ENIGMA Development Environment
Website is in read-only mode due to a recent attack.

Pages: 1
  Print  
Author Topic: Abstract Object Types  (Read 1199 times)
Offline (Male) Goombert
Posted on: April 19, 2013, 05:06:48 AM

Developer

View Profile
After an argument the other day with Josh that ENIGMA should be able to support both the 2D and 3D physics systems being used simultaneously and him discouraging any sort of abstraction to the built in objects, this time he has lost the argument.

As you can see there Josh, "Uses Physics", therefore we better get started.  :(
I think it was Leonardo da Vinci who once said something along the lines of "If you build the robots, they will make games." or something to that effect.

Offline (Male) Josh @ Dreamland
Reply #1 Posted on: April 19, 2013, 08:31:33 AM

Prince of all Goldfish
Developer

View Profile Email
Get started what? I like the "uses physics" idea. It lets physics systems (such as Box2D) know whether or not to generate bodies for each instance.
"That is the single most cryptic piece of code I have ever seen." -Master PobbleWobble
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -Evelyn Beatrice Hall, Friends of Voltaire
Offline (Male) Goombert
Reply #2 Posted on: April 19, 2013, 09:04:01 AM

Developer

View Profile
The button keeps the object from inheriting the built in phy_* constants and stuff, a physics body still needs generated through code. In Studio the two collision systems work together in conjunction.
I think it was Leonardo da Vinci who once said something along the lines of "If you build the robots, they will make games." or something to that effect.

Reply #3 Posted on: April 19, 2013, 09:19:02 AM

Prince of all Goldfish
Developer

View Profile Email
The mechanism you're describing would bog everything down. I've designed the extension system to ameliorate that effect, but it's presently out of commission due to virtual cast issues. When the new compiler is in, those should be fixed, and you will be able to use the extension system for that. Though, it will need extended; right now, it is an all-or-nothing system. There's no mechanism to allow objects to specify which extensions they use, but I must say, I like the idea of allowing for one, and I could implement a much better system in ENIGMA than std::bad_cast.
"That is the single most cryptic piece of code I have ever seen." -Master PobbleWobble
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -Evelyn Beatrice Hall, Friends of Voltaire
Offline (Unknown gender) TheExDeus
Reply #4 Posted on: April 19, 2013, 03:18:30 PM

Developer

View Profile
I don't see you Josh implementing anything anytime soon. Unless you plan to graduate (or give slightly less of a fuck about school). I have plenty of free time with my uni masters degree, but I have just taken up a lot of other stuff.
Reply #5 Posted on: April 19, 2013, 05:19:57 PM

Prince of all Goldfish
Developer

View Profile Email
I do plan to graduate shortly, but not this semester. I might be able to graduate by summer's end. But all my hard courses are officially out of the way, now. So, I will likely indeed be giving less of a fuck about school.
Pages: 1
  Print