Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: GMS 2.0  (Read 1564 times)
Offline (Unknown gender) Lycanphoenix
Reply #45 Posted on: February 15, 2017, 10:53:36 PM

View Profile Email
I have a copy of the GM:S 2.0 free trial right now, maybe I can help you verify, Darkstar?

I'm currently trying to create automated scripts for GM:S 1.4 to enable backwards compatibility with GameMaker 8.0/8.1 projects, but the folks at YoYo don't tell me which functions got replaced with which other functions, or how the new functions work, only which ones got removed period.

If somebody could lend me a hand, I'd be grateful. I plan to redistribute the backwards compatibility kit when it's eventually finished.

I will manage to beat YoYo at their own game, one way or another. It all boils down to a function of time and manpower.
Offline (Male) time-killer-games
Reply #46 Posted on: February 16, 2017, 12:17:11 AM

View Profile WWW Email
You don't need all that information to make 8.1 projects compatible. All you need to do is import a GMK/GM81 file into either LGM or GameMaker Studio 1.4.x and save it as a GMX probject folder that can be imported into GameMaker Studio 2. In this sense, it's already possible and easy to do. For all functions that were removed, GameMaker Studio 2 creates compatibility scripts for.
Offline (Unknown gender) Lycanphoenix
Reply #47 Posted on: February 16, 2017, 01:41:28 AM

View Profile Email
I already know how to import stuff into GM:S 1.4, but it doesn't actually make it compatible. For instance, many features built-in to older versions are still relied on. On the YoYo Games forums, it was mentioned that GM:S 2.0 doesn't even support backgrounds! And of course, the only versions of GM:S 2.0 you can get are timed Free Trial of the Beta, missing tons and tons of critical features (including the ability to import things, and whatnot) and the expensive, full version of the Beta. Not good for somebody with an unstable income...

If I'm able to back-port the compatibility scripts into 1.4, then maybe, but to my knowledge all they are actually built for are making GM:S 1.4 projects compatible with GM:S 2.0, not making GM 8.1 projects compatible with GM:S 1.4.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 01:45:46 AM by Lycanphoenix » Logged
Offline (Male) time-killer-games
Reply #48 Posted on: February 16, 2017, 02:13:27 AM

View Profile WWW Email
Yes, no backgrounds. When you import your 1.4 project into 2.0, it converts all backgrounds into sprites, effectively changing nothing to how the game is supposed to look.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print