Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.


Messages - Josh @ Dreamland

2251
Announcements / Re: Another quickie
« on: March 26, 2010, 09:45:35 AM »
> backspace
Functions like the "Back" button in Vista. Didn't try since.

>"Oh, that's new! ... Wait, that was in 03?"
It's been the opposite for me. I was very used to the old layout.

2252
Off-Topic / Re: ACTA
« on: March 26, 2010, 08:24:47 AM »
I hope that Obama keeps that stance on internet privacy he told everyone he had during elections.

2253
Announcements / Re: Summary
« on: March 26, 2010, 08:01:09 AM »
> so what does this mean in terms of R4 release date?
Every time I set a release date, something goes wrong and I end up needing more time.

> Why do you need 2 different cc and cci variables?
One tells me how many objects I'm drawing. The other recycles the array to prevent reallocation.

2254
Announcements / Re: Summary
« on: March 25, 2010, 11:04:37 PM »
Grazie. I was pretty pleased Vista didn't bite me. And neither did my odd texture-binding checks; there was no speed difference with or without them.

2255
Announcements / Re: Summary
« on: March 25, 2010, 11:00:32 PM »
Good, that liveCD was 64Bit. >_<
And yes, it does. Ism gave me some structures I needed, and I'll be returning one to her tomorrow.

2256
Announcements / Re: Summary
« on: March 25, 2010, 10:57:16 PM »
FACK.

My Linux box is presently sleeping off a headache. Ehhh... I'd tell you to download serp's GIT repo, but I don't have the link and wouldn't wish it on anyone. *shrug*

WINE should be kind to ENIGMA... It doesn't use very much...

*Fumbles a liveCD into nearby computer*

2257
Announcements / Re: Summary
« on: March 25, 2010, 10:26:00 PM »
Also, for your consideration, what happens if you don't use var for fucking everything (I revised to use int and double):


I'd up the room speed, but I know that if my framerate limiter doesn't get it, the vsync will. So...



*Realizes he's being a dumbass*
*uploads executables*
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1052740/GMflames.zip (Over 9000 sets of at least 100 bytes; estimated forever on dial-up)
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1052740/SHELL.zip (Three versions included; 300 KB)

Broken old version:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1052740/ENIGMAflames.zip (at least a hundred kilobytes, but barely. Like, 30 seconds on dial-up.)

So yes, do feel free to run those. And if for some reason the ENIGMA one doesn't work, errors, segfaults, or by some miracle runs more slowly than Game Maker's, do let me know.



And in conclusion, no, tr0ll, this really never does get old.

2258
Announcements / Summary
« on: March 25, 2010, 10:11:28 PM »
Perfect summary of the project today as I tested serp's optimization fix (which was quite full of linker errors):

Game Maker

Can't do anything fast.

ENIGMA

Can't do anything right.


So.

...Fix'd


Today's lessons: Always remember to use unsigned chars when the situation calls for them, and don't be afraid to use an equation that makes sense when calculating framerate. Even when Linux won't let you use clock().
...I'll probably end up externalizing a function that uses clock() on Windows and gettimeofday() on Linux.


Technical blah:
They're actually geometric curves and trig: GM's nightmare, really. I used 20 lines each curve.

Draw
Code: [Select]
draw_set_color(merge_color(c_red,c_yellow,.3));
draw_set_blend_mode(bm_add);

for (i=0; i<cc; i+=1) {
 draw_set_alpha(min(.1,alpha[i]));
 for (ii=0; ii<ic; ii+=1) {
    draw_line(xo[i]+lengthdir_x(ii,ang[i]),yo[i]+lengthdir_y(ii,ang[i]),xo[i]+lengthdir_x(ic-ii,ang[i]+90),yo[i]+lengthdir_y(ic-ii,ang[i]+90));
  }
  yo[i] -= vs[i];
  ang[i] += rot[i];
  alpha[i] -= .001;
  if (alpha[i] < 0)
  cci = i;
}
room_caption = "Number of particles: " + string(cc) + "  FPS: " + string(fps) + "  ... Sad, really.";

Step
Code: [Select]
repeat (2)
{
  xo[cci] = mouse_x - 16 + random(32);
  yo[cci] = mouse_y - 16 + random(32);
  ang[cci] = random(90);
  alpha[cci] = .12;
  rot[cci] = random(10) - 5;
  vs[cci] = .5 + random(2);
  cci += 1;
  if (cci > cc)
    cc = cci;
}

Create
Code: [Select]
cc = 20;
cci = cc;
ic = 20;

for (i=0; i<cc; i+=1)
{
  xo[i] = mouse_x - 16 + random(32);
  yo[i] = mouse_y - 16 + random(32);
  ang[i] = random(90);
  alpha[i] = .12;
  rot[i] = random(10) - 5;
  vs[i] = .5 + random(1);
}


LGM can't actually pass that to ENIGMA yet, so I copy-pasted the code manually. Crude but effective.
The difference between ENIGMA's and GM's was (in addition to the caption) the repeat() value, which was 8 in ENIGMA.

I allocated like, 60 values more than I seemed to ever need, but you never know.

Anyway, thanks much to serp, who is the reason the game is like 288 KB. As opposed to like 420, which it has been before. He's probably also the reason it runs smoothly, and is certainly the problem I ran into five linker errors copy-pasting code. <3

2259
Announcements / Re: Another quickie
« on: March 25, 2010, 09:39:11 PM »
> Just one thing, I miss the button to go to the parent directory!
I kinda miss that too. But since they at least mimicked GNOME's beautiful button-based address bar, I won't complain about that.

> First of all, I'm quite sure that you can disable that functionality in Windows 7.
I'd hope so. Fortunately, it's my mother's computer, so I don't have to worry about that.

> Second of all, what you claim is an "ambiguity" is actually not ambiguous at all. Mac's windowing system...
Yes, yes. But on XP and Vista, I knew what I was getting intuitively when I clicked a button. On Mac and 7, I'm still not sure what I'll get when I click things. I despise having to go to File->New Window in things, though it is nice that Mac does simulate an MDI and bring -all- the Windows to front when you click the icon, instead of making you select one like 7. Also, alt-tab has been pain-in-the-assified on 7.

> So it doesn't inherit ambiguity. It inherited a feature from Mac that was part of a coherent whole and shoved it onto a different paradigm, introducing that ambiguity. (Kind of like what you do when you try to combine GM and C++.)

:troll:

> I can't quite understand what you're saying with the extremely poorly written ... I would say that the ribbon interface makes things more consistent and easy to find than the old drop-down menu + toolbars paradigm, and trying to switch back to it is a silly idea.
You just didn't stare at it long enough. Furthermore, if they actually had enough software that I was still forced to use in that shitty selection of theirs, it would seem more fitting for them all to have ribbons. My first thought when I saw Paint was that they were finally catching other programs up with Word. Problem is, 95% of the programs I use stick with the "File | Edit..." style menus. Not to mention that catching others up with Word isn't necessarily a good thing; Word often makes it fuck-impossible to find anything; I never had that problem before. At least Paint doesn't have enough features to really get lost in it. One nice thing about the ribbons was being easily extended as you work, so it doesn't have to show all that shit at once. Of course, try finding that shit if you need it when the program doesn't know you do...


2260
Announcements / Re: Another quickie
« on: March 25, 2010, 05:12:52 AM »
I don't hate them for taking the idea, I hate them for taking the idea badly.

I don't see how it's different; I've used both operating systems. Windows' is slightly more functional than Mac's, but it inherits everything I don't like about the dock, namely ambiguity: Did I mean to open the current FireFox, or launch a new instance?

Also, after extended use, I find the half-ass-stolen feature to maximize your window when dragged to a certain location on the screen REALLY annoying. GNOME's was nice because it allowed you to drag a maximized window out of the way, and only re-maximized it if you dragged it back before letting go. Now every time I need to look at a lower window, I have to be careful not to drag it to the top. It's an easy habit to get into, really, it's just that they're supposed to be catering to veterans as well.

Oh, and did I mention that as I said a few years ago (and was duly flamed by someone, probably Rusky), they have finally done away with "File | Edit | View | History" in all their programs. This is funny because I was reading about the same time I started bitching this HUGE writeup on how consistency is what makes Windows so friendly, and they devoted large chunks of that document to the very menu they have now hidden. That menu was the only reason I could put up with programs, and now I need alt- to get to it. <_<

2261
Function Peer Review / Re: Brainstorming
« on: March 24, 2010, 08:00:57 AM »
It's a single script that you can use to implement some C++ functions for use throughout the game. You can define your own global variables, your own structures, your own types, your own functions... Whatever you could need, really. Just like with any other library in ENIGMA.

2262
Announcements / Re: Another quickie
« on: March 24, 2010, 07:27:38 AM »
Eh, XP never lost everything from a save form except the size. I can go to save things sometimes and get an empty window border. Have to restart to fix it sometimes, too. That's Vista.

Win7 I hate almost as bad. They fixed the window issues, and they even stole some really nice ideas from Linux. They also stole Mac's dock, which I HATE. Talk about unnavigable. And to make things worse, they have 10x the number of ../ loops as XP. If you click "My Documents," you're taken to a libraries folder that includes "My Documents." It's almost impossible to get to "~/Downloads" because it's not on the start menu, it can't be added to the start menu sidebar where it should have been from square one, and trying to move to ../ from their linked "My Documents" will loop "Libraries/Documents" "Libraries" "Libraries/Documents" "Libraries," just like when "My Documents/.." led to "Desktop" on XP.

I hate their new operating systems so much. Frankly, I kind of like Vista better than 7.

2263
Announcements / Re: Another quickie
« on: March 23, 2010, 09:31:51 PM »
Code::Blocks warns Vista users to install their own copy of MinGW because the one that comes with the release breaks on Vista at times.

2264
Function Peer Review / Re: Brainstorming
« on: March 23, 2010, 09:30:50 PM »
Half-ass name for a C++ script resource.
Cuz I stick it between C++ whitespace, besically.

2265
Function Peer Review / Re: Collisions
« on: March 23, 2010, 07:53:31 PM »
Your assumptions are for the most part correct. I have not yet implemented a type for instances. I'm thinking it'll be of form typedef something instance_t, but have not yet decided.

Also, doesn't support rotation and scaling, yes? The math for that is out of my league due to current sleep levels. Perhaps I'll add it tomorrow...