Pages: 1
  Print  
Author Topic: Skeletal Animation  (Read 1109 times)
Offline (Male) Goombert
Posted on: November 12, 2013, 08:10:29 PM

Developer

View Profile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoZlMGU99qk
Well with the advent of Unity2D and all it is going to have like skeletal animation and such, we will probably need to add it as well.

Especially because YoYoGames is copying and pasting everything Unity is fucking doing and now have it on their roadmap.
http://help.yoyogames.com/entries/22906648
I think it was Leonardo da Vinci who once said something along the lines of "If you build the robots, they will make games." or something to that effect.

Offline (Male) time-killer-games
Reply #1 Posted on: November 13, 2013, 10:01:23 AM

Contributor

View Profile Email
Don't want to convince you of putting this high on the priority list with so much to be done as is, I don't really think I will use skeletal animations (neither 2D or 3D) but if 3D ones were also added to enigma that would be another thing that could increase popularity.

But of course I think both for 3D and 2D we need to wait until GMS supports them before we add them. If we added them first, to keep GM compatibility, they would choose different function names and argument counts than us so either we'd have to rename the functions to match theirs, making the original ones obsolete or we'd keep both the original functions and the ones introduced in GMS 1.3 which would give us duplicate functions with different names.

Adding new functions like obj model import was great but now with a lot of new features in, at this point I think there needs to be more focus on making enigma more compatible with GM 8.1 and GMS 1.2 and their existing functions, capabilities, etc.
Offline (Male) Goombert
Reply #2 Posted on: November 13, 2013, 01:43:16 PM

Developer

View Profile
My thoughts exactly. :)
I think it was Leonardo da Vinci who once said something along the lines of "If you build the robots, they will make games." or something to that effect.

Offline (Unknown gender) daz
Reply #3 Posted on: November 14, 2013, 04:12:42 PM
Contributor

View Profile
I don't think 2d skeletal animation should be a priority, but 3d skeletal animation would certainly be welcome. What else are we supposed to be doing, frame by frame exports? That's retarded.
Reply #4 Posted on: November 14, 2013, 09:00:36 PM

Contributor

View Profile Email
exactly. otherwise our 3d will remain crippled like studio's
Offline (Unknown gender) FroggestSpirit
Reply #5 Posted on: November 19, 2013, 12:23:02 AM

View Profile
I coded my own 3D skeletal animation system in ENIGMA, wasn't that hard. It has tweening too.
This isn't easy to say, but…
Reply #6 Posted on: November 19, 2013, 09:09:07 AM

Contributor

View Profile Email
Speaking of tweening - what the heck is that?
Offline (Male) DaSpirit
Reply #7 Posted on: November 19, 2013, 09:17:37 AM

View Profile
Tweening is when software takes two frames and calculates a potential frame in the middle of them. It is able to fill in more frames to make the animations appear smoother. I believe Flash has this built in.
Offline (Male) Goombert
Reply #8 Posted on: November 19, 2013, 12:06:46 PM

Developer

View Profile
DaSpirit, you're talking 2D, but basically the same concept for 3D, so just ignore me.

Pages: 1
  Print