Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Enigma IDE (written in C++ using the Qt Framework)  (Read 9595 times)
Offline (Male) antidote
Posted on: August 18, 2009, 01:27:17 PM

View Profile Email
Well not yet, I've been thinking about writing this little beauty for a while now, I believe that if we were able to actually get a decent Editor going specifically for Enigma that this would help boon support for the project.

Currently all I have is a simple PNG file which is meant to be edited with ideas for features.
Feel free add your ideas

Dev's would be nice, especially Linux dev's, since I'm still learning C++ I certainly can't pull of a project like this by myself yet. As well as a good hosting site with decent SVN support and bugtracking.

Also I'm only going to work out the specifics of the main editor for now, Object Editor and the Script editor will be handled later I want to get an idea of what people want in an IDE for enigma.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 10:02:47 PM by antidote » Logged
Offline (Unknown gender) Game_boy
Reply #1 Posted on: August 18, 2009, 02:05:20 PM

View Profile
How is LateralGM deficient, in your opinion?
Offline (Male) antidote
Reply #2 Posted on: August 18, 2009, 02:46:25 PM

View Profile Email
It isn't, It's just that i'd just like to take a crack at making an IDE. Sorry if I offended.

EDIT:
Well I guess I can't say that, LGM just feels a little tacked on atm
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 02:56:19 PM by antidote » Logged
Offline (Female) IsmAvatar
Reply #3 Posted on: August 18, 2009, 11:54:24 PM

LateralGM Developer
LGM Developer

View Profile Email
Actually LGM isn't "tacked on". We're both essentially the same project, an "alternative GM". However, we figured it would be most efficient if we split up into 2 teams - one to develop an IDE, and the other to develop the compiler. Originally the project was going to be entirely in Java, but then Josh offered to make it in C, and he was making very rapid progress, so I gave it to him.

Since the IDE and the compiler are completely separate, you're welcome to develop your own IDE. I'd love to help, but I don't know C++; only C. I exclusively use Linux, and wrote most of the Linux UI code for Enigma (in C - I think Josh has upgraded it to C++ since then).
For SVN hosting, I'd recommend sourceforge or google. LateralGM uses opensvn.csie.org (since it was one of the first to offer Trac), but they have a lot of downtime, and sourceforge has since added the ability to use trac.

Having 2 IDEs is a good thing because then it gives the user choice, and there's no monopoly on the IDE.
Offline (Male) Josh @ Dreamland
Reply #4 Posted on: August 20, 2009, 07:52:38 AM

Prince of all Goldfish
Developer

View Profile Email
I can see it feeling that way because everything that goes on between LGM and ENIGMA is basically a hack.
We tried making ENIMGA a DLL for LGM to load, but that didn't go so well.
You and I probably need to try that again, Ism.

It also doesn't help that Java performs differently on every computer I've tried it on.
"That is the single most cryptic piece of code I have ever seen." -Master PobbleWobble
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -Evelyn Beatrice Hall, Friends of Voltaire
Offline (Unknown gender) score_under
Reply #5 Posted on: August 20, 2009, 09:14:47 AM

View Profile
ENIMGA
By the way Antidote, did you index that 2-colour PNG?
Reply #6 Posted on: August 21, 2009, 07:35:52 PM

Prince of all Goldfish
Developer

View Profile Email
I was honestly bound to make that typo at some point.

Also, I don't see a problem with LGM, but I'm all for an official IDE. The hard part will be the room and path editors, I imagine.
"That is the single most cryptic piece of code I have ever seen." -Master PobbleWobble
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -Evelyn Beatrice Hall, Friends of Voltaire
Offline (Male) RetroX
Reply #7 Posted on: August 21, 2009, 07:48:51 PM

Master of all things Linux
Contributor
MSN Messenger - classixretrox@gmail.com
View Profile Email
GTK+ is how I would expect it to go, since it's a great cross-platform toolkit for interfaces and such.  And the alternate would be coding a different interface for each OS, which would be a pain.
My Box: Phenom II 3.4GHz X4 | ASUS ATI RadeonHD 5770, 1GB GDDR5 RAM | 1x4GB DDR3 SRAM | Arch Linux, x86_64 (Cube) / Windows 7 x64 (Blob)
Quote from: Fede-lasse
Why do all the pro-Microsoft people have troll avatars? :(
Offline (Male) Rusky
Reply #8 Posted on: August 22, 2009, 01:15:09 PM

Resident Troll
MSN Messenger - rpjohnst@gmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
wxWidgets or XUL might also be possibilities, although XUL is a little bloated as it is now.
Reply #9 Posted on: August 24, 2009, 09:23:41 PM

Prince of all Goldfish
Developer

View Profile Email
If I had to choose one, it'd be wxWidgets, I imagine. I've used wxWidgets applications without ever knowing they were cross platform. That's more than I can say for so much as one GTK application. I mean, aside from the obvious GIMP, whose main toolbar... WINDOW... is so inconvenient and tedious to find that it isn't worth using it at all (until recently, as it now floats on top, but still kinda wreaks), who everyone knows is GTK, even the ones who don't know what GTK is. Let's look at Pidgin.

One fine day, I'm on Pidgin, as I need to speak to Ism on LGM matters. My contact list isn't enormous, but it's convenient to just type the first few letters of the name you're looking for and hit enter. I do that for all my Windows applications.

So I get as far as the first letter, when the box that pops up freezes. Won't accept input. But it had selected her name.

So I press Enter. Nothing happens.
So I press Escape. Nothing happens.

Each time I forgot in any GTK app, I'd be stuck waiting for five seconds for the damn box to go away. That includes GIMP's file selector.

Oh, and in my getting mad about the little things, I didn't even mention that GTK has a 17 or so MB runtime, that basically every program that uses it comes with an updated version of. The compiler's big enough; MinGW is roughly 10MB zipped. ENIGMA adds another couple to that. Can't really say I want a 19 MB runner if it can be avoided.

However. Despite it all, GTK is relatively clean, and ENIGMA could use an interface that can be natively compiled without incident, or breaking GPL rules. So no matter what runtime/API anyone uses, I'd be happy to see an interface.

Though as the above suggests, I'm partial to wx. I started making a UI one day before I realized what a task it'd be. Did I mention Code::Blocks has a built-in wxWidgets WYSI(basically)WYG editor?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 09:25:23 PM by Josh @ Dreamland » Logged
Offline (Male) RetroX
Reply #10 Posted on: August 24, 2009, 10:15:51 PM

Contributor
View Profile Email
I would like GTK.  Josh, I've never had those problems.  Must be just you. :/

You could also use Qt instead if you need another option.
My Box: Phenom II 3.4GHz X4 | ASUS ATI RadeonHD 5770, 1GB GDDR5 RAM | 1x4GB DDR3 SRAM | Arch Linux, x86_64 (Cube) / Windows 7 x64 (Blob)
Reply #11 Posted on: August 24, 2009, 10:34:31 PM

Prince of all Goldfish
Developer

View Profile Email
You're a Linux user. The Developers care what their stuff looks like on Linux, and Linux endorses GTK, so your pidgin download isn't 20MB.
Offline (Unknown gender) score_under
Reply #12 Posted on: August 25, 2009, 04:22:17 PM

View Profile
I wish that GTK search box was better documented.
Offline (Unknown gender) luiscubal
Reply #13 Posted on: August 28, 2009, 04:30:58 PM

View Profile Email
GTK+ for Windows is a nightmare. I have to agree with Josh on this one.
The simple concept of installable "runtime" is ugly enough. Specially since far fewer people have GTK+ compared to the number of people with Java or .NET installed.
wxWidgets is not perfect, but it is better than GTK+.
Offline (Male) RetroX
Reply #14 Posted on: August 28, 2009, 09:41:25 PM

Contributor
View Profile Email
You're a Linux user. The Developers care what their stuff looks like on Linux, and Linux endorses GTK, so your pidgin download isn't 20MB.
I was a Windows user as well until Win7 stopped working and I've neglected to reinstall it

I suppose we shall go with wxWidgets.  Either that or Qt.  Those are the only three things you should consider at all, and Qt is #3.

Does Firefox use XUL?  I thought it did.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print