Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 »
  Print  
Author Topic: LateralGM 1.8.5  (Read 12292 times)
Offline (Male) Goombert
Posted on: April 15, 2014, 11:25:34 PM

Developer

View Profile

NOTICE! You are advised to upgrade to the latest Java version, it will have the best performance and fix many security holes in many old Java versions. We would also like to start utilizing JavaFX features.

To try it out, simply update the following files from the extra packages page.
enigma-dev/lateralgm.jar
enigma-dev/plugins/enigma.jar
Download: http://enigma-dev.org/docs/Wiki/Install:Extra_Packages
Then update from ENIGMA's master branch. You may also simply download the new Portable ZIP for Windows.
http://enigma-dev.org/docs/Wiki/Install:Windows

If you only want to test LateralGM out without the ability to compile games then you can just download the lateralgm.jar and open it and play with it. I highly advise you back up your projects in case anything goes wrong.

If you encounter any issues or bugs I would appreciate it if you could file them on the LateralGM GitHub Issue tracker, you may file them here on the site but I would prefer they be posted on LGM's tracker, but it doesn't matter. Please don't be afraid to report issues, if I do not know what they are I can not fix them. NOTE: Please see information about the new exception dialog below.
https://github.com/IsmAvatar/LateralGM/issues?state=open

Change Log

* EGM format is now UTF-8 encoded. WARNING! Experimental, please back up your projects!
* Fixes GMX UTF-8 encoding for scripts and shaders, all other resources already had it.
* Fixes issues with the font editor so that it can support all Unicode characters and generate ranges properly.
* Patched exceptions in JoshEdit, Enter can now be used to safely complete the auto-completion window.
* New exception handling dialog, this will appear 99% of the time LGM encounters an exception and allows you to easily submit bug reports to the correct tracker, so if you submit a bug report it will automatically take you to the correct GitHub tracker where it should be posted. A picture of it is below.

* Implemented the find resource option in the main file menu, it is case sensitive and behaves the same as GM's
* Implemented the "Sort by Name" option to the resource tree.
* Fixed various inconsistent keyboard shortcuts. Shift+Delete now works on the resource tree again.
* Fixed multiple-selection and deletion, it broke when I fixed the behavior of the context menu for the resource tree, tested and it should all be good again.
* Adds multiple-selection and drag for the resource tree.
* Fixes the enter, delete, and insert key events, they now properly map the events and will save properly to all formats and work properly in ENIGMA.
* Fixes Progress Dialog exception when EGM is the first format saved.
* Fixed a typo in the GMX reader causing the object that a view is following not to be saved, it now writes and reads properly.
* Fixed delete event key in object frame, before if there was no events and you hit it an exception would occur because LGM was trying to delete the root node.
* Fixes exceptions relating to negative model selections in the resource tree.
* When saving a new GMX, LGM will now automatically create you a folder for your project.
* Other exceptions have been fixed and other improvements have been made as well.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 03:19:42 AM by Robert B Colton » Logged
I think it was Leonardo da Vinci who once said something along the lines of "If you build the robots, they will make games." or something to that effect.

Offline (Unknown gender) Darkstar2
Reply #1 Posted on: April 18, 2014, 09:19:38 PM

View Profile Email
Thanks.

BTW, updated Java to version 7 update 55, that is the most recent JAVA.

Wasn't version 8 supposed to be released in March?
Offline (Male) Goombert
Reply #2 Posted on: April 18, 2014, 09:24:01 PM

Developer

View Profile
Yes I know that, I was confused too. I don't know wtf Oracle is doing, I now have Java 8 in parallel with 7. If you want to install 8, which I don't recommend having 2 JDK's installed, visit the following link.
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/overview/java8-2100321.html
I think it was Leonardo da Vinci who once said something along the lines of "If you build the robots, they will make games." or something to that effect.

Reply #3 Posted on: April 18, 2014, 09:28:11 PM

View Profile Email
Yes I know that, I was confused too. I don't know wtf Oracle is doing, I now have Java 8 in parallel with 7. If you want to install 8, which I don't recommend having 2 JDK's installed, visit the following link.
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/overview/java8-2100321.html

Perhaps since it is a major revision it cannot be updated - it has to be uninstalled first and manually install the 8 ?

The way I update my java is through control panel, I click on the java icon and update from there.
(Win7 64bit)
Is Java 8 currently a stable build or beta ?
If it's an official release I can just go ahead and uninstall 7 to install 8.   Does it break compatibility with anything ??

BTW, does LGM 1.8.5 use Java8? Would there be any advantages to using it with Java8 or should I just stay with 7u55.

and yes, I don't intend on running both Java, either I stay with 7u55 or jump to 8.

Offline (Male) Goombert
Reply #4 Posted on: April 18, 2014, 09:30:27 PM

Developer

View Profile
I think 8 is in beta, I really can't tell. But I suggest you just stay on 7u55. There is no advantage just yet, and no LGM has not begun using any of the JavaFX dependencies yet or anything, that may in fact become a whole new project if it ever does, or rather if I ever get around to it.

Reply #5 Posted on: April 18, 2014, 09:32:57 PM

View Profile Email
Ok I'm staying with 7u55 :D 

BTW, I can't even run LGM it spits out errors :D
I have to then manually go in task manager and delete the 3-4 java.exe running. :P

I just ran the portable and installed ENIGMA the same way I did for previous builds, worked fine.

java.net.URISyntaxException: Illegal character in path at index 111: file:/D:/enigma/Attack%20of%20the%20Naked%20Blockheads%203D%20for%20ENIGMA/AOTNB/AOTNB-EGM/source/AOTNB-EGM.egm file:/D:/gmc/snake/snake.gm6 file:/D:/gmc/DYN%20Collide/DYN%20Collide.gmx/DYN%20Collide.project.gmx file:/D:/enigma/Basic3Dexample.gm6 file:/D:/enigma/360degree_gravity_2dcube.gmk file:/D:/gmc/Alien%20Joe%20Bob%20-%20Mechanics%20Engine/Alien%20Joe%20Bob%20-%20EGM.egm file:/D:/gmc/Alien%20Joe%20Bob%20-%20Mechanics%20Engine/Alien%20Joe%20Bob%20-%20GMS.gm81 file:/D:/enigma/1.project.gmx file:/D:/Input%20Box%20-%20Full.gm6 file:/D:/Input%20Box%20-%20Basic.gm6
   at java.net.URI$Parser.fail(Unknown Source)
   at java.net.URI$Parser.checkChars(Unknown Source)
   at java.net.URI$Parser.parseHierarchical(Unknown Source)
   at java.net.URI$Parser.parse(Unknown Source)
   at java.net.URI.<init>(Unknown Source)
   at org.lateralgm.components.GmMenuBar.updateRecentFiles(GmMenuBar.java:83)
   at org.lateralgm.components.GmMenuBar.<init>(GmMenuBar.java:139)
   at org.lateralgm.main.LGM.main(LGM.java:836)

Offline (Male) Goombert
Reply #6 Posted on: April 18, 2014, 09:34:09 PM

Developer

View Profile
Darkstar2, clear your recent files menu after you close that exception, then restart, it was one of the bugs fixed.

Reply #7 Posted on: April 18, 2014, 09:36:32 PM

View Profile Email
Still does not work.

My recent files area is empty.  I have win7 set up not to store recent files.

Offline (Male) Goombert
Reply #8 Posted on: April 18, 2014, 09:39:29 PM

Developer

View Profile
Open up the old LGM, and use it to clear recent files. If you do not have it you can download it here.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2l5ryr5seh8fc7c/lateralgm184.jar

Reply #9 Posted on: April 18, 2014, 09:45:31 PM

View Profile Email

Ok went in 1.84 and done now will install 1.85

Where are these recent files stored ??
(registry?folders?)
Offline (Male) Goombert
Reply #10 Posted on: April 18, 2014, 09:46:17 PM

Developer

View Profile
Ok great, they are stored by java preferences, so I think it is the registry on Windows, don't ask me where though.

Reply #11 Posted on: April 18, 2014, 09:48:49 PM

View Profile Email
Oh ok so I could have deleted them from the java control panel perhaps right ?

Now it works :D

Few questions:

1) what is Texture Atlasses ?

2) what is the constants area used for ? ( you can manually add variables and values) what specific
games would this be useful in ?

Offline (Male) Goombert
Reply #12 Posted on: April 18, 2014, 09:50:00 PM

Developer

View Profile
Not implemented, that's what, lol. It basically lets you control combining textures into single groups/pages/atlases call them what you will. This offers a performance boost on mobile devices where texture binding can be expensive, you don't need to worry about it for now.

Reply #13 Posted on: April 18, 2014, 09:53:53 PM

View Profile Email
BTW I have been curious about this for a while, it might sound weird to even ask, but does LGM have easter eggs ? :D

Offline (Male) Goombert
Reply #14 Posted on: April 18, 2014, 09:54:52 PM

Developer

View Profile
There's a few, such as the splash screen displaying "Reticulating splines" you'd have to be a Sims fan to understand, IsmAvatar did it, not me, but I'm a Sims fan too.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 »
  Print