Recently there have been many IDEs that start floating around. I've noticed that more or less, they do the same.
Ideas are crucial to creating anything. It seems like these IDEs are missing something. I want to make my IDE the best and most productive IDE out there, but I want to generate feedback. This should be useful for other IDEs too.
- Detachable workspace. You should be able to detach editors into their own windows.
- A universal property table. This should be able to edit any major settings of any resource type.
- An easy plugin manager. Even for the most trivial tasks.
- Save before compile. This is standard in most IDEs. You will lose less code this way.
- Multi-select on the hierarchy tree.
- Select multiple image frames at once. You should be able to perform operations on them all at once.
- Ideally, every operation should be hardware accelerated.
- Have layers for each image.
- Preview animations while editing.
- Auto tile. Auto detect tile borders and place the correct tile.
- Have layers for both objects and tiles.
- Manipulate (rotate, scale, etc) object instances in real time.
- Add a flood tool. Mainly useful for tiles, but should work for objects too.
- View a list of all current objects and tiles. This can be helpful for detecting resources that you may have duplicated or placed outside the map.
- Select/cut/copy/paste objects and resources in the map.
- Automatic light baking objects.
- Object/tile grouping. Create groups and place groups down as whole.
- Random paint groups. Choose a bunch of random tiles/objects and fill a selection of them.
I will add any other suggestions to this list if you post below!