ENIGMA Development Environment
Website is in read-only mode due to a recent attack.

Pages: 1
  Print  
Author Topic: Seg Fault once LGM opens ENIGMA  (Read 1890 times)
Offline (Male) nbeerbower
Posted on: September 09, 2012, 07:30:59 PM

View Profile Email
Hey Guys,

I got ENIGMA running on Windows (not using git), but I also wanted it on a Ubuntu VM. So far I've tried this on a 12.04 VM, a 10.04 VM, and a 10.04 laptop and I've had the same error each time.

I believe I've satisfied all the dependencies, I have the latest JDK, the latest git revision, ran the python script, etc. But I still get this when I open LGM: (Through the console using java -jar lgm16b4.jar)

Code: [Select]
Creating swap.
Dumping whiteSpace definitions...Opening ENIGMA for parse...
Segmentation fault

LGM opened fine first time and ENIGMA did it's intial stuff, once it finished it seg faulted like above. Now it does this immediately upon LGM's start up (once it has finished loading).

Considering this has happened to me across multiple machines I must be doing something wrong.

I appreciate the help.

Thanks,
-nbeerbower
Offline (Male) Josh @ Dreamland
Reply #1 Posted on: September 09, 2012, 08:26:04 PM

Prince of all Goldfish
Developer

View Profile Email
Assuming your binaries are all up-to-date, I'm not sure why this would happen. Ubuntu 12.04 is pretty uniform, even five months later. It seems odd to me that it has worked for everyone out of the box on 12.04, but isn't working on yours. To be on the safe side, could you run gcc -E -DJUST_DEFINE_IT_RUN -I. SHELLmain.cpp -o enigma_engine_segv.cpp from ENIGMAsystem/SHELL and upload the generated enigma_engine_segv.cpp somewhere? The segfault seems related to the new parser, but no one else has reported it.

Are you on 32 bit, perhaps? To my knowledge, all of our testers thus far have been on 64. It would help me diagnose the problem better if I knew that.
"That is the single most cryptic piece of code I have ever seen." -Master PobbleWobble
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -Evelyn Beatrice Hall, Friends of Voltaire
Offline (Male) nbeerbower
Reply #2 Posted on: September 10, 2012, 02:19:11 PM

View Profile Email
Ah, I am on 32 bit. I'll have to try it on a 64-bit linux machine.

But anyway here's that file:
http://www.filedropper.com/enigmaenginesegv
Reply #3 Posted on: September 10, 2012, 06:42:12 PM

Prince of all Goldfish
Developer

View Profile Email
Did some basic testing. No segfault when reading that engine file on 64 bit, but I notice an increased number of error messages printed—about three times as many as on the 64-bit equivalents of Windows and Linux.

That said, the issue could very well be with the preprocessor. It might be best if you could check out JDI and run the test manually, so we know for sure that the problem is with JDI. If you stop in on the IRC, I'll be happy to walk you through it. Otherwise, hold tight until I can get a 32bit VM at my disposal (I don't have the resources where I am now).
"That is the single most cryptic piece of code I have ever seen." -Master PobbleWobble
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -Evelyn Beatrice Hall, Friends of Voltaire
Reply #4 Posted on: September 22, 2012, 02:51:31 PM

Prince of all Goldfish
Developer

View Profile Email
I have committed a fix to JDI which remedies a couple memory issues (the only two I could detect in parsing every header I could think of).

If it still has a problem, I'm not sure what to try next.
Pages: 1
  Print