Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: What now?  (Read 1187 times)
Offline (Unknown gender) daz
Reply #30 Posted on: December 13, 2016, 12:06:12 AM
Contributor

View Profile
OK it's hard to really organize my thoughts.

ENIGMA has always been buggy. It's just a fact with a smaller number of developers.

ENIGMA is a behemoth. It's very hard to actually start anywhere developing the engine itself.

I tried contributing to LGM a lot back in the day. Ism didn't like my code. Not that I can blame her, but we had very different ideas on what LGM should be.

Now I can't even find info on what the most up to date repo for that is, that is even accepting pull requests.

An IDE can definitely be critical for the success or failure of the project, but they're an absolute bitch and a half to write. Also keeping compatibility with GameMaker is problematic, as that thing changes all the time. They deprecated features throughout the entire development cycle of GM:S as they changed how they worked. Do we support the old? The new? Both? It's a fucking mess.

I tried to install ENIGMA yesterday for the first time in probably 2 years. Wow. I still have my GM:S Master license which is more feature complete for sure, and there are lots of easily available free to use and some open source engines now (Unity, Unreal Engine 4, Cry Engine, Amazon Lumberyard, Godot), but I got the development itch and tried to come back to my old friend.

I tried to install ENIGMA, and LGM can't even read the ENIGMA dll. I looked on the git issues, and there's 2 issues one for Mac and one for Linux. Guess what? ENIGMA is broken on all 3 of your supported platforms and nobody bothered to fix it. I just gave up at that point. I could poke around, but I don't know ENIGMA internals very well. Is it LGM? Enigma.jar? Why is it looking for compileEGMf in enigma.jar? Did a java version change break it? It's a lot of debugging.

Anyway.

Things have changed drastically. I'm mainly interested in Android (still), and they've now moved away from GCC. The last time me and Josh looked at this we were changing Makefiles left and right and still never got it working. Look. I want to write an OpenGLES 2 graphics system and basic Android Java template which supports touch and sound, but I've never even been able to get the thing to compile. This is beyond my expertise.

I work as a web developer now, I'm not good with low level programming or system design. I have to rely on other people for that, and nobody has ever been able to deliver those skills so I haven't really had anything I could do.

I hope ENIGMA doesn't die, but I think it needs a complete structural overhaul, new IDE we can commit to, and at least 1 or 2 active developers to help the lower tier people such as myself out with harder problems so we can take on the easier stuff and move along forward faster.

-daz
Offline (Unknown gender) faissaloo
Reply #31 Posted on: December 13, 2016, 09:21:23 AM

View Profile Email
ENIGMA is a behemoth. It's very hard to actually start anywhere developing the engine itself.
It needs documentation, the engine itself is pretty understandable and easy to navigate, the compiler is much more complex.
I tried contributing to LGM a lot back in the day. Ism didn't like my code. Not that I can blame her, but we had very different ideas on what LGM should be.
What did happen to Ism anyway? It seems like she just disappeared all of a sudden.
Now I can't even find info on what the most up to date repo for that is, that is even accepting pull requests.
https://github.com/IsmAvatar/LateralGM
An IDE can definitely be critical for the success or failure of the project, but they're an absolute bitch and a half to write. Also keeping compatibility with GameMaker is problematic, as that thing changes all the time. They deprecated features throughout the entire development cycle of GM:S as they changed how they worked. Do we support the old? The new? Both? It's a fucking mess.
Both for the most part.
I tried to install ENIGMA, and LGM can't even read the ENIGMA dll. I looked on the git issues, and there's 2 issues one for Mac and one for Linux. Guess what? ENIGMA is broken on all 3 of your supported platforms and nobody bothered to fix it. I just gave up at that point. I could poke around, but I don't know ENIGMA internals very well. Is it LGM? Enigma.jar? Why is it looking for compileEGMf in enigma.jar? Did a java version change break it? It's a lot of debugging.
Works fine on Linux and OSX, Wangblows is broken as hell though, because it sucks horribly and has to be special all the time. The solution to your problem is to make it use 32-bit Java https://enigma-dev.org/docs/Wiki/Install:Parallel_Java
This is beyond my expertise.

I work as a web developer now, I'm not good with low level programming or system design. I have to rely on other people for that, and nobody has ever been able to deliver those skills so I haven't really had anything I could do.
Then learn.

Also, I'm teaching myself libclang and the compiler codebase right now in the hopes that we can switch from JDI.
Offline (Male) rcobra
Reply #32 Posted on: December 23, 2016, 07:27:40 AM

View Profile WWW
hi, from my point of view

As GM's out-of-the-box, a better integration C++ from scripting language LUA / JavaScript
which would solve a lot of problems, maybe you would do it like http://www.maratis3d.org/,
or go further and use the compiler translates http://www.monkey-x.com/

IDE (LGM) maybe not be perfect but it works :)

Improved compatibility with GM API, or determine how compliance is good with a version of GM (GM5, GM6, GM7, GM8, GM81, GMS1)

It should improve the errors and missing support for operating systems and stability

The project is not bad, but lacks direction Development
ps.sorry for my english
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print