Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ENIGMA games on DS  (Read 1780 times)
Offline (Unknown gender) MrGriggs
Posted on: December 21, 2010, 08:42:19 AM

View Profile Email
Will ENIGMA eventually have support for the nintendo DS, to compile and run ENIGMA games on it?
Offline (Male) Josh @ Dreamland
Reply #1 Posted on: December 21, 2010, 08:12:01 PM

Prince of all Goldfish
Developer

View Profile Email
Yes. Miky started a port for it an eternity ago, when developing for ENIGMA was difficult. By today's standard, ENIGMA for DS would be hundreds of times easier (soon to be thousands when I begin the Wii port later this month).
"That is the single most cryptic piece of code I have ever seen." -Master PobbleWobble
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -Evelyn Beatrice Hall, Friends of Voltaire
Reply #2 Posted on: December 22, 2010, 09:08:40 AM

View Profile Email
Great, I'll be getting a DS just for this purpose :).
Offline (Male) kkg
Reply #3 Posted on: December 22, 2010, 09:42:01 AM

MSN Messenger - kamikazigames@gmail.com
View Profile Email
Fuck yeah, I'd love to make DS homebrew. I have an original (legit) R4 card and I download and use homebrew all the time.

I'm probably the only legit user of a flash card in Australia, the rest of us just pirate everything we can <_<
PC: Core i7-2600 @ 3.8ghz | 4x 4gb G.Skill RipjawZ DDR3-2000 | GTX580 | Win7 x64
Time is the greatest teacher, however it kills every single one of its pupils.
Post made December 22, 2010, 06:48:11 PM was deleted at the author's request.
Offline (Unknown gender) TGMG
Reply #5 Posted on: December 24, 2010, 04:18:01 AM

Developer

View Profile WWW Email
I have just managed to get the psp version of enigma compiling and linking for ds, but since unlike pretty much every other platform enigma is on there is no opengl (no similar library like gx/PSGL either) so the graphics system will have to be written completely from scratch. Since it would just be 2d stuff i was either thinking of using PAlib which would be ds only or SDL which might allow easier porting to other platforms in the future.

But the ds brings alot of problems for the development process, enigma can't just write the resources to the end of the file, or even write to a data file like it does on psp, the sprites need to be converted at compile time using a tool that comes with the ds sdk. Which means enigma would need to have a different system where it exports images as png to a specific folder, so requires specific ds code in the compiler :/
The other obvious problem is the ds is a much more limited system so probably runs the games painfully slow and ofc as we don't have a graphics system I can't test that.
But at least it compiles and links :)

The .nds binary it creates is 723kb, i'm not sure how big this is compared to other nds games/homebrew or if it will be a problem.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 04:20:20 AM by TGMG » Logged
me
GMbed 2.0 :: Embed you gm games in websites.
Reply #6 Posted on: December 24, 2010, 05:24:38 AM

View Profile Email
^^^

I was wondering this, I assumed that the DS wouldn't use opengl and thus the graphics library would need to be changed.

Is there a way to use the same as a the DS Game Maker. or is it exclusive to them.
Reply #7 Posted on: December 24, 2010, 06:49:42 AM

Developer

View Profile WWW Email
The DS Game Maker uses PAlib which enigma could use, main concern is that its a little too highlevel and no longer maintained, but just looked at the sdl port for ds and it doesn't look to be maintained at all or optimised for ds. I don't really know enough about ds homebrew to make that decision right now, but if anyone has any ideas please post :) i'm probably leaning more towards PAlib as it *should* be much more optimised for ds.
me
Offline (Male) Josh @ Dreamland
Reply #8 Posted on: December 24, 2010, 07:17:58 AM

Prince of all Goldfish
Developer

View Profile Email
I'll be dealing with most of the problems you named for the DS when I do the Wii version. Sprites will need overhaul for use on phones anyway (for starters, storing them in strips rather than in individual texture buffers).

The DS -does- support 3D, though, and I do not intend to forsake that functionality. Just leave that part to me.

I'm presently combating something nasty with the compiler. When I'm done with that, I'm going to spend the next couple days making sure I got the job done, then I'll begin the Wii port which will use a custom GX graphics system. That is the only way ENIGMA will ever work at any considerably efficient rate on the DS. The prospect of Game Maker for DS existing infuriates me, but this is the one platform that I can say beyond the shadow of a doubt that GM will not even stand a snowball's chance in hell against ENIGMA. Every fucking microsecond finally counts, and that miserable interpreter of there's will be the end of them.
"That is the single most cryptic piece of code I have ever seen." -Master PobbleWobble
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -Evelyn Beatrice Hall, Friends of Voltaire
Reply #9 Posted on: December 24, 2010, 08:00:56 AM

Developer

View Profile WWW Email
Ignore everything i said about the graphics system, the nds sdk does have opengl support built in (well an API thats supposed to look similar to opengl), so thats good :) The hard part will be making it efficient.
me
Pages: [1]
  Print