Pages: 1
  Print  
Author Topic: DirectSound and XAudio  (Read 881 times)
Offline (Male) Goombert
Posted on: August 06, 2013, 02:27:49 PM

Developer

View Profile
Well I got DirectSound all written up here and working, but I feel like just trashing it. All it provides is those old deprecated sound_effect functions and 3D sounds. But fundies has alerted me to the fact that I actually can compile XAudio 2 with MinGW32 for Windows XP through Windows 8 and even Xbox 360. So I am thinking we just leave this DirectSound stuff deprecated and I trash DSound in favor of XAudio. What do you guys think?

Edit: If it is ok for me to go ahead and deprecate the shit completely, I am going to update LateralGM to remove the effects checkboxes as well.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 02:31:43 PM by Robert B Colton » Logged
I think it was Leonardo da Vinci who once said something along the lines of "If you build the robots, they will make games." or something to that effect.

Offline (Male) Josh @ Dreamland
Reply #1 Posted on: August 06, 2013, 06:57:36 PM

Prince of all Goldfish
Developer

View Profile Email
Do not remove the effect checkboxes from LGM. You can exclude them from your own IDEs, but LGM is meant to be compatible with GMD - GMK. That includes those effect checkboxes.

That said, if you already have a DirectSound system, you might want to keep it for the six people in the history of GM who actually used those effects wisely.
"That is the single most cryptic piece of code I have ever seen." -Master PobbleWobble
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -Evelyn Beatrice Hall, Friends of Voltaire
Offline (Male) Goombert
Reply #2 Posted on: August 06, 2013, 09:58:01 PM

Developer

View Profile
Ok I figured that, ya I already wrote it so we'll just keep it for those few people. However I need a flag passed to sound_add_from_buffer for what type the sound is so I know whether or not to allocate a 3D or regular sound buffer for the 3D cone functions. Also just due to the general shittyness of DSound it won't be able to do audio emitters or any of the new advanced audio functions, just the traditional ones for compatibility.
I think it was Leonardo da Vinci who once said something along the lines of "If you build the robots, they will make games." or something to that effect.

Pages: 1
  Print