Pages: 1
  Print  
Author Topic: ISO C99 Scalar Boolean Casting  (Read 751 times)
Offline (Male) Goombert
Posted on: October 23, 2013, 04:28:24 AM

Developer

View Profile
Well it appears we need to get on this. Basically I don't why Josh, you think that negative numbers are not boolean true, according to C99 ISO any integer value that does not equate to 0 is boolean true when cast.
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4254318/are-negative-boolean-values-defined

ยง 6.3.1.2
When any scalar value is converted to _Bool, the result is 0 if the value compares equal to 0; otherwise, the result is 1.

So my question is basically this, what is wrong with our compiler that it is not working for collision functions that return -4 (noone) ???

Also, Studio does continue this behavior from the earlier versions of Game Maker as I have tested the following code which does show a message box with -4 in it.
Code: (EDL) [Select]
if (noone) {
show_message(string(noone));
}

I only began questioning this after looking at the following code from a tutorial game that comes with Stupido I got running now that I added event inheritance.
Code: (EDL) [Select]
first_instance = collision_line(x, y, xx, yy, obj_Col_Parent, true, true);

if first_instance != noone
    {
    dx = xx - x;
    dy = yy - y;
    while (abs(dx) >= 1 || abs(dy) >= 1)
        {
        dx /= 2;
        dy /= 2;
        instance = collision_line(x, y, xx - dx, yy - dy, obj_Col_Parent, true, true);
        if (instance != noone)
I only got curious because for some reason they took the extra precaution with the result of the collision functions. I am really failing to see something here.

Here is a picture of the game...

I just ran this same test in ENIGMA and I get the expected results. So what exactly is the issue with the collision functions again and why they don't behavior properly as the result of negative values?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 01:02:04 PM by Goombert » Logged
I think it was Leonardo da Vinci who once said something along the lines of "If you build the robots, they will make games." or something to that effect.

Offline (Unknown gender) Ideka
Reply #1 Posted on: October 23, 2013, 04:44:54 AM

View Profile
The problem is this:
In GM, a value of -4 is false, as are all other values less than 0.5. In ENIGMA, only a value of 0 is false.

If noone evaluates to true in Studio, then they changed it. Its false in GM8 and lower.
Offline (Male) Goombert
Reply #2 Posted on: October 23, 2013, 04:47:31 AM

Developer

View Profile
Ohhhhhhhhh so the problem is that we actually do follow the standard, and apparantly Studio does now as well, so my initial assumptions were correct, thank you Ideka, then I guess we can just keep everything like this since Stupido has finally caught up to the correct behaviour, I need to forward this post tomorrow for Josh to read, thanks  (Y)
I think it was Leonardo da Vinci who once said something along the lines of "If you build the robots, they will make games." or something to that effect.

Offline (Unknown gender) Ideka
Reply #3 Posted on: October 23, 2013, 04:52:14 AM

View Profile
You're welcome.

And actually, I think Josh said he was going to create a new type for this to preserve backwards compatibility.
Offline (Male) Goombert
Reply #4 Posted on: October 23, 2013, 04:55:30 AM

Developer

View Profile
He'll need to make it a setting then, could be just the same as the others in ENIGMA settings...

Inherit boolean scalar: GML ( )   ISO C99 (*)

I'd rather have the ISO standard set as the default, I may actually change a few of his settings there too because I want literals such as ++/-- by default to be ISO C as well because Stupido has those by default too, and we've had them forever I don't want people complaining we don't have it yet or something.

It would basically look like this, keep in mind I am also working on adding in some settings for the other things I have implemented.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 05:10:10 AM by Robert B Colton » Logged

Pages: 1
  Print