I'm so proud of this little community for not hanging on security considerations when looking to the efficiency ones. :3
Good news. Here's the result of parsing this code:
Parse time: 1509 milliseconds
Macros (12684) [+ ]
Variables [+ ]
#define CreateWindow CreateWindowA
#define CreateWindowA(a, b, c, d, e, f, g, h, i, j, k) CreateWindowExA(0,a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h,i,j,k)
CreateWindowExA: Function with 12 parameters, returning HWND__ Dereference path: (params = 786444)*</group>
Since Windows includes everything, and I do mean everything, that anyone could ever need to make a game, there's really no point in assuming the parser needs further work. The parser no longer requires lists of functions and types.
Oh, and, if you noticed the odd parameter count when I asked it to define CWExA, don't worry, it stores that count in a jumbled short. It used to dissect the short and display the actual parameter bounds, but the code that does so got lost in one SVN commit or another.
Since you've all proven to be concerned with efficiency, here are some related tidbits of considerations:
1) The most pressing efficiency loss when treating EDL more like GML than C relates to the switch ()
statement. Those of you who are particularly well-informed with either GM or ENIGMA know that both engines treat a switch like a less-ugly chain of if()s. The complexity is the same; an == check for each label. A consideration, however, is to make a small, close-to-perfect hash function. Basically, this will allow for var
case labels using some template magic. GM People: Stop reading after this next sentence.
I believe this can be done in O(1), maybe with two or three checks a number. Basically, a hash function will be used on the input to each case label, assuming these are constant. (Thanks to the C parser, checking can be done on this when they are not literals [such as 3.14 or "some string"]. How great is that?) Basically, the hash will take the sum of first and last byte of any strings along with its length, do some round() tricks on floats, and leave ints alone (C++ doesn't allow switching anything but int, and doesn't allow case labels of anything but constant int). Now, the thought of course is, what if two strings produce the same hash? That's why one check is done at the case label. You'll see the same idea being employed in hash maps. I owe it to Luda that I was enlightened to it. If anyone has a better idea, of course, by all means...
2) The next most annoying thing is compatibility garbage related to simple functions, like draw_primitive_begin(). From my reckonings, GM uses DirectX's idea of a Vertex Buffer Object. That's not always an option for GL... R3 and lower use glBegin(). This raises a compatibility issue when drawing two at once (this is allowed in GML, but not in GL). The reason I assume GM uses VBO is that it can in fact keep two separate primitives going at once. Long, long ago I decided to deal with the problem by allowing a statically allocated array to be used to hold the points for quick iteration... I made it static because I didn't want the overhead each function call to make sure we hadn't overflown anything and needed more space. However, this meant either an annoying amount of memory overhead, or an equally or more annoying setting to allow the maximum number of points to be set. (I thought 360 would be reasonable for most applications, but...) Anyway, in retrospect, it was an awful idea (good thing it was #if'd out by default). I think the plan should be to try for VBO, but if it doesn't exist, just offer glBegin(), no buffering. (This would break some compatibility for people with Intel cards barely meeting stone-age GL specifications). The good news is, no one who had any decent coding practice would notice the break.
I figured I'd get your opinions on those little things as well. If/when there is a DirectX port, that won't really be a concern (the nice thing is that with DirectX, we can make the same decisions as Yoyo did, good or bad, and no one can complain. Too bad I'm still using GL).
I'd throw in a third thing, but that's probably enough to swallow for one post. Those who would like to put their two cents in on security issues can do so in the previous thread. I guess we'll just keep doing this until I have a public opinion on the decisions that haunted me in early development stages (I want to get it all right this time. Or at least most of it).
While you people decide that, I'll be replacing lists of types and functions in the GML formatter with the new lookup calls. (Also, I think I need to make sure "using namespace" works in the global scope.