ENIGMA Development Environment
Website is in read-only mode due to a recent attack.

Pages: 1
  Print  
Author Topic: Making games in Full HD resolution 16:9 possible ?  (Read 3234 times)
Offline (Unknown gender) Darkstar2
Posted on: February 09, 2014, 09:01:15 PM

View Profile Email
I noticed int he game settings under resolution you have 320x240, 640x480, etc.....up to 1600x1200, but where is 1920x1080 ?  Is there a function to manually change resolution with custom settings but before doing so probing the graphic card / driver to see if the resolution is supported, if true, change resolution or false, don't allow it ? This way one could make a menu inside a game to allow a player to customize it, much like commercial games ?  More so, is it possible to make games that are Full HD 16:9 (meaning allowing program to access those resolutions), as I'm sure many people use LCD monitors now, so I can't imagine using those lower resolutions they probably would not look nice downsampled .  320x240 displayed on a 1080 native resolution is not really nice.

I would like to build a menu in my game allowing the player to decide what they want, and quality sttings.  I can handle the rest, but how would I go about polling the hardware for specific resolutions whether they are compatible to current display used by the player ?

Offline (Male) Goombert
Reply #1 Posted on: February 09, 2014, 09:11:49 PM

Developer

View Profile
I believe the function you are looking for is display_set_size
http://enigma-dev.org/docs/Wiki/Display_set_size

Other display and window functions are here.
http://enigma-dev.org/docs/Wiki/Display_and_Window_Functions

display_test_all is the one that can test if the resolution is supported before setting it, I am not sure if this one is implemented however.
http://enigma-dev.org/docs/Wiki/Display_test_all

You could counter that by making the resolution reset after 15 seconds if the user does not hit an ok button or something similar. Hope I helped  (Y)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 09:13:42 PM by Robert B Colton » Logged
I think it was Leonardo da Vinci who once said something along the lines of "If you build the robots, they will make games." or something to that effect.

Reply #2 Posted on: February 09, 2014, 09:36:07 PM

View Profile Email
ohhhh I missed that one thanks a lot !

Now what happens if my game is made entirely in 1920x1080 16:9, but a user selects a display that is 4:3 or does not support my native game resolution, what will the results be ? dose ENIGMA handle this well ? as well as the drawGUI events and all ?

Strange I never saw this function before (testing resolutions), since when was this added in GM ?  I usually read all the updates as they are released by them.
Offline (Male) Goombert
Reply #3 Posted on: February 10, 2014, 07:59:39 AM

Developer

View Profile
That function has always been in GM since like Direct3D was added, however the function is deprecated along with all the others in Studio. Now, that said, that function only sets the display resolution, so you will also need to size up your view to match the display resolution. Game Maker has always been quite a bit a pain in the ass in this department, just Google about setting the resolution for GM, anything that applies to GM applies to ENIGMA.

https://www.google.com/#q=game+maker+resolution
I think it was Leonardo da Vinci who once said something along the lines of "If you build the robots, they will make games." or something to that effect.

Offline (Unknown gender) TheExDeus
Reply #4 Posted on: February 10, 2014, 09:13:02 AM

Developer

View Profile
1. Views need to have the same aspect ratio as the resolution. So if you change 16:9 to 4:3, then resize the view to have the same aspect ratio. This will mean that it won't be squished or otherwise distorted.
2. If you want to have the same amount of content on the screen, then you need to change only the port on screen and not the view size. Otherwise 320x240 will have 27 times smaller view than 1920x1080. This would mean that the whole thing is zoomed in and the player with larger resolution would have an advantage. In most games (especially 3D) this is not the case. In games like League of Legends or Starcraft2 you will see the same thing no matter the resolution. In 2D games it's usually better for players to see more in larger resolutions so the sprites aren't looking stretched (it's basically because 3D zooms well, while 2D doesn't).
3. HUD's usually do scale though. In the previously mentioned games hud is usually smaller if you have a larger resolution, although the size is usually customizable (and you should give the possibility to do so as well). So all HUD objects need to be positioned using the view size (like view_wview[0]-100 so it will always be at the right no matter the view size) and scaled appropriately. This will have to be done using custom code as Draw GUI event only disregards view position and scale, not size. I think the main reason while HUD's get smaller with increasing resolution is the same reason I mentioned in 2. point - Sprites don't zoom well.

On Windows display_test_all() should work in ENIGMA.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 09:15:55 AM by TheExDeus » Logged
Reply #5 Posted on: February 10, 2014, 03:51:35 PM

View Profile Email
That function has always been in GM since like Direct3D was added, however the function is deprecated along with all the others in Studio. Now, that said, that function only sets the display resolution, so you will also need to size up your view to match the display resolution. Game Maker has always been quite a bit a pain in the ass in this department, just Google about setting the resolution for GM, anything that applies to GM applies to ENIGMA.

a pain in the ass indeed :P  So I guess I should not bother with resolution and simply allow the game to use whatever resolution the player has at runtime. :D  and let the engine take care of it.

Offline (Male) Jimmy_D
Reply #6 Posted on: February 14, 2014, 11:12:21 PM

View Profile
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

rotflmao !

oh this is just great.

more newbs want to make their newbie shite in high def !!! ahahahaha

upscaling your shitty ass graphics to high def won't make your game any better lad !

Offline (Male) Jimmy_D
Reply #7 Posted on: February 14, 2014, 11:13:15 PM

View Profile

a pain in the ass indeed :P  So I guess I should not bother with resolution and simply allow the game to use whatever resolution the player has at runtime. :D  and let the engine take care of it.

That's right mate, you should not bother and spare the world of yet another crappy game !
Offline (Male) time-killer-games
Reply #8 Posted on: February 14, 2014, 11:21:47 PM

Contributor

View Profile Email
Don't call our games shit unless you have the balls to prove you can barely cough up something remotely half as decent. Easier said than done. :P if youre so badass prove you are instead of throwing seriously annoying cry baby rants.Until you do this, I have no possible means to take you seriously. Just a thought.
Offline (Male) Josh @ Dreamland
Reply #9 Posted on: February 15, 2014, 08:26:49 AM

Prince of all Goldfish
Developer

View Profile Email
Jimmy, you're doing that thing again where you show up and insult random users without provocation or even context. You should probably stop that before someone removes the ability to post, or provides that context.
"That is the single most cryptic piece of code I have ever seen." -Master PobbleWobble
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -Evelyn Beatrice Hall, Friends of Voltaire
Reply #10 Posted on: February 15, 2014, 05:20:10 PM

View Profile Email
Don't call our games shit unless you have the balls to prove you can barely cough up something remotely half as decent. Easier said than done. :P if youre so badass prove you are instead of throwing seriously annoying cry baby rants.Until you do this, I have no possible means to take you seriously. Just a thought.

How can he talk about our games when there aren't any ?

1) As far as I know you haven't even released a playable version of your game

2) I haven't posted any screenshots nor game yet.

But he's probably right, mine will probably not be up to his expectations at first  ;D

Reply #11 Posted on: February 16, 2014, 02:59:23 PM

Contributor

View Profile Email
Seen my website? I have two decent games completed. =P

"Real Men Wear Pink HD" is about a guy getting revenge on high school bullies
and teachers who mocked him for always wearing his favorite color, pink.

"Attack of the Naked Blockheads 3D" was meant to make fun of public nudity,
rapists, pedophiles, and how stupid such hormonal freaks are.

They are meant to not be taken seriously so if your looking for a game that
isn't humor-based, but more serious, and having an in-depth story, going
by this standpoint I suppose you could say these games reek. But it's more
of a matter of personal taste than a quality issue, if you ask me.

If you want something more serious, "Dungeon Blabber" better fits the bill,
yes it hasn't been released yet, and the name sounds a bit comical, there's
a hidden meaning behind the title that isn't meantioned directly until you
you beat the game, and hints of the meaning is revealed gradually as you
progress. My website below.

http://www.timekillergames.tk/ OR
http://timekillergames.weebly.com/
Reply #12 Posted on: February 16, 2014, 07:11:20 PM

View Profile Email
Seen my website? I have two decent games completed. =P

"Real Men Wear Pink HD" is about a guy getting revenge on high school bullies
and teachers who mocked him for always wearing his favorite color, pink.

"Attack of the Naked Blockheads 3D" was meant to make fun of public nudity,
rapists, pedophiles, and how stupid such hormonal freaks are.

LOL!  Nice names !  That would make a good movie title too.

Would you consider a sequel ? Real Men Drive pink cars ? 

You should name one of your game characters after our newfound friend. :D

I like humor based games too!  same for movies.

Reply #13 Posted on: February 16, 2014, 09:04:14 PM

Contributor

View Profile Email
@DarkStar2: Thanks! Several hours ago I was editing my website and accidentally changed the template which really fucked up the alignment of everything and it looked hideous. Unfortunately I was unable to access my PC and couldn't fix it until just now. Now that it is both fixed and re-organized I encourage you to have a look at my site. I'm having mixed feelings about the current design, idk what exactly would look better.

http://www.timekillergames.tk/ OR
http://timekillergames.weebly.com/
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 09:05:45 PM by time-killer-games » Logged
Pages: 1
  Print