Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Rejoice  (Read 5915 times)
Offline (Unknown gender) Micah
Reply #30 Posted on: February 23, 2010, 11:50:11 PM

Resident Troll

View Profile
The correct spelling was added in some version, but the misspelled version was kept for backwards compatibility.
Offline (Male) Josh @ Dreamland
Reply #31 Posted on: February 24, 2010, 06:58:36 AM

Prince of all Goldfish
Developer

View Profile Email
Boy, I can't wait to add that.
"That is the single most cryptic piece of code I have ever seen." -Master PobbleWobble
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -Evelyn Beatrice Hall, Friends of Voltaire
Offline (Male) Rusky
Reply #32 Posted on: February 26, 2010, 11:14:41 AM

Resident Troll
MSN Messenger - rpjohnst@gmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
Umm. How do you plan to turn error checking on or off at runtime without an if? You could use indirection and have two version of every function, I guess. O_o
Reply #33 Posted on: February 26, 2010, 01:12:24 PM

Prince of all Goldfish
Developer

View Profile Email
...Nothing error related functions can do to stop or resume errors can ever make the code more efficient. Easy way is to use if's, copying code logically doubles size and makes inlining impossible.
"That is the single most cryptic piece of code I have ever seen." -Master PobbleWobble
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -Evelyn Beatrice Hall, Friends of Voltaire
Offline (Unknown gender) luiscubal
Reply #34 Posted on: February 26, 2010, 04:52:23 PM

View Profile Email
You could use an #if instead of regular ifs. I'm pretty sure that doesn't affect inlining.

the misspelled version was kept for backwards compatibility.
Unfortunately, it's a sad reality software development must face. These bugs are so trivial to find and fix, yet their consequences are so harsh that we must think twice before doing so and, in some cases, they are actually kept.
Reply #35 Posted on: February 26, 2010, 07:16:50 PM

Prince of all Goldfish
Developer

View Profile Email
#if is how I was going to do it. But that's compile time, so it means we can't have such a function anyway.
Offline (Female) serprex
Reply #36 Posted on: March 02, 2010, 05:37:28 AM
Smooth ER
Developer

View Profile WWW
Blame Josh and the tendency to spell in the manner recently read. I can't find a case past where I made such an err, and I wrote it as draw_mandelbrot in the source

Also, on the topic of standardized typos, obligatory HTTP REFERER
Offline (Female) IsmAvatar
Reply #37 Posted on: March 02, 2010, 05:17:07 PM

LateralGM Developer
LGM Developer

View Profile Email
Blame Josh and the tendency to spell in the manner recently read. I can't find a case past where I made such an err, and I wrote it as draw_mandelbrot in the source
Not quite a spelling error, but more grammar: "err" is a verb. "error" is the noun form.
Reply #38 Posted on: March 02, 2010, 10:44:54 PM

Prince of all Goldfish
Developer

View Profile Email
Serp shortcuts. Makes a great optimizer.
Offline (Female) serprex
Reply #39 Posted on: March 07, 2010, 08:04:55 AM
Smooth ER
Developer

View Profile WWW
One of the qualities I enjoy of English is how easily verbs and nouns can be interchanged. It's something that doesn't work well in French
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print