Good evening all,
Last week I started a prototype to get ENIGMA working with SDL platform bindings (code here
). It was actually a lot easier than I thought, and we've got running games now:
I know that SDL is being bound, because the input's frozen. Whoops.
Anyway, so far this project was just for my own curiosity. I don't intend to continue it, but I wanted to check with you all first before abandoning it. Is this a wanted feature? Some benefits of SDL:
- It has mostly the same code on all 3 platforms (glXSwapIntervalEXT notwithstanding).
- SDL2 (which I am using) has support for Android. So... this makes things easier, right?
- Even if you never use it, it's always nice to have a "backup", and right now most "Platforms" only have 1 option.
- I have to fix all the xLib stuff anyway at some point, and switching to SDL might actually be easier.
- A lot of the code in Platforms/ is actually not platform-specific, so I'd have to do a lot of refactoring.
- This will inevitably lead to temporary breakage, which everyone (including me) hates.
- Basically, I only want to put in the extra effort if people will use it.
Side-note: Input does actually work in my test scripts; I'm not 100% sure why it's frozen in Project Mario.