Pages: 1 2 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Makefile is fucked  (Read 5649 times)
Offline (Male) ugriffin
Posted on: October 28, 2011, 05:10:45 PM

View Profile WWW Email
Checked out the latest source and tried to build ENIGMA. Make didn't even try, it just crapped out.

Just a heads up. I'm running my old MacBook with OS X 10.6.8. I do have make and every 'standard' UNIX tool, I develop apps in XCode from time to time.

Code: [Select]
Last login: Fri Oct 28 16:50:38 on ttys000
Uriel-Griffins-MacBook:~ ugriffin$ cd /Users/ugriffin/Documents/Apple\ Dev/enigma-dev\ \(trunk\)
Uriel-Griffins-MacBook:enigma-dev (trunk) ugriffin$ make
make -j -C CompilerSource
find: illegal option -- n
find: illegal option -- a
find: illegal option -- m
find: illegal option -- e
find: *.cpp: No such file or directory
g++ -shared -o ../libcompileEGMf.dylib 
i686-apple-darwin10-g++-4.2.1: no input files
make[1]: *** [../libcompileEGMf.dylib] Error 1
make: *** [ENIGMA] Error 2
Uriel-Griffins-MacBook:enigma-dev (trunk) ugriffin$
Offline (Male) Josh @ Dreamland
Reply #1 Posted on: October 28, 2011, 06:20:45 PM

Prince of all Goldfish
Developer

View Profile Email
So apparently, Rusky's makefile doesn't agree with Mac. I'm not sure what to try; I'd need access to a Mac to try to get them working.
"That is the single most cryptic piece of code I have ever seen." -Master PobbleWobble
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -Evelyn Beatrice Hall, Friends of Voltaire
Offline (Male) Rusky
Reply #2 Posted on: October 28, 2011, 07:04:38 PM

Resident Troll
MSN Messenger - rpjohnst@gmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
Mac's find sucks and doesn't default to searching in the current directory, so I've updated the Makefiles to supply it. You'll need to use r936 to get the fix.

Also, LGM should build the plugin on its own, is there a reason you're running make yourself?
Offline (Male) ugriffin
Reply #3 Posted on: October 29, 2011, 06:57:07 AM

View Profile WWW Email
There is. Apple does its own JavaVM, separate from Sun's beast. LGM never has been able to build on OS X, never will.

Apple is in a hurry to ditch Java anyways, I daresay it's about time to port LGM to some portable compiled language.
Offline (Unknown gender) daz
Reply #4 Posted on: October 29, 2011, 11:46:55 AM
Contributor

View Profile
There is. Apple does its own JavaVM, separate from Sun's beast. LGM never has been able to build on OS X, never will.

Apple is in a hurry to ditch Java anyways, I daresay it's about time to port LGM to some portable compiled language.
I vote FPC/Lazarus (although Ism said she had looked into these earlier and it was still too underdeveloped to her liking); it's what GM Mac is made in anyway. Otherwise maybe Qt or wxWidgets
Offline (Male) Rusky
Reply #5 Posted on: October 29, 2011, 11:55:55 AM

Resident Troll
View Profile WWW Email
I'm curious as to why Apple's JVM can't run make- is it the plugin's fault for using the API in a way that doesn't work on OS X, or does the API simply not exist?

Apple is in a hurry to ditch their custom JVM build. Oracle, however, will still provide a JVM for OS X (OpenJDK, thus supporting all the way up to Java 7): http://blogs.oracle.com/henrik/entry/oracle_and_apple_announce_openjdk_project_for_osx

I wouldn't mind an IDE in something other than Java, except the only other options appear to be C++ or C#, neither of which are very appealing. C++ is not the best thing to write an IDE in, especially trying to use a cross-platform widget library (maybe Qt would be slightly less painful than Java?), and C# has essentially the same problems as Java.
Offline (Unknown gender) luiscubal
Reply #6 Posted on: October 29, 2011, 11:59:11 AM

View Profile Email
Just to add it to the conversation, the mono(C#) guys recommend heavy separation of backend and frontend and then have a separated frontend per platform. This gives optimal integration, but also means more work.
I haven't done much Qt development myself, but at least on Linux it seems pretty decent.
Other than that, wxWidgets was fine a few years ago too. Not sure how it is today(however, they've been thinking/working on wxWidgets 3.0 for at least 4 years now and still no release, which sounds pretty bad to me).
Not sure how Lazarus compares. I was never a Pascal guy.
Offline (Male) Rusky
Reply #7 Posted on: October 29, 2011, 12:28:55 PM

Resident Troll
View Profile WWW Email
Update on Runtime.exec(): http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/Java/Conceptual/Java14Development/05-CoreJavaAPIs/CoreJavaAPIs.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40001902-SW5

Looks like it doesn't have the specific form LGM uses to launch make. Should be a simple fix, unless I'm missing something- what error do you get, ugriffin?
Offline (Male) ugriffin
Reply #8 Posted on: November 06, 2011, 07:39:13 PM

View Profile WWW Email
I'd have to run LGM under the terminal. However, it's a bit pointless, since typing 'make' is simpler than running LGM... it's just a cd then make.

The real way to solve this is to write a new LGM in Cocoa. Something for the Mac. I'm already onto it, albeit as a little side project to improve my Obj-C skills.

YoYo Games made this stupidly easy to do... the GMX format is just xml files, so a Cocoa 'Maker' can easily be done.
Offline (Male) Rusky
Reply #9 Posted on: November 07, 2011, 12:13:07 PM

Resident Troll
View Profile WWW Email
...running LGM from the terminal once is harder than running make every time there's an update until you've duplicated all of LGM's features? Really?

The problem with rewriting LGM is not parsing GMX files. It's implementing editors for all the resources in an extensible way so that ENIGMA, as a plugin, can provide new ones. Oh and it has to be cross-platform, because nobody's going to maintain three separate versions of all that.

Thus, I must say that the real way to solve this is to fix this one bug in LGM's ENIGMA plugin.

If Swing is really a problem for you, I would suggest nudging LGM toward a new widget toolkit like SWT which is just a layer on top of Cocoa.
Offline (Male) ugriffin
Reply #10 Posted on: November 07, 2011, 02:39:39 PM

View Profile WWW Email
Ism already knows about the problem, I mentioned it to her a few months ago and she tracked down whatever problem Apple's JVM had.

As for the Cocoa 'Maker', as mentioned, it's a side project of mine. Once I finish it you guys can have the source and mod it to your heart's content.
Offline (Female) IsmAvatar
Reply #11 Posted on: November 07, 2011, 11:56:07 PM

LateralGM Developer
LGM Developer

View Profile Email
I don't recall ever tracking down a problem with Apple's JVM. And if I didn't fix it, why do I not see a bug opened for it somewhere?
Offline (Male) ugriffin
Reply #12 Posted on: November 08, 2011, 12:02:53 AM

View Profile WWW Email
We discussed it over IRC, remember?  :eng101:
Offline (Male) Josh @ Dreamland
Reply #13 Posted on: November 08, 2011, 08:59:47 PM

Prince of all Goldfish
Developer

View Profile Email
Ism's bug memory is roughly zero.
"That is the single most cryptic piece of code I have ever seen." -Master PobbleWobble
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -Evelyn Beatrice Hall, Friends of Voltaire
Offline (Female) IsmAvatar
Reply #14 Posted on: November 09, 2011, 12:41:35 AM

LateralGM Developer
LGM Developer

View Profile Email
^

IRC != opened bug. IRC = quick fix or go open a bug.
If I didn't fix it, it obviously wasn't a quick fix.
Pages: 1 2 »
  Print