Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Android support  (Read 1749 times)
Offline (Unknown gender) TGMG
Posted on: August 14, 2010, 11:04:26 AM

Developer

View Profile WWW Email
Well after a whole day of headaches I finally managed to get enigma to compile and run on the android :D
It uses the same opengles renderer as the iphone so only need to keep 1 renderer up to date for both of them. I have no idea if it actually runs on the device, I have a feeling that it is using a ton of memory :/
No audio support as android doesn't seem to come with the library, will need to compile it myself I think. Also it needs a special ndk sdk which support the c++ libraries.

Anyway screenshot:

Btw any chance I can get svn commit access and become an enigma developer?

Also what is the best way of passing veriables to the enigma compiler? Atm the target is hard coded in the compiler so it would be nice to have a menu option to select target mac/iphone/ipad/android and various settings such as minimum sdk version and whether to deploy to device.
me
GMbed 2.0 :: Embed you gm games in websites.
Offline (Male) Josh @ Dreamland
Reply #1 Posted on: August 14, 2010, 11:31:12 AM

Prince of all Goldfish
Developer

View Profile Email
Also what is the best way of passing veriables to the enigma compiler? Atm the target is hard coded in the compiler so it would be nice to have a menu option to select target mac/iphone/ipad/android and various settings such as minimum sdk version and whether to deploy to device.
I've been working on a YAML-based crawler that would harvest just such information. I was planning on doing the same to store available compilers and their respective bin paths. I needed more insight into the other platforms, though, which it seems you can now provide.

And yes, SVN privileges/etc; done. You can commit any time; we still need to discuss, though, what all strings you pulled to implement those platforms so I can add support for switching between the changed settings to the ENIGMA settings via its YAML interface.

So yeah, please do meet me on the IRC.
"That is the single most cryptic piece of code I have ever seen." -Master PobbleWobble
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -Evelyn Beatrice Hall, Friends of Voltaire
Offline (Male) RetroX
Reply #2 Posted on: August 14, 2010, 01:47:12 PM

Master of all things Linux
Contributor
MSN Messenger - classixretrox@gmail.com
View Profile Email
Wouldn't iPad and iPhone have the same binaries? O_O
My Box: Phenom II 3.4GHz X4 | ASUS ATI RadeonHD 5770, 1GB GDDR5 RAM | 1x4GB DDR3 SRAM | Arch Linux, x86_64 (Cube) / Windows 7 x64 (Blob)
Quote from: Fede-lasse
Why do all the pro-Microsoft people have troll avatars? :(
Offline (Unknown gender) Omega_red
Reply #3 Posted on: October 11, 2010, 03:56:40 PM

View Profile
Too epic for words!
Offline (Unknown gender) freezway
Reply #4 Posted on: October 19, 2010, 01:04:20 AM

View Profile
I'm gunna be leading a game design club for android at my school, if you could get this working by november that would be awesome. I would certainly use it, the hitch is that it would have to be able to compile from windows the operating system that makes no sense, to android (we only have windows computers at or computer lab.)
But anyways, when working on things with enigma, assuming you don't add dependencies, can you write the code like you would normally?

Edit: I have a galaxy s if you need testing
if you drop a cat with buttered toast strapped to its back, which side lands down?
joshdreamland: our languages are based on the idea that it's going to end up FUBAR
/kick retep998
Offline (Male) Josh @ Dreamland
Reply #5 Posted on: October 19, 2010, 09:31:32 AM

Prince of all Goldfish
Developer

View Profile Email
Yes. In the beginning, when the earth was young and ENIGMA was just an idea entering the planning phase, Dave asked me why I would bother keeping GML. I told him it could attract some of the GM crowd, of course, but that having a wrapper to everything would mean that we could switch out the API without changing any of the high-level code. Three years later, that's a reality.

Right now, only Apple can compile for Android, because that's what TGMG was writing it on. But I imagine he can make it work for Windows. I'll not volunteer him for the job, though.
"That is the single most cryptic piece of code I have ever seen." -Master PobbleWobble
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -Evelyn Beatrice Hall, Friends of Voltaire
Offline (Unknown gender) freezway
Reply #6 Posted on: October 19, 2010, 11:28:26 PM

View Profile
I'd do it if i could....
if you drop a cat with buttered toast strapped to its back, which side lands down?
joshdreamland: our languages are based on the idea that it's going to end up FUBAR
/kick retep998
Offline (Unknown gender) TGMG
Reply #7 Posted on: October 22, 2010, 01:26:50 PM

Developer

View Profile WWW Email
Yes it is definitely possible to get android support on windows and linux, its really just a case of changing the paths to the android sdk. I will work on it when lgm has a nice way of choosing between the target platforms.

Btw you will need the android sdk and a custom ndk to get it to compile, so make sure you can install them on the lab computers.
me
GMbed 2.0 :: Embed you gm games in websites.
Pages: [1]
  Print