Pages: 1 2
  Print  
Author Topic: GMS prices up again  (Read 6702 times)
Offline (Unknown gender) The 11th plague of Egypt
Posted on: October 30, 2014, 08:07:52 am

View Profile
GMS prices are going up again!

From this...

...to this :o

GMS Pro is 50% off right now (49$ instead of 99$)...
but the modules (the ones that are going to cost more) are not.

They are quickly pricing themselves out of their previous "school kid" market.

How are you guys doing on providing a free replacement? :D
Offline (Female) IsmAvatar
Reply #1 Posted on: October 30, 2014, 10:26:24 am

LateralGM Developer
LGM Developer

View Profile Email
More information here: http://help.yoyogames.com/entries/102854766-YYC-and-Pricing-Changes-November-2014
Offline (Unknown gender) Darkstar2
Reply #2 Posted on: October 30, 2014, 02:02:21 pm

View Profile Email
In all fairness, they gave an advance notice of this, long enough for people to take advantage and buy export modules they need, they too will get the YYC option free and save $100!  For SERIOUS developers, what's $100 more ?  Actually you are saving money.

Here is an example,
a developer who has GMS:Pro and wants to buy the android module.

Before they would have to pay the android module + pay $299 for the YYC.

Now they will pay the android module + $100 price increase....  Saving $199 !

Those who will be most affected by the price hike are those who want to purchase more than 3 modules.
But any developer who would do that is a serious dev, so not an issue.

All in all this is a good deal many don't realise. :D

The $299 price tag was a bundle price taking into account android, ios and windows...However those who had only windows and no exports STILL needed to cough up $299.  Instead of that the price of the YYC is spread across price increases for each module, SO, it's much for fair now.....and I'm sure people spending all this money on modules are not hobbyists spending hundreds of $ just for kicks.....:D

So people who later complain that the exports rose by $100 simply had ALL THIS TIME to just buy the module and save $100..... :P  This was announced since October 10, so people had almost 1 month !

Also YYG is not GIVING anything FREE lol.  This was an expected move, because of GMS 2.....

Cheers

Offline (Unknown gender) lonewolff
Reply #3 Posted on: October 30, 2014, 03:27:02 pm
"Guest"

Email
GMS prices are going up again!

From this...

...to this :o

GMS Pro is 50% off right now (49$ instead of 99$)...
but the modules (the ones that are going to cost more) are not.

They are quickly pricing themselves out of their previous "school kid" market.

How are you guys doing on providing a free replacement? :D

Yep, they are pricing themselves out of the 'hobbiest' market.

What are we doing about providing a free replacement? Funny you should ask :)

http://enigma-dev.org/forums/index.php?topic=2313.15

Some quick screenies to bring you up to speed

Someone needs to take advantage of YYG's misdirection  :D

I am coding this in a way to support Windows, OSX, Linux, iOS, and Android.  ;)

Going to test Linux later on today if time permits.  (Y)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 03:31:48 pm by lonewolff » Logged
Reply #4 Posted on: October 30, 2014, 04:39:18 pm

View Profile Email
Yeah but lonewolff your universal approach will have certain things in common with YYG, windows users will suffer, since you wan to make things universal across all platform, windows performance will take a hit and suffer in terms of features or speed as with GMS, unless you do things differently :D

Also YYG going in wrong direction, I might not agree necessarily anymore,
why ? Because GMS2 is coming soon,
so any opinions NOW would be biased.
We'd have to wait for GMS2 to see if YYG learned and grew or simply the same utter rubbish.  They seem to be making good decisions lately and good chances, will they keep up the trend ? I'm just 1 or 2 technicalities away from going back to using GMS exclusively........ :P  not bad, there were more than a dozen before .....

Reply #5 Posted on: October 30, 2014, 04:45:33 pm
"Guest"

Email
Yeah but lonewolff your universal approach will have certain things in common with YYG, windows users will suffer, since you wan to make things universal across all platform, windows performance will take a hit and suffer in terms of features or speed as with GMS, unless you do things differently :D

Allready proven that I am doing things differently. Windows users won't suffer one bit.  ;)

Also YYG going in wrong direction, I might not agree necessarily anymore,
why ? Because GMS2 is coming soon,
so any opinions NOW would be biased.
We'd have to wait for GMS2 to see if YYG learned and grew or simply the same utter rubbish.  They seem to be making good decisions lately and good chances, will they keep up the trend ? I'm just 1 or 2 technicalities away from going back to using GMS exclusively........ :P  not bad, there were more than a dozen before .....

I am talking price-wise. It is continually going up and up.

Functionality-wise GM:S is awesome and definately going in the right direction. But, they are leaving a gap for a new player by pricing out the hobbiest.

I am the 'new player'  ;)
Reply #6 Posted on: October 30, 2014, 05:36:10 pm

View Profile Email
I guess they want to aim their product to SERIOUS developers who would pay $299 for the android module with serious intentions ..... They don't want new people to do anything, only those serious devs with money lol.

Newbies have many other alternatives, but they come with a price:

1) Their learning curve is steep
2) Their learning curve is steep
and finally
3) Their learning curve is steep

Did I miss something ? :D

All they are effectively doing is pushing a segment of their market towards piracy :P

BUT the rape increase in price is strategic, it paves way for its alleged, subscription model in a near future....
and what better way to sell the concept of a subscription model ?
I'll give you only one guess. :D :P
Reply #7 Posted on: October 30, 2014, 05:51:46 pm
"Guest"

Email
Yep  ;)

And opens the door to my multi-billion dollar franchise  :D

What should I call my new Engine?  ::)
Reply #8 Posted on: October 30, 2014, 06:47:17 pm
"Guest"

Email
The only reason I have decided to start with my own game engine is the lack of direction in ENIGMA.

Any engine that can't decide on simple things like a solid licence after seven years, is pretty doomed. Seven years.

My licence:

• Closed source
  • Do whatever you like with the compiled application

Done  :)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 06:50:15 pm by lonewolff » Logged
Offline (Unknown gender) TheExDeus
Reply #9 Posted on: October 31, 2014, 06:16:42 am

Developer

View Profile
The possible license change is actually discussed only this year. Before nobody wanted anything different and it was made GPL for a reason. So yes, the license was decided on - GPL.
Offline (Unknown gender) egofree
Reply #10 Posted on: October 31, 2014, 06:58:14 am
Contributor

View Profile Email
  • Closed source

This means that when you will have not free time anymore or if you are not motivated anymore, the project will be doomed. As you working alone on this project, it is very likely to happen much sooner than on an open-project. Except of course, if you're starting a company and beginning to sell your application, but only a few people have the strength and competence to achieve this. It is not surprise that we have seen already on this forum people claiming that they will make their own engine, which would be of course much better than ENIGMA, only in a few days, and after that we never saw them again ! ;) People always underestimate the effort to make such a project. But anyway i wish you the best for your project, and i hope you will succeed, and i am wrong. That's was my two cents.  :)
I agree that the 'lack of direction' of ENIGMA can be a weakness, but at the same time as it is an open-source project, its has also a huge advantage. There is a only a few developers working on it (and half of them said last year that they were leaving the project  :D), but i am amazed to see how they can improve this project.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 11:14:06 am by egofree » Logged
Reply #11 Posted on: October 31, 2014, 12:22:18 pm

View Profile Email
I agree with Harri, there are advantages to open source, but searching online I could read many complaints and negativity towards open source licences. :D

True, closed source at least the end-user can do what they want with their compiles, however, and particularly in a one man product, if they have no more time or dedication, the product is doomed.  There are few examples of such things in rapid application development world...... Look what happened to MultimediaBuilder, a product that had amazing potential, made by MediaChance and a small team closed source.....it got doomed and abandoned because team members leaving and lead coder leaving......With open source it can be picked up and continued by others......open source means (in theory :D) different people can work on it and continuously improve it.....

The 2 biggest weaknesses of ENIGMA is
1) Licence
2) still tied to GM compatibility.
and now with GMS2 under way and new features being introduced, it is making ENIGMA a tad obsolete in that department, and the need to detach from GM a must ,or breaking it down into 2 projects.

On the other hand I support wolf,
his product will be unique, easy to use, fast, and end user can do what they want with what they compile,
in theory....:D  but he is in denial :D what he is trying to achieve requires more than a 1 man team, assuming he really is writing this from C++ and not Commodore 64 BASIC or ASM6502, then yeah, that would be different....... :P

So ENIGMA might not be that doomed after all....NOT YET.

It still is a bloody good deal for windows developers, and with the alleged subscription based model in GMS2 and price hikes, ENIGMA could very well get some opportunities as GM is clearly heading towards mobile / tablet development and rich developers :P

but who knows......GM can instantly rid ENIGMA if they wanted to.....add more unique functions to windows, bring back deprecated functions, add new ones, more optimised compiles, etc, and a better IDE.

In my opinion GMS2 might be what dooms ENIGMA....at least windows side...... but GMS2 given YYG's history probably won't be released before Q3-Q4 of 2015 and a STABLE release by 2016. SO plenty of time to polish ENIGMA's many knobs :P and plenty of time for lonewolf to code his ... paranormal, extra terrestrial engine :D
Offline (Unknown gender) TheExDeus
Reply #12 Posted on: October 31, 2014, 01:47:09 pm

Developer

View Profile
I never said anything about open-source or how it's better or worse than something else. I just clarified that the license isn't an "issue" for 7 years, as it was not ever brought up before spring this year.
Reply #13 Posted on: October 31, 2014, 04:14:42 pm

View Profile Email
I never said anything about open-source or how it's better or worse than something else. I just clarified that the license isn't an "issue" for 7 years, as it was not ever brought up before spring this year.

LOL Sorry Harri I meant egofree :P :)

Offline (Unknown gender) egofree
Reply #14 Posted on: October 31, 2014, 04:59:22 pm
Contributor

View Profile Email
By the way, if we try really to analyse the development of ENIGMA, i don't think the main problem was a 'lack of direction'. It was more a lack of human resources on the long term. Even if it's an open-source project, a 'newbie' can come and propose new important features, and i am sure everybody will accept if these features are useful and needed.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 05:02:02 pm by egofree » Logged
Pages: 1 2
  Print