Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 »
  Print  
Author Topic: LateralGM 1.8.5  (Read 12293 times)
Offline (Unknown gender) Darkstar2
Reply #45 Posted on: April 21, 2014, 05:30:05 PM

View Profile Email
can make any kind of game. The problem seems to be that you and others think that if ENIGMA doesn't have feature X that GM has, then it suddenly cannot do anything.

I don't recall the term used "cannot do anything" but for example if I want to do a game that has parts in them and ENIGMA can't, then I can't.  Same if I want to do a game that has video / cut scenes (pre rendered) I cannot in GMS because those fools were too lazy to support something across all platforms :D
The whole idea for GM/ENIGMA is for those who do not code and skilled enough to build a game from scratch using code( C++, etc.) instead use D&D or an easy to learn GML in hopes of moving up eventually.

Yes, there are bugs, but most of the time you can go around them. Like in case of particle system not working you could of made your own. Making a particle system in GML/EDL is less than 100 lines.

It's not really fair to say something like that because if I knew I would have done it :D That's like YYG saying to their customers "Oh we don't support video because we don't give a shit, do your own !" in fact they did say that rubbish lol, that kinda defeat the whole purpose of people using GM don't you think ?
Same for ENIGMA.  I barely am getting into GML, I am not 100% fluent yet in GML, but I know enough about programming logic to help me get further up, but I still lack skill to make stuff from scratch, meaning those 100 lines you speak about for parts. :D

So I am not only convinced, but certain that GM can make Diablo, Bastion, FTL, MYST, Fallout, Arcanum and even Portal. It's just that you won't have a "Portal extension" coming with ENIGMA just to make a portal game in 20 lines of code. You still have to do the work.

Regardless of whether you have functions to do things, you still need work to piece it together. :D
For particles, there are many functions for parts, but if you don't know how to use them, they are useless :D  There are games you can't do, of course if you don't have the functions or anything to work with, what does it leave people ? Having to look for DLLs or make their own.......:P not everyone can make their own, or they'd probably not be using GM/ENIGMA in some cases.  Ok some people use GM/ENIGMA to speed up the game making process, but many use it because they don't know how to code.   Personally I would be user 1, even if I knew C++ and everything needed to build from scratch due to lack of time. :P

As far as GM making MYST I doubt it.  What MYST does not have cut scenes. :P  and GMS does not support any video function, yeah I know the phrase "do your own" from the devs there, but the only GMMovieDLL is old, obsolete and does not work.

In ENIGMA, yes it would be possible, and if ever there is rendering video on surfaces, would make for even more advanced game (mixing of live video / renders inside gameplay, as in a version of MYST. 

Offline (Unknown gender) egofree
Reply #46 Posted on: April 22, 2014, 02:20:11 AM
Contributor

View Profile Email
Right don't get your hopes up there :P

What i am afraid is that important contributors of ENIGMA said they are leaving the project (Robert, Josh, IsmAvatar). Most of them are still here, but for how long ?
Reply #47 Posted on: April 22, 2014, 02:38:00 AM

View Profile Email
They already mentioned their interest in the project and it shows,
fact, ENIGMA has gotten far more updates and fixes than the GMS mess costing up to 3 figures :P 

2 big differences between ENIGMA and GM

When there is an issue or something broken in ENIGMA, it eventually gets fixed on their own free time, but they admit there is something and fix it and work to find solutions and listen to their community.....

GM messes the fuck up, sleep on it then deprecate and remove the feature altogether, and don't listen to their PAYING customer.  Imagine, a paid product on top of it, that is rubbish way of doing business. :D

So it's funny I think I'd place my bets on ENIGMA at this point.  I am SURPRISED that with what ENIGMA can do right now, that there has not been more interest from new developers.  There are still a few fixes required for ENIGMA, some small ones some major ones,
so in my opinion I don't think they are ready to abandon it yet, but that's just an opinion.....  I had some crazy conspiracy theories at some point which I don't think I will share publicly, but someone here knows what I am referring to :D  With recent events, I guess my theories are fading :P

When they leave/IF they leave only they can answer :D

Maybe when they piss each other enough where they can't take it anymore and have to file the divorce papers !  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Reply #48 Posted on: April 25, 2014, 05:00:23 AM
Contributor

View Profile Email
Thanks a lot for your work Robert. What about adding these features in the code editor ? :

- Adding the find/replace command in a menu. I didn't see this command anywhere in the menus. As i understand, it's only available by pressing ctrl + f.
- Adding the possibility to do a global find in all files. For example, i would like to look for a variable in all my files. I don't think it's possible right now. I miss this feature a lot. I see two possibilities : with a dialog window where you enter keywords, or in the code editor, right clicking on a word and choosing 'Find all references'. The results would be displayed as a listview on the bottom of the screen. This is how it's made in Visual Studio.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 05:06:58 AM by egofree » Logged
Offline (Male) Goombert
Reply #49 Posted on: April 25, 2014, 05:30:32 PM

Developer

View Profile
We'll see egofree, I am so swamped right now I can't even respond to posts. But yes the find and replace shit needs worked out, I'll get to it, eventually.
I think it was Leonardo da Vinci who once said something along the lines of "If you build the robots, they will make games." or something to that effect.

Offline (Unknown gender) TheExDeus
Reply #50 Posted on: April 27, 2014, 05:34:15 AM

Developer

View Profile
In Event Selector I cannot add Key Pressed -> press <Enter> event. Same with Key Released.
Reply #51 Posted on: April 27, 2014, 12:24:13 PM

View Profile Email
In Event Selector I cannot add Key Pressed -> press <Enter> event. Same with Key Released.

Same for key released enter :D
Offline (Male) Goombert
Reply #52 Posted on: April 27, 2014, 03:42:27 PM

Developer

View Profile
Whoops looks like I overlooked key release and key press, I only fixed the regular key events, my mistake.

I have now fixed it, and you can download the new LGM from the Extra Packages page. I have also updated the Portable ZIP.
http://enigma-dev.org/docs/Wiki/Install:Extra_Packages#LateralGM
http://enigma-dev.org/docs/Wiki/Install:Windows
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 04:18:55 PM by Robert B Colton » Logged
I think it was Leonardo da Vinci who once said something along the lines of "If you build the robots, they will make games." or something to that effect.

Reply #53 Posted on: April 28, 2014, 03:59:12 AM
Contributor

View Profile Email
In my Objects folder, i've sub a sub folder with an object. If i move  this object into the parent folder by using drag and drop, and then i save the project, i've the following error message :

http://pastebin.com/Yz6e2cg1

I am using the latest version of Enigma on Windows 8.1.

Update : it happens every time i try to move an object (In the same folder also).
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 04:17:33 AM by egofree » Logged
Offline (Male) Goombert
Reply #54 Posted on: April 28, 2014, 04:25:38 AM

Developer

View Profile
I'll fix that right away egofree, just click on any node in the tree so that it is selected and then hit save again. This was an existing bug in LGM I reported these negative model selections along time ago but just never fixed them all.

https://github.com/IsmAvatar/LateralGM/issues/93
The patch was submitted in the following commit.
https://github.com/IsmAvatar/LateralGM/commit/5c9b35dd699f8fd9b32becf94fd326f6ed5c8d4d

You can obtain the patched LateralGM from the Extra Packages page.
http://enigma-dev.org/docs/Wiki/Install:Extra_Packages#LateralGM
The new Portable ZIP is also available for download.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 05:10:40 AM by Robert B Colton » Logged

Reply #55 Posted on: April 30, 2014, 03:47:02 AM
Contributor

View Profile Email
I don't remember if i reported already this error, but in the ENIGMA settings, if you put some codes in 'Definitions', and start a new project, the code is still here ! It happens also if you start again ENIGMA.
Offline (Male) Goombert
Reply #56 Posted on: April 30, 2014, 03:59:24 AM

Developer

View Profile
That's supposed to happen fervi, or well, that's the way it has always been.

Anyway, I updated LGM to automatically create folders when you save a GMX. You can download LGM yourself using python install.py on Linux, downloading it from the Extra Packages page, or downloading the new Portable ZIP.
http://enigma-dev.org/docs/Wiki/Install:Extra_Packages

Reply #57 Posted on: April 30, 2014, 06:04:47 AM
Contributor

View Profile Email
If you make some modifications, for instance you rename a resource, ENIGMA doesn't take in account if you don't save the project first. Is this normal ?
Offline (Male) Goombert
Reply #58 Posted on: April 30, 2014, 04:06:14 PM

Developer

View Profile
I don't know what you mean egofree, try describing it a little better.

Offline (Male) Rusky
Reply #59 Posted on: April 30, 2014, 09:58:12 PM

Resident Troll
MSN Messenger - rpjohnst@gmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
repro steps:
1) open engima
2) make something (don't save)
3) try to run

expected result:
stuff you just made in the game

actual result: