Pages: 1
  Print  
Author Topic: ENIGMA on Ubuntu 13.10  (Read 1143 times)
Offline (Male) Reiddsan
Posted on: April 18, 2014, 11:27:50 AM

View Profile WWW Email
Hi all, this is my first post here.

I followed this topic's advice to install ENIGMA on my machine (I need to keep developing in Game Maker but I also want to switch to Ubuntu as an operating system)

I followed this code:

Fire up a terminal and run in order:
Code: [Select]
$ sudo apt-get install g++ git python zlib1g-dev libglu1-mesa-dev libalure-dev libvorbisfile3 libvorbis-dev libdumb1-dev
$ git clone git://github.com/enigma-dev/enigma-dev.git
$ cd enigma-dev
$ python install.py
$ java -jar lgm16b4.jar

And that will probably work. Probably.

and I get the following error after typing "java -jar lgm16b4.jar:
Code: [Select]
Error: Unable to access jarfile lgm16b4.jar
is there a reason for this?

I just thought that the particular build might not be available (it's an old topic), but then, what's the name of the new one?

I'm still fairly new at Ubuntu & Enigma, and not really too sure what's going on yet.
Offline (Male) Goombert
Reply #1 Posted on: April 18, 2014, 01:09:56 PM

Developer

View Profile
Try java -jar lateralgm.jar we renamed it so that it won't change every time we release a new version. Sorry about that.
I think it was Leonardo da Vinci who once said something along the lines of "If you build the robots, they will make games." or something to that effect.

Offline (Male) Reiddsan
Reply #2 Posted on: April 19, 2014, 12:25:00 AM

View Profile WWW Email
ok. is there another way of running this now that i've installed it that doesn't revolve around the terminal?

and thank you by the way, that worked!
Offline (Male) Goombert
Reply #3 Posted on: April 19, 2014, 12:37:05 AM

Developer

View Profile
No problem. And no there currently is not we have never devised such a way, basically because, Linux does not know what executables are. We have considered making a package manager to install from the Ubuntu Software Center however.
I think it was Leonardo da Vinci who once said something along the lines of "If you build the robots, they will make games." or something to that effect.

Offline (Male) Reiddsan
Reply #4 Posted on: April 19, 2014, 01:24:45 AM

View Profile WWW Email
gotcha. to run enigma, what would i have to input into the terminal?
Offline (Male) Goombert
Reply #5 Posted on: April 19, 2014, 08:40:49 AM

Developer

View Profile
You simply want to do java -jar lateralgm.jar every single time. Making sure you have cd'd there first of course.

Offline (Male) Josh @ Dreamland
Reply #6 Posted on: April 19, 2014, 11:27:28 AM

Prince of all Goldfish
Developer

View Profile Email
The trick is to create a command to actually run ENIGMA.

For example, consider putting this in /usr/bin/enigma (sudo nano /usr/bin/enigma; sudo chmod +Xx /usr/bin/enigma):
Code: (Bash) [Select]
#!/bin/bash
cd ~/Projects/ENIGMA
java -jar lateralgm.jar $@

You can put any additional Java memory flags there, as well.

Now, to create a desktop shortcut, nano ~/Desktop/enigma.desktop; chmod +Xx ~/Desktop/enigma.desktop. Into nano, paste something like this:
Code: (INI) [Select]
[Desktop Entry]
Name=LateralGM/ENIGMA
Comment=Launch LateralGM with the ENIGMA plugin.
Exec=enigma %f
Icon=/home/josh/Projects/ENIGMA/Resources/logo.png
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=Programming;Development;IDE
You will need to change the location of the ENIGMA icon. If you copy ENIGMA's icon into your system icon folder as, eg, enigma.svg, you can simply use "enigma" as the icon name, as well. Otherwise, change Icon=/home/josh/Projects/ENIGMA so that it points to your ENIGMA directory.

You will then be able to drag files into that icon to open them. Depending on your desktop environment, there should be a place you can copy that launcher to be able to assign .egm files to open with ENIGMA.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 11:29:07 AM by Josh @ Dreamland » Logged
"That is the single most cryptic piece of code I have ever seen." -Master PobbleWobble
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -Evelyn Beatrice Hall, Friends of Voltaire
Pages: 1
  Print