Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: R3 isn't dead  (Read 2728 times)
Offline (Female) serprex
Posted on: December 10, 2009, 04:27:06 PM
Smooth ER
Developer

View Profile WWW
http://github.com/serprex/Enigma-R3

You all might have forgotten, as Josh is most certainly 1984's Big Brother, but there was a time when Enigma didn't intend to parse C++. Perhaps you forgot that cpp{} was a half ass feature which meant don't parse. We all should know that Josh doesn't solve problems with half known solutions. Josh solves invented problems. I'd like to continue on, and say this is how Enigma started; that Josh really just invented GM being a problem. But if I said that you'd all eat me

I digress. The point is that R4 is not only the next version of Enigma, but the next version of Enigma's philosophy

From discussions over the past couple of days, and from what I can see when I got myself a fresh copy of R3, conclusions seem to be that Josh is developing R4 and leaving R3 to rot. As such, I think it may be better to see the R3 git repository as the development branch of R3 and Josh's subversion repository as the development branch of R4

So we have an 3/4 divide. If such a coexistence is to be, the philosophies must complement each other. R4 and beyond are Josh's ambitious toying. R3 has the sole goal of efficiently emulating GM, and no more. Extensions such as cpp{} and anything else that would be an error if written in GML are open to addition if they are proven reasonable, but these are happenences

I hate writing conclusions in essays, and the same holds for posts
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 07:11:17 AM by serprex » Logged
Offline (Unknown gender) luiscubal
Reply #1 Posted on: December 10, 2009, 04:34:06 PM

View Profile Email
Oh, a fork.
You could have said so right from the beginning. It took me a while to get it.

Is this really necessary? What advantages will R3 have over R4, considering it is older and - I'd presume - "obsolete"...?
Offline (Female) serprex
Reply #2 Posted on: December 10, 2009, 04:44:02 PM
Smooth ER
Developer

View Profile WWW
R4 goes beyond emulating GM. The subversion version of R3 seems rather out of date, as seen by lacking simple fixes like the renaming of the Syntax directory to syntax so to allow compiles on Linux. This fork aims to focus on emulating GM, rather than aspire towards problems which aren't related to emulating GM
Offline (Male) Josh @ Dreamland
Reply #3 Posted on: December 10, 2009, 07:29:20 PM

Prince of all Goldfish
Developer

View Profile Email
*shrug*

That was a bit graphic a depiction. But yes, most of R3 is antiquated. That doesn't mean I'm going back on the idea of full GM support, of course, I just can't have ENIGMA be as pathetic as GM.
"That is the single most cryptic piece of code I have ever seen." -Master PobbleWobble
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -Evelyn Beatrice Hall, Friends of Voltaire
Offline (Unknown gender) TheExDeus
Reply #4 Posted on: December 11, 2009, 08:37:59 AM

Developer

View Profile
I thought at the beginning the idea was to make enigma able to run any GM game. Like opening any project file I have now in engima and just compile to c++ and it should work without additional changes. Is the idea the same now? Because, yeah, the idea of improving on GM is good (and allowing to parse c++ is even better), but will this break GM type syntax?
Reply #5 Posted on: December 11, 2009, 03:52:15 PM

Prince of all Goldfish
Developer

View Profile Email
None of my new syntax adaptations will prevent GML from working. In fact, some of R4's changes bring it closer to working like GM, such as var::operator bool(). Serp and I were just discussing a discrepancy where if (.5) is evaluated as true in GM. I'd known this since the start, of course, but only now do I have a method of doing that (Overloading bool before would have conflicted with std::string).

So, yes, the objective is still to allow backwards compatibility with GM.
"That is the single most cryptic piece of code I have ever seen." -Master PobbleWobble
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -Evelyn Beatrice Hall, Friends of Voltaire
Offline (Male) RetroX
Reply #6 Posted on: December 11, 2009, 04:16:37 PM

Master of all things Linux
Contributor
MSN Messenger - classixretrox@gmail.com
View Profile Email
Does this mean that R3 will continue to be developed as well as R4?
My Box: Phenom II 3.4GHz X4 | ASUS ATI RadeonHD 5770, 1GB GDDR5 RAM | 1x4GB DDR3 SRAM | Arch Linux, x86_64 (Cube) / Windows 7 x64 (Blob)
Quote from: Fede-lasse
Why do all the pro-Microsoft people have troll avatars? :(
Post made December 11, 2009, 05:02:34 PM was deleted at the author's request.
Reply #8 Posted on: December 12, 2009, 03:23:30 PM

Prince of all Goldfish
Developer

View Profile Email
Syntax check button.

Also, R4 will offer much more stable support, as well as new things like DND. It'll be a firmly laid foundation for everything to come. And I've gotten so much better with C++ since the start of this project, believe me, there'll be a lot of that.

I'm sick of showing off my favorite new features at this point, so I'll wait until release day to bring them up again.
Offline (Female) serprex
Reply #9 Posted on: December 12, 2009, 07:50:16 PM
Smooth ER
Developer

View Profile WWW
Retro: Yes. Patches to R3 should be applied to R3. Plans are to keep R4 and R3 using the same ENIGMAsystem, so improvement of ENIGMAsystem should be done through R3 where it can be tested
Reply #10 Posted on: December 12, 2009, 07:59:48 PM

Prince of all Goldfish
Developer

View Profile Email
Of course, once the new compiler's done, R3 will be entirely obsolete.
Offline (Female) serprex
Reply #11 Posted on: December 13, 2009, 07:31:55 AM
Smooth ER
Developer

View Profile WWW
I broke windows compat, but that can be fixed now that Linux works. I'll prove it like Josh with a screenshot. Though not in his fat fashion, instead in my usual fashion

That's what I mean by R3 being outdated. Josh hasn't updated it, even after he got it working with Linux. So the download pages should change to having the current Cross Platform link be "Windows Source" and a new Cross Platform link to the git repo
Offline (Unknown gender) Game_boy
Reply #12 Posted on: December 13, 2009, 03:22:32 PM

View Profile
What will be the long-term difference between the two? If Josh's branch is a superset of yours then there won't be a reason to stay there.

If this is a temporary effort to get something useful out there while Josh gets the R4 branch completely perfect, then that's good.
Reply #13 Posted on: December 13, 2009, 04:36:26 PM

Prince of all Goldfish
Developer

View Profile Email
That's what it is. Serp has R4's system compiling with R3's parsers. This means he can optimize it and you can use it while I work on the new compiler.
Also means if I get sick of writing compiler I can go back to writing some functions and things (Like those changes I've been wanting to make to var).
Pages: [1]
  Print