Pages: 1
  Print  
Author Topic: New here!  (Read 1637 times)
Offline (Unknown gender) keganonthedunes
Posted on: February 25, 2014, 03:27:09 PM

View Profile Email
Hi! I am new to ENIGMA although I am not new to GML and have already made a little simple platforming engine and stuff. 2 questions:
does enigma support sprites with partial transparencies like GM Studio? it's good for vector-based graphics where the outline is partially transparent to create an anti-aliasing effect.
also is there ANY way at all to compile for android on the Windows version of enigma?
Thanks!
Offline (Male) time-killer-games
Reply #1 Posted on: February 25, 2014, 04:22:36 PM

Contributor

View Profile Email
1 - yes. partial transparency is fully supported, including anti-aliasing, not sure about vector though.
2 - no. But it won't be long before an android export will begin being developed for ENIGMA, at least that was the impression I got recently.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 04:25:19 PM by time-killer-games » Logged
Reply #2 Posted on: February 25, 2014, 04:45:39 PM

View Profile Email
I just meant that they could be made in a vector program and then rendered as png or gif images
I hope the android happens soon! maybe even ios. if i made money off an ENIGMA android game i would donate to the developers for sure lol
Offline (Male) time-killer-games
Reply #3 Posted on: February 25, 2014, 05:11:03 PM

Contributor

View Profile Email
In that case you should try a freeware or online vector <-> png converter, random example, http://www.online-convert.com/ or https://www.google.com/ I really hope the android will come around soon too, but you are on windows and wanting to develop iOS? That's not possible, sure, you can develop the game on windows but to test or compile it you need a Mac, regardless of whatever game engine in use, it's Apple's terms and there is no way to compile for iOS unless it's done by their compiler, which is Mac-only. Needless to say, GMStudio requires a Mac like any other iOS development tool.
Offline (Unknown gender) Darkstar2
Reply #4 Posted on: February 25, 2014, 05:18:49 PM

View Profile Email
There is just one bit of a problem.  In order for ENIGMA to support android export, they will have to add some restrictions / remove some functions to abide by different app store rules (mostly security issues).  This is why YoYo claimed to have removed several functionality from GM.   The problem is that they also removed those functions from windows (registry, folder creating, some file functions, etc.)

I hope ENIGMA won't do the same mistake as YoYo, and will only restrict what needs to be restricted for individual export options, leaving all those functionality for windows intact.

I don't expect to see android support any time soon they probably have other priorities for now like new compiler and fixes.  But definitely if they DO add other export options, they will have to add different sets of rules and restrictions on each individual export and not the windows export otherwise !  It's one thing to offer export to android, but they have to meet some requirements to abide by app stores.  I am not 100% sure on the technicalities but in terms of signature, security, etc. 

I am sure they will do the right thing when the time comes.  They do try as much as possible to do things right in many areas where YoYo has done wrong.
Probably the biggest benefit you will see here, is that things are compiled, and you are not being charged $299 for it.  There are other benefits to using ENIGMA as well,as you can use C++, GML & Enigma's own set of commands in your games.....

Reply #5 Posted on: February 25, 2014, 06:56:36 PM

View Profile Email
Yeah I understand. I really love and appreciate what these guys are doing though, so cool that I can use GML which i've been using for years and make/release games for free without paying $300+. I guess I'll have to stick with Windows/Linux compiles then :P which is fine because I only wanted Android export for simple arcade games anyway. I would save the "art" games for Desktop OSes. Kind of a shame enigma isn't more popular, someone should go to the yoyo forums and promote the heck out of enigma lol. people would appreciate it i think :P
Offline (Unknown gender) Darkstar2
Reply #6 Posted on: February 25, 2014, 07:51:33 PM

View Profile Email
Yeah I understand. I really love and appreciate what these guys are doing though, so cool that I can use GML which i've been using for years and make/release games for free without paying $300+.

Actually GM has many different versions standard, pro, etc.  They have a good promotion going for upgrade from standard to pro, free to standard, etc.
Also the $299 is optional.  For most people and their "lovely" games :P the runner will do just fine, the main advantage with the YYC compiler will be for CPU intensive games.  There are also other advantages for a game to be compiled to, smaller file sizes, ability to only include modules you will be using.  For ENIGMA, I've managed to make 300-400k EXEs :P once you start adding the heavy stuff it gets bigger, but compresses quite well.

You will also notice ENIGMA supports some functions that were deprecated/removed RAPED by YoYoGames, that were useful for windows, such as support for video splash and video playback functions, and more.

I guess I'll have to stick with Windows/Linux compiles then :P

For a while I guess, they have to do GLES first, but as you may have found out, ENIGMA still needs work in some areas, it is not 100% compatible nor is it complete.  There may be certain issues / bugs to be fixed.  There are CERTAIN things that I like in GM, so I am not getting rid of GM yet.  I kinda like the built-in documentation, when I am looking for something I fire the help and search, it's done faster than going through the wiki, but that is a matter of personal preference.  I also like the built-in tutorials. 

enigma isn't more popular, someone should go to the yoyo forums and promote the heck out of enigma lol. people would appreciate it i think :P

LOL.  You really do not want to encourage that or even think about that.  That would be an excellent way to get banned for life from their forum and you will get flamed a lot by the fans, mods and developers there.  It is frowned upon when discussing other products, especially those that show potential and are free :D  Besides they will find ways to degrade ENIGMA (which they already have on some occasions as they claimed it was "garbage" or they said "rubbish" and that they could not get anything to work bla bla bla :D  Diplomacy is the key. 

ENIGMA is an open source, FREE product developed by people on their spare time, so it's not yet a finished product it is still being improved and fixed, but is functional enough to make great games, and people here respond quickly, most of the times bugs / issues being fixed the same day, look where YoYo Games is at right now ? much less frequent updates now, and I know why too :P they have another big priority they are working on.  But anyhow,  I found out about ENIGMA through the GMC :P someone mentioned it, but I had also known about it using google ! But what got me to use enigma was a post by someone in the GMC, and I was shocked, because I thought it would be another crappy wanna be imitation because I tried many they sucked, was actually surprised when I first started using ENIGMA, despite some of the less kind posts made by users on the GMC and here...... :D

Offline (Male) Goombert
Reply #7 Posted on: February 26, 2014, 02:51:54 AM

Developer

View Profile
Hello keganon, we're glad you found our software useful and appreciate the feedback. Everyone else here posted very accurate information for you regarding your questions, if you have anymore feel free to ask us anything.
I think it was Leonardo da Vinci who once said something along the lines of "If you build the robots, they will make games." or something to that effect.

Pages: 1
  Print