the new exception reporting is so awesome.

Yeah but now when I get this message I cannot work on my project anymore.  I have to close LGM completely because the compile and play button are greyed out.

Before in LGM these things did not happen :D

I used to get similar crap with GayStudio when using lot of sprites / objects.  In LGM seems to work far better with bigger projects :D

Offline (Male) Goombert
Reply #32 Posted on: April 19, 2014, 11:13:20 PM

Developer

View Profile
Yes but the point is, Josh wouldn't believe that ENIGMA is crashing JNA and in turn causing random segfaults that takes LGM and file changes with it. We don't want to ignore these issues, we want to fix them. Do you have the file that cause the exception? Or was it random?
I think it was Leonardo da Vinci who once said something along the lines of "If you build the robots, they will make games." or something to that effect.

Reply #33 Posted on: April 19, 2014, 11:19:34 PM

View Profile Email
Yes but the point is, Josh wouldn't believe that ENIGMA is crashing JNA and in turn causing random segfaults that takes LGM and file changes with it. We don't want to ignore these issues, we want to fix them. Do you have the file that cause the exception? Or was it random?

Random.  The same project ran fine after a restart. :)

Reply #34 Posted on: April 19, 2014, 11:32:11 PM

View Profile Email
Wow I am curious as to whether people made full games with ENIGMA, it is giving me a big headache and is a pain in the ass :(  More errors random.

I think this can be reproduced, I see a pattern of it happening after you run your game many times within
LGM.   I have to exit LGm and restart it again.

:D

Is LGM posessed ? :P
Offline (Male) Goombert
Reply #35 Posted on: April 19, 2014, 11:43:53 PM

Developer

View Profile
Are you on Linux or Windows? I've been running it quite a bit too, and all I've gotten so far is a segfault, but I always get those when I am editing the source files.

Reply #36 Posted on: April 19, 2014, 11:57:51 PM

View Profile Email
Always on windows7 64bit, no linux here :D

Offline (Unknown gender) TheExDeus
Reply #37 Posted on: April 20, 2014, 06:30:58 AM

Developer

View Profile
There is a bug with auto-complete. When you type a function (like draw_sp) and press Ctrl+Space and then Enter it will trow an exception (actually many exceptions, it will keep trowing them until I end LGM process). The bug is in the Enter part, because when I open the auto-complete window with Ctrl+Space and choose with mouse, then it works.
Exception - http://pastebin.com/YA3hcchF
Offline (Male) Goombert
Reply #38 Posted on: April 20, 2014, 02:07:52 PM

Developer

View Profile
Harri, that is the exact bug I attempted to fix. I have decided to just check the regular keycodes instead of the damn escape sequences.
This was the commit.
https://github.com/IsmAvatar/LateralGM/commit/7d9833c36bbcc3e860ba2f3d0f61a4f74a1684f9

The new LGM is on the extra packages page, it is also now in the Portable ZIP.
http://enigma-dev.org/docs/Wiki/Install:Extra_Packages#LateralGM
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 03:04:04 PM by Robert B Colton » Logged

Offline (Unknown gender) egofree
Reply #39 Posted on: April 20, 2014, 03:11:43 PM
Contributor

View Profile Email
Wow I am curious as to whether people made full games with ENIGMA, it is giving me a big headache and is a pain in the ass :( 

Well, you understand now why in the 'win enigma competiton' topic i said this competition is useless now, and the main priority should be bugs fixing. No wonder no full games have been made with enigma so far. I know some people who say the contrary but we have not seen so far any games from these people !  ;) Still i come here because i like this community and i really hope one day enigma will get successful, but i hope it will happen before i die !  ;)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 03:34:45 PM by egofree » Logged
Reply #40 Posted on: April 20, 2014, 04:07:45 PM

View Profile Email
Wow I am curious as to whether people made full games with ENIGMA, it is giving me a big headache and is a pain in the ass :( 

Well, you understand now why in the 'win enigma competiton' topic i said this competition is useless now, and the main priority should be bugs fixing. No wonder no full games have been made with enigma so far. I know some people who say the contrary but we have not seen so far any games from these people !  ;) Still i come here because i like this community and i really hope one day enigma will get successful, but i hope it will happen before i die !  ;)

Still ENIGMA's development is faster than many of the other "alternatives" that are mostly piece of junk (won't mention names) that gets updated once in a blue moon :P  So yeah I think ENIGMA is far more functional than other similar try-hards wannabes :D  I'm not talking about GMS which is already slowed to a crawl (they are busy working on their crappy new IDE and new "wee exports" as someone else mentioned :P instead of fixing their !=wee mess.
the junk out there trying to do what ENIGMA is doing,  I am referring to other GM derivatives :p
So far of all I tried ENIGMA is best, more functional.

I am convinced ENIGMA can be used to make MYST type games....There is support for video and external resource handling and other features obsolete in GMS, pretty much any point and click adventure,
MYST type, interactive / adventure, etc.  That is a theory.  In practice, can ENIGMA handle large resources, large games? I have not tried.

Not ready to abandon ENIGMA !  As to full games, it depends.  Sure you can make full games, I can make a full catch the clowns game  ;D ;D ;D assuming movement and collision works in ENIGMA, that would be possible ! But now with particles working again (Thanks Ex), I can make catch the clowns with particles LOL (just saying, mind you I won't do it).  Perhaps there are certain things that would require work-arounds, more work, etc.  Might be difficult to make certain complex games due to some things not working yet in ENIGMA.  So yeah, it depends on the type of full game. :D  But seems it doesn't take much to be successful, stick figure, clones, crap released with GMS gets lot of attention.  :D

but i hope it will happen before i die !

;D Right don't get your hopes up there :P  Somehow ENIGMA seems to have a magnet that pushes people away I dunno, many calls were made by different people but it seems the project does not gather interest, or my secret theories involving YoYoG**s.
I tried getting the word around but you should see the responses lol ...   So that's what happens when you have a project that is understaffed and relies on 1 or 2 people who already are very busy.  and perhaps maybe because it is a FREE project, guess that model does not interest many developers, either that or people are busy and free time is a difficult concept nowadays......understandably. :D

« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 04:13:16 PM by Darkstar2 » Logged
Offline (Male) Goombert
Reply #41 Posted on: April 20, 2014, 04:30:46 PM

Developer

View Profile
Ok I have made the exception handling a little better. In the event an exception occurs where Java continues pumping events (such as an exception when painting a control) you should now be able to close the main frame or even attempt to save a backup of your project to stop from losing changes because the dialog is no longer modal. The dialog also will no longer block other applications so you should be able to open task manger as a final solution if nothing else works.

Please update both the LateralGM and plugin jar files and then git pull from the ENIGMA repo.
http://enigma-dev.org/docs/Wiki/Install:Extra_Packages

You can also simply download the updated Portable ZIP for Windows.
http://enigma-dev.org/docs/Wiki/Install:Windows

Offline (Unknown gender) TheExDeus
Reply #42 Posted on: April 21, 2014, 05:49:15 AM

Developer

View Profile
I am convinced ENIGMA can be used to make MYST type games....There is support for video and external resource handling and other features obsolete in GMS, pretty much any point and click adventure,
MYST type, interactive / adventure, etc.  That is a theory.  In practice, can ENIGMA handle large resources, large games? I have not tried.
It can make any kind of game. The problem seems to be that you and others think that if ENIGMA doesn't have feature X that GM has, then it suddenly cannot do anything. Yes, there are bugs, but most of the time you can go around them. Like in case of particle system not working you could of made your own. Making a particle system in GML/EDL is less than 100 lines. So I am not only convinced, but certain that GM can make Diablo, Bastion, FTL, MYST, Fallout, Arcanum and even Portal. It's just that you won't have a "Portal extension" coming with ENIGMA just to make a portal game in 20 lines of code. You still have to do the work. But we already had an off-topic about that. So no reason to beat a dead horse. :)

Ok I have made the exception handling a little better. In the event an exception occurs where Java continues pumping events (such as an exception when painting a control) you should now be able to close the main frame or even attempt to save a backup of your project to stop from losing changes because the dialog is no longer modal. The dialog also will no longer block other applications so you should be able to open task manger as a final solution if nothing else works.
Thank you.
Offline (Male) Sslaxx
Reply #43 Posted on: April 21, 2014, 06:41:12 AM

AOL Instant Messenger - MrSslaxx Yahoo Instant Messenger - mrsslaxx
View Profile Email
Something broke the install.py script. It's throwing this error every time:
stuart@stuart-ubuntu-mainpc:~/CVS/ENIGMA$ python ./install.py
Enigma package manager
Installing main please wait...
INFO: no dependencies for jnaJar
INFO: jnaJar already up-to-date (same hash)
INFO: no dependencies for lgm
INFO: lgm already up-to-date (same hash)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./install.py", line 101, in <module>
    downloadPackage(g_packageToInstall)
  File "./install.py", line 85, in downloadPackage
    downloadPackage(dependency)
  File "./install.py", line 75, in downloadPackage
    packageURL = packageProperties[3]
IndexError: list index out of range
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.
Offline (Male) Goombert
Reply #44 Posted on: April 21, 2014, 02:00:03 PM

Developer

View Profile
Nobody has edited that script in years Sslaxx, I've only updated the hashes of the new Jars.
https://github.com/enigma-dev/ExtraPackages/blob/master/Packages.md5

I think the script always says that whenever you are already up to date, I can't remember.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 »
  Print