Minor update to this topic because I have run across the fact that my old Dropbox links have gone dead. I stopped using Dropbox about a year ago but have backed up all of my files from there. I spoke with Josh and asked him about putting Project Mario up on the EDC and he actually went so far as to fix EDC game uploading. I'm now hosting the project's source there.https://enigma-dev.org/edc/games.php?game=76
I believe this is carried on from the ISO compliant version because I notice I use all forward slashes for filepaths instead of backslashes. Which is fine either way, GM8.1 should handle forward slashes just fine. To get this version to build on the latest master you just need to use the OpenAL audio system because the DirectSound audio system seems to have some issues with some of the WAV audio files.
Over the years since I posted this topic, ENIGMA has changed significantly. The only main issue I have found with running the game in the good old OpenGL1 is that Mario's head does not appear on the start screen. This is likely due to a change in the clipping planes of the projection function when I switched ENIGMA to GLM. Direct3D9 has also seemed to have developed some surface issues at some point. Regardless, I am generally happy that the game continues to work so well despite some of our massive overhauling of the models and everything (thanks continuous integration!).